Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 05:56 PM

1,353 posts, read 789,796 times

Advertisements

People turn to these devices for all kinds of unneeded updates including performing simple math problems so they don't have to think.

https://brucewilds.blogspot.com/2022...bing-down.html

Old 09-24-2022, 06:00 PM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
It did take a few generations to get to where we are today.

Old 09-24-2022, 06:09 PM

3 posts, read 1,172 times
I disagree.

I'd argue it has given them access to more resources.

You got kids that can learn how to program and learn 3D animation and video editing.

Old 09-24-2022, 06:14 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,953,608 times
thats the net affect of almost all technology. It is created to make our lives easier and gets very good at it and we forget how to do the things we once knew how to do. Just think back to the skills the common man had one hundred years ago, two hundred, three hundred. Most of us cant even do the most basic of them. The knowledge of how to do so became irrelevant with new technology.

Ask generations of the past about how Dumb they think all of us are, my god I couldn't even hunt, kill and process my own food or shoe a horse. Heck most probably couldn't even figure out how to ride one.

Old 09-24-2022, 06:14 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
I still do basic math on a scratch pad while I'm working. Out and about, of course we use the tools available.

IMO, the damage smartphones are specifically doing (outside of privacy issues, which is its own monster) has something to do with attention spans and instant gratification. The shrinks of the world would probably be able to apply some labels to it but despite having the ability to do in depth research on anything, anytime, anywhere, people are growing more and more resistant to information. It's like there's in inverse correlation between having more information available and actually using the available information. We used to spend a half hour going through card catalogs and library shelves and then actually reading something in a book in order to find a single answer to a simple question. Now, people refuse to read past headlines. Yeah, that's a product of people being dumbed down, but it's not smartphones which did that. That happened in the educational institutions and in the homes. The people responsible for ensuring our children were learning what they're supposed to and behaving in a socially acceptable way abandoned their responsibilities as those kids were growing up and now we have generations of adult children who don't know jack and refuse to actually learn. Instant gratification or tantrums ensue. Adult tantrums can be dangerous, as we've seen in recent years.

Old 09-24-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
thats the net affect of almost all technology. It is created to make our lives easier and gets very good at it and we forget how to do the things we once knew how to do. Just think back to the skills the common man had one hundred years ago, two hundred, three hundred. Most of us cant even do the most basic of them. The knowledge of how to do so became irrelevant with new technology.
It can be a tool or a crutch

Old 09-24-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I still do basic math on a scratch pad while I'm working. Out and about, of course we use the tools available.

IMO, the damage smartphones are specifically doing (outside of privacy issues, which is its own monster) has something to do with attention spans and instant gratification. The shrinks of the world would probably be able to apply some labels to it but despite having the ability to do in depth research on anything, anytime, anywhere, people are growing more and more resistant to information. It's like there's in inverse correlation between having more information available and actually using the available information. We used to spend a half hour going through card catalogs and library shelves and then actually reading something in a book in order to find a single answer to a simple question. Now, people refuse to read past headlines. Yeah, that's a product of people being dumbed down, but it's not smartphones which did that. That happened in the educational institutions and in the homes. The people responsible for ensuring our children were learning what they're supposed to and behaving in a socially acceptable way abandoned their responsibilities as those kids were growing up and now we have generations of adult children who don't know jack and refuse to actually learn. Instant gratification or tantrums ensue. Adult tantrums can be dangerous, as we've seen in recent years.
Very few people see the internet as access to the biggest library you could ever imagine.

Old 09-24-2022, 06:26 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,396,089 times
I don't have a smart phone. do i miss having one.... no. i don't miss being tethered to a phone because i have to answer a phone call or text immediately when summoned, dependent on it for my schedule, etc. i'm grateful to not have a smart phone impinge on my life anymore. it is annoying that no one believes me when i say i don't even have a cell phone.

i'm considered a dinosaur by many, but i don't think so. i'm a rebel.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-24-2022 at 06:53 PM..

Old 09-24-2022, 06:31 PM

462 posts, read 286,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It can be a tool or a crutch
That's the way I look at it. I am 70, so can live with or without my phone. I much prefer to have it. It gives me almost instant access to so much information. I love the GPS and that sort of thing. I use it mostly for that rather than staying in contact with others. I rarely get a call. Who wants to talk to this old fart?

Old 09-24-2022, 06:32 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
People turn to these devices for all kinds of unneeded updates including performing simple math problems so they don't have to think.

https://brucewilds.blogspot.com/2022...bing-down.html
I don't think some people, especially older ones appreciate how the skills have transitioned to work with existing technology.

For example, some old-timer (not that I'm a spring chicken) might be shocked that I can't figure out a complex calculus problem with paper and pencil.

Well, I can get to the same solution using software in about 1 minute while they'd be flumoxxed by the software.

So, the next time some old person feels all "this generation is stupid" because they don't do things the way that they do...maybe consider that you're still digging with a shovel while they're using a backhoe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies