Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 06:03 AM

24,647 posts, read 9,472,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The U.S. Army has released guidance for soldiers as they fight inflation, including a suggestion that they take advantage of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), commonly known as food stamps.

SNAP, a benefit for low-income Americans, is a program for which "service members and their families may be eligible," the guidance said, pointing soldiers and their families to the SNAP website and phone number. SNAP is one of several options discussed as part of the Army's Financial Readiness Program.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/army-sugg...ling-inflation

Wow, and we wonder why the military is having recruiting problems? This is just sad, we send more to Ukraine than we'll give to our own troops.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:06 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Wow, and we wonder why the military is having recruiting problems? This is just sad, we send more to Ukraine than we'll give to our own troops.
So shameful

Old 09-21-2022, 06:08 AM

10,108 posts, read 7,778,315 times
Here goes at warped speed, everyone ask the government for aid for problems the government creates. Gov wants to own us and supply us with things we need..gov dependence.

This is happening so fast. Republicans NEED to win house and Senate in Nov. It's imperative.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:16 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,153,697 times
This is not a new problem. Years ago, I knew a young military family that used WIC to ensure they had enough to eat.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:17 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Nothing new, the lower ranks have qualified for Food Stamps for decades the difference now is they tell you about your eligibility. Service members choose to marry young or find themselves with dependents early on even though they don't have the best income to support them but that is their choice. It was that way in the 70's when I went in and throughout my career and it seems that it hasn't change in the decades since.

The starting pay in the military even with the extras you get for dependents has never been a real living wage which is why most wait till their older and making more money.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:36 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times
It used to be that soldiers and their families could shop at the base commissary where prices for food and commodities could be obtained at a great discount. This practice made a huge difference for military families, including my own. But that was a long time ago. These days wholesale prices at the commissary are a thing of the past and it can cost more to shop on base then it does off base "on the economy."

The Army used to take care of its own. But these days, not so much. We ask so much of our troops and it seems to me that the more we demand of them, the less we give back to them.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:41 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
This is not a new problem. Years ago, I knew a young military family that used WIC to ensure they had enough to eat.

of course they did.

Because the service has a pay scale, and they all know what they're earning. That payscale is largely independent of dependents, yes?

Does the military provide 3 meals a day to service members?

Old 09-21-2022, 08:46 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Nothing new, the lower ranks have qualified for Food Stamps for decades the difference now is they tell you about your eligibility. Service members choose to marry young or find themselves with dependents early on even though they don't have the best income to support them but that is their choice. It was that way in the 70's when I went in and throughout my career and it seems that it hasn't change in the decades since.

The starting pay in the military even with the extras you get for dependents has never been a real living wage which is why most wait till their older and making more money.
exactly.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:48 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

It is all part of a larger plan to demoralize the military. They started by purging the alpha males and/or anyone moderate to conservative, and the leadership that opposed women in combat, affirmative action to make sergeants into colonels, etc.
All with the intention of creating a dependent and compliant force that can be used against fellow Americans (if needed), in the leftist grand scheme.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:52 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
Should have joined the Air Force instead. Local AF housing allowance is up to about $2K a month on top of paycheck for a lowly E-1. Split a two bedroom rental (about $2200-$2400) with a pal and you’ve got a decent fun budget after basic expenses are paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies