Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 05:12 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

There should be no tents on sidewalks, there's no excuse for it. There are places tents can go to be off sidewalks, and away from businesses and storefronts and residences, so laws should be enforced to prevent tents from getting in the way of everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 05:15 PM

6,389 posts, read 2,712,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The homeless do not belong camping on the streets. It makes the streets unusable for everyone else. If you want a campground, pay for a campground, just like everyone else.

I realize a lot of these people are mentally ill and it was Reagan who closed the mental hospitals but no one ever did anything to replace them. But that doesn't mean they should be blocking the streets for everyone else. Liberals would like these places cleaned up too and some sensible solution needs to be found. These people need help, not to be left lying in the streets.

Reagan hasn't been President since 1989. Are you saying that these people have been on the streets and blocking sidewalks for over 30 years?

The cause would seem to be a bit more of a recent problem than Reagan.

Old 09-21-2022, 05:18 PM

6,029 posts, read 2,849,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
The beginnings of the homeless problem was in the 80’s when Reagan closed the mental institutions. I was a social worker and remember it well. Community based programs were supposed to be the replacement but it really didn’t happen with very little funding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I realize a lot of these people are mentally ill and it was Reagan who closed the mental hospitals but no one ever did anything to replace them. But that doesn't mean they should be blocking the streets for everyone else. Liberals would like these places cleaned up too and some sensible solution needs to be found. These people need help, not to be left lying in the streets.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistoria...stration_shut/

According to an answer found in the 'AskHistorians' section on Reddit, the origins of closing mental hospitals begins with President Kennedy, when he signed the 'Community Mental Health Act of 1963'. The historian says "it is more complicated than that", to say that President Reagan is solely responsible for the closure of mental hospitals. You can read the thorough explanation, provided in the link, rather than me reposting what was stated.

It should be noted that the 'Mental Health Act of 1980', signed into law by President Carter, was repealed by the Democratic Congress, before President Reagan signed the repeal, in 1981.

Old 09-21-2022, 05:22 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Well we all know who would win in the Democrats hierarchy of WOKE... Those folks with the disabilities better hope none of those sidewalk dwellers are Illegal Aliens because they gonna be out of luck....

This lawsuit that is bringing national attention to the ugly fact of the mounting homeless and drug addled that are taking over so many cities is similar to Desantis and his brilliance in dropping off the Illegal Aliens on the Vineyard. Both cases are highlighting the Democrats utter failures.
What do you think of the idea of opening homes for the mentally I'll to get them off the street? In other words, reverse what Reagan did that started this whole problem?

What do you think of the idea to create homes for the addicts where they could get treatment and help getting a job?

What other ideas do you have for clearing the homeless from city streets?

Old 09-21-2022, 05:29 PM

6,029 posts, read 2,849,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
What do you think of the idea of opening homes for the mentally I'll to get them off the street? In other words, reverse what Reagan did that started this whole problem?

What do you think of the idea to create homes for the addicts where they could get treatment and help getting a job?

What other ideas do you have for clearing the homeless from city streets?
Actually, the problem can be traced to President Kennedy signing the 'Community Mental Health Act of 1963', which began the process of deinstitutionalization, that led to the closure of mental health hospitals, due to lack of patients, and, therefore, lack of funding.

Last edited by FordBronco1967; 09-21-2022 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-21-2022, 06:12 PM

7,124 posts, read 4,540,768 times
Ford, it looks like both parties are to blame. Ansible, those are very good ideas.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:14 PM

25,749 posts, read 18,818,821 times
I hope they take the city to the cleaners (so to speak).

Old 09-21-2022, 06:14 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Portland residents with disabilities sue city over homeless tents blocking sidewalks
-Lawsuit claims Portland violated Americans with Disabilities Act
Stephen Sorace | Fox News

https://www.foxnews.com/us/portland-...king-sidewalks

Common sense tells you that "sidewalks" are meant for walking, not tents and campers, otherwise we would have named them "side camps" or "side drug dens".

But when you're WOKE, publicly financed/maintained sidewalks are all inclusive, equitable zones for home challenged individuals aka drug addicts.
Outstanding! If the city refuses to address the issue, force the feds to deal with it as an ADA issue.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:01 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
It’s pretty clear that people with disabilities have a right to be able to use the sidewalks. The ADA guarantees certain rights to people with disabilities. I spent much of my career first as a social worker and then I obtained a second master’s degree specifically in regards to disabilities so have worked with both groups. It’s unsafe if for example someone using a wheelchair has to go onto the street because a sidewalk is blocked.

San Francisco used to be a nice city 25 years ago. I was there 4 years ago and it was really disgusting. It smelled like pee and there’s garbage everywhere. Someone in my family saw someone shooting up by their hotel. Reagan made a big mistake emptying out the mental institutions without a plan in place. It’s complicated as many are severely mentally ill but some just don’t want to work. Also skyrocketing rents on the west coast contributes to the problem as some homeless have jobs. Btw I am a moderate democrat so don’t start bagging on the democrats as the problem. Let’s have a intelligent conversation about the issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Let's see - you want an intelligent conversation that doesn't blame Democrats (even though they run everything in CA and OR) after you blame Reagan.

You say SF used to be a nice city 25 years ago. Reagan was already dead. So why are you blaming him?

I'm sorry - I just found that paragraph laughable.

If you want an intelligent conversation - then no one should be off limits. Look at the policies put forth by the leaders of the local and state governments. Look at the government money and how it's being spent - and the results that have followed.

Stop protecting Democrats - because they certainly aren't protecting their constituents.
Quote:
The beginnings of the homeless problem was in the 80’s when Reagan closed the mental institutions. I was a social worker and remember it well. Community based programs were supposed to be the replacement but it really didn’t happen with very little funding. It has slowly been on the rise ever since. San Francisco was a nicer city 25 years ago but still had it’s share of homeless and big city problems back then.

I believe one reason it’s gotten worse is because of skyrocketing housing and rents. Nevada has seen the same thing happen in the 25 years I have been here. People left California for Nevada because we were so much cheaper and this is no longer the case. Homelessness is a national problem and as a country we need to work together to solve it. Criminalizing it doesn’t work and neither does ignoring it. It’s nonproductive to blame either party instead of focusing on solving the problem by working together.
I'm trying here...

Your original comment was about pee and garbage and drugs - none of which Reagan had anything to do with because he has been dead for decades.

25 yrs ago, the homeless were there. There is always going to be homeless people to some extent. But according to you - it was still a decent city... no pee, no garbage, no open use of drugs.

You said it smells like pee. Here you go.

Nov 2019 - San Francisco: Public urination, prostitution will no longer be prosecuted

San Francisco literally has a “poop patrol” service that requires city workers to clean up the streets after people use them as their personal bathrooms.

And after their latest announcement, it appears as city leaders are only emboldening people to continue relieving themselves wherever they want.

“We will not prosecute cases involving quality-of-life crimes,” DA Chesa Boudin said. “Crimes such as public camping, offering or soliciting sex, public urination, blocking a sidewalk, etc., should not and will not be prosecuted. Many of these crimes are still being prosecuted; we have a long way to go to decriminalize poverty and homelessness.”

There's the policy. If it smells like pee, now you know why - and you know who.

He said he wants to decriminalize poverty and homelessness. They have never been crimes. Urinating in public was a crime - actually it probably still is a crime... he just stopped enforcing it.

Let me know if you want to keep going.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:54 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

You say SF used to be a nice city 25 years ago. Reagan was already dead. So why are you blaming him?

No he wasn't. He died in 2004, not 1997.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies