Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 12:56 PM

43,146 posts, read 18,306,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I have actually hated Smartphones since the time I heard of them, and my hatred for them has only increased with time.

I see too many people substituting texting for talking (in person or by the phone), the writing skills of young people have decreased (from what I have seen), and too many people are now expecting everyone to have a Smartphone, plus I personally hate them because I have very fat sausage fingers and cannot type on the damn things. I also resent the fact that many grocery stores now only offer discounts to those with their apps on their phones, which I think is a form of discrimination -- and especially to old people who are less likely to have any kind of Smartphone (based on what I have read, anyway).

And like most electronics these days, they are terribly expensive and I think that they are 'outdated' in a matter of months. I refuse to have one and will continue to refuse to get one unless I am forced to do so.
Pew Research....over 70% of seniors have embraced smartphones.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:56 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
ROFL....I have said as much to my sister who loves her gadgets.

"You have to clean 9 appliances while I only have to clean a peeler and a knife".

I bought a chopping gadget, and it had like 4 separate pieces you had to remove and clean individually, otherwise the food would stay in there and mold. Big pain in the keester which is why I never use it. "My way" involves just a knife and a small piece of maple I cut out of a log with a chainsaw and sanded flat several years ago. When the surface is all used up, I just sand it again, apply food safe oil if desired, and it's as good as new.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:58 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
New technologies always have positive impacts on society?

The invention of the cotton gin is thought to have upheld and expanded the use of slavery, in the south. I do not see that as a positive impact...
Good and bad.....some of them slave owners would have told you the good.

Doesn't mean I advocate for all new technologies or innovations...but there is always good and bad.

Old 09-25-2022, 06:43 PM

78,450 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
New technologies always have positive impacts on society?

The invention of the cotton gin is thought to have upheld and expanded the use of slavery, in the south. I do not see that as a positive impact...
You raise an excellent point there. Any new technology can be misused or further an existing problem (like slavery) so the question then is what is the time frame?

Eventually we have moved past legal slavery and the advances of mechanization has freed many from huge amounts of toil and back breaking labor.

So for the here and now it may be bad, but if we were to step back and look at 10k+ years of human history I'd say it was a big positive.

Old 09-25-2022, 06:46 PM

78,450 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Good and bad.....some of them slave owners would have told you the good.

Doesn't mean I advocate for all new technologies or innovations...but there is always good and bad.
Another very good point. There can be some that have both positive and negative effects that are persistent and will always be part and parcel of a new technology.

Old 09-25-2022, 07:35 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,403,374 times
I haven't read the entire thread but has anybody brought up the irony of people complaining about phones and social media, on a social media site? Forums are just a more primitive avenue that seriously limits multi-media interactions.

Old 09-25-2022, 07:55 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Try telling other people that... Everyone gets mad when someone does not immediately answer the phone or respond to a text message.
You let them set their expectations too high.

The advice I gave is practically ancient. It came around after cellphones first became common, long before smartphones.

It's there for YOUR convenience, and nobody else's. You're not paying a bunch of money every month to be at everyone's beck and call - you're paying it to have the ability to use the device when YOU want/need to.

None of my friends or family assume I'll answer the phone or see a text right away. I do check who's calling, but don't always answer, even if it's someone I know. I'm reachable in an emergency through other means, so immediate attention isn't necessary every time my phone makes a sound.

And that's how it should be.

Old 09-25-2022, 07:59 PM

19,818 posts, read 9,381,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Pew Research....over 70% of seniors have embraced smartphones.
I said LESS likely. My guess -- and this is ONLY a guess -- that probably at least 90% of those between the ages of about 16 and 60 either have smartphones or want them. (I would look it up, but I don't care enough to do so.)

Old 09-25-2022, 08:44 PM

16,614 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
People turn to these devices for all kinds of unneeded updates including performing simple math problems so they don't have to think.

https://brucewilds.blogspot.com/2022...bing-down.html
I have not read other posts, nor can give an educated view of how our society/culture has devolved into where we are today.
That said, having nothing to do with my baseline intelligence, a orthopedists who was evaluating my discomfort in a particular limb said, and I quote, "we are now all suffering with tech neck".

Admittedly I do spend a disproportionate number of hours on the computer, but rest assured my time looking down at the phone equates to maybe 10 minutes per day.
Does that equal out to the average person spending endless amount of hours to bending their necks into unhealthy bending of their spines, causing medical maladies?

Who knows

If this is a phenomenon, which I agree with (despite my limited use of social media), as I suspect he is correct, we had better find a solution to the problem, before we start devolving, compared to our ancestors.

Old 09-25-2022, 08:49 PM

20,064 posts, read 20,877,739 times
The internet is one of the signs of the apocalypse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies