Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 08:48 AM

17,637 posts, read 6,918,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In the first eight months of 2022, 41,885 New Yorkers relocated to Florida, and Governor Ron DeSantis is welcoming them with open arms. Migration in the other direction is essentially nil by comparison. If the exodus continues at its current pace, New York is on track to suffer the largest loss of residents to a single other state ever recorded in a single year.

People living across the river in New Jersey have followed a similar pattern. The Garden State recorded 3,059 people moving to Florida in August. That was also a new record for them. Likely for the same reasons, California has posted similar numbers of transfers to Florida.
Link: https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2022/09...lorida-n498056

Can't blame them. Hopefully Florida is getting Republicans and not Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 08:50 AM

4,549 posts, read 2,273,716 times
All I can say to those fleeing is don't NY my FL. Vote for lower taxes, smaller government and freedom instead of the stupid policies from the places you are fleeing from. There will be no where else to go once Texas, TN and Florida fall.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
All I can say to those fleeing is don't NY my FL. Vote for lower taxes, smaller government and freedom instead of the stupid policies from the places you are fleeing from. There will be no where else to go once Texas, TN and Florida fall.
Exactly. I suspect the majority, if not the overwhelming majority, of those fleeing deep blue hellholes like New York are conservatives.

I got out of Maryland because of the politics, crimes, taxes, and left wing lunatics. I'm definitely not alone, and I won't be voting for another Democrat in this lifetime.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:09 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,153,249 times
What is surprising here? The Northeast and the Upper Midwest have been emptying into Florida for at least a century. I'm not kidding. My husband's grandparents decamped for Florida in 1926 and never looked back. Not my thing, but they loved it.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
What is surprising here? The Northeast and the Upper Midwest have been emptying into Florida for at least a century. I'm not kidding. My husband's grandparents left the cold, wet north for Florida in 1926 and never looked back. Not my thing, but they loved it.
"Record Numbers" is what's surprising. You can thank the left wing lunatics and their politicians for driving all the sane people out at an unprecedented pace.

Perhaps you should take a bow yourself, if you live in one of those dumps and vote Democrat.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:32 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
"Record Numbers" is what's surprising. You can thank the left wing lunatics and their politicians for driving all the sane people out at an unprecedented pace.

Perhaps you should take a bow yourself, if you live in one of those dumps and vote Democrat.
Well, baby boomers are reaching retirement age now in record numbers, so that could account for it.

And I love this. More blue voters moving into red states can only bode well for the future of Florida.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:34 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,153,249 times
Quote:

You know nothing about me, so stop making assumptions, please. I live neither in the Northeast nor the Upper Midwest, but I grew up in the Midwest, and lots of my family members made their way to Florida after retirement, so I'm familiar with the state.

If you look at Florida's population growth over time, the greatest spikes were in the mid-1920s (9% in 1925) when my husband's grandparents moved there and again in the early 1940s (14% in 1943) before declining precipitously the very next year. There was another major boom in the 1950s. Beyond that, the Florida growth rate has been on the decline with the exception of a brief boost in the early seventies and the turn of the millenium, which is right around when the most recent generation of retirees in my family joined the exodus. I'm glad they enjoy it, but I have no plans to do the same.

[URL="https://floridahistory.org/landboom.htm"]Florida in the land boom of the 1920s[/URL]

Last edited by kj1065; 09-21-2022 at 09:46 AM..

Old 09-21-2022, 09:39 AM

408 posts, read 291,302 times
Quote:

I don’t think it has anything to do with the Republican Party being better than the Democratic Party, but it does have to do with one party running a state with no competition from a rivaling party. It creates laziness in the public sector. This is humanly understandable. New York City is far from a city that wrecked itself over the last century, NYC has gone through rises and falls and rises and falls. 1990s and early 2000s New York was a super strong economic powerhouse. Bloomberg NYC was happening and GDP soared. Pandemic hit NYC hard though. NYC May have done well as some of its Mayors and state Governors were not Democrats. That’s because political scandals tipped opportunity to some Republican candidates. This created competitive pressure on both parties.

Let’s look at red states. Many deep red places also did not accomplish much in 50 years. GDP numbers are not too glowing in Mississippi, Arkansas, West Virginia.

And Florida Texas North Carolina and Arizona are swing states with more competition of the mixture of political divides. This competition is GOOD.

I think the Democratic Party is too big and it should split into 2 or 3 factions. Initially, the factions should agree to unite as a bloc against GOP only when GOP is a rival, but over time they should plan to be independent parties with different constituents. This will pressure the split groups to compete for who can do more to boost jobs and economy and satisfy the public voters.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:41 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
I don’t think it has anything to do with the Republican Party being better than the Democratic Party, but it does have to do with one party running a state with no competition from a rivaling party. It creates laziness in the public sector. This is humanly understandable. New York City is far from a city that wrecked itself over the last century, NYC has gone through rises and falls and rises and falls. 1990s and early 2000s New York was a super strong economic powerhouse. Bloomberg NYC was happening and GDP soared. Pandemic hit NYC hard though. NYC May have done well as some of its Mayors and state Governors were not Democrats. That’s because political scandals tipped opportunity to some Republican candidates.

Let’s look at red states. Many deep red places also did not accomplish much in 50 years. GDP numbers are not too glowing in Mississippi, Arkansas, West Virginia.

And Florida Texas North Carolina and Arizona are swing states with more competition of the mixture of political divides. This competition is GOOD.

I think the Democratic Party is too big and it should split into 2 or 3 factions. Initially, the factions should agree to unite as a bloc against GOP only when GOP is a rival, but over time they should plan to be independent parties with different constituents. This will pressure the split groups to compete for who can do more to boost jobs and economy and satisfy the public voters.
I think the GOP should split into the Republican party (aka RINOs) and the Party of Trump. They are now two separate entities. And the GOP could join forces with the Democrats to vote against the MAGAs.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I think the GOP should split into the Republican party (aka RINOs) and the Party of Trump. They are now two separate entities. And the GOP could join forces with the Democrats to vote against the MAGAs.
The RINOs already vote with the Marxists. They even contribute to pedophile rings like the Lincoln Project and raise money for Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies