Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 10:21 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
No he wasn't. He died in 2004, not 1997.
You're right. I should have looked it up before.

He was diagnosed w/ Alzheimer’s in 1994. I remembered something with Reagan in the 90's.

Thanks for clearing that up.

So for Teacher Terry - I guess he is on the hook for San Francisco's homeless woes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 11:05 PM

7,134 posts, read 4,540,768 times
Rob, I only live 3 hours from there so I know what’s happening and it needs to change. When I talk about Reagan I was just explaining the origins but it appears from other posts that Kennedy and other democrats had a hand in it as well. Many of the mental institutions/hospitals were horrible places back then and needed changes but we went from one extreme to the next. Our homeless population is growing because of skyrocketing rents and some are seniors. We have a real winter and have had people freeze to death. One man lost both his legs.

I am a moderate and I never vote a straight ticket. I vote for whoever I believe will do the best job. I don’t believe San Francisco is handling this problem well. If all the homeless were the same it would be easier to fix. But it’s a big variety of people with different needs, etc and for people that just don’t want to work they will always be among us. However, we could help people with mental illness, seniors and people that want to work and are capable. As a nation we should work together to solve this problem regardless of parties.

Old 09-22-2022, 03:21 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Outstanding! If the city refuses to address the issue, force the feds to deal with it as an ADA issue.
It will be interesting to see what happens….if this eventually goes to SCOTUS, and if so….what happens. Oregon is a 9th Circuit state/would the results of the Martin v. Boise decision be modified..

Old 09-22-2022, 07:37 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Rob, I only live 3 hours from there so I know what’s happening and it needs to change. When I talk about Reagan I was just explaining the origins but it appears from other posts that Kennedy and other democrats had a hand in it as well. Many of the mental institutions/hospitals were horrible places back then and needed changes but we went from one extreme to the next. Our homeless population is growing because of skyrocketing rents and some are seniors. We have a real winter and have had people freeze to death. One man lost both his legs.

I am a moderate and I never vote a straight ticket. I vote for whoever I believe will do the best job. I don’t believe San Francisco is handling this problem well. If all the homeless were the same it would be easier to fix. But it’s a big variety of people with different needs, etc and for people that just don’t want to work they will always be among us. However, we could help people with mental illness, seniors and people that want to work and are capable. As a nation we should work together to solve this problem regardless of parties.
I just gave you the direct link to why SF smells like pee. The current DA is not enforcing the rule, and is allowing people (you don't have to be homeless) to urinate in public.

Why can't you acknowledge that?

Old 09-22-2022, 08:21 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
What do you think of the idea of opening homes for the mentally I'll to get them off the street? In other words, reverse what Reagan did that started this whole problem?

What do you think of the idea to create homes for the addicts where they could get treatment and help getting a job?

What other ideas do you have for clearing the homeless from city streets?

Well Reagan was doing what he thought was going to work in the 1980's so that doesn't really make sense for 2022. Plus there has always been bums, hobos and homeless and more are produced when the economy takes a dive and we can thank Biden for that.

YES start opening homes and treatment centers for the homeless and the addicts. Get them off the drugs, out of their depression and give them purpose again with education and job training. Help them dig out of the hopelessness they feel and let them feel that they matter to this world. AND for those that have no hope and will never rise out of the gutter let an Angel of Death walk along the encampment and drop packets of fentynal to give them the ultimate high, the ultimate escape they have been looking for. Yeah that is horrible but there are some people that just can't be helped.

HOW are we going to PAY for all of this you ask? ILLEGAL ALIENS cost us Billions of Dollars every year. We are going to close the Border and start deporting the Illegal Aliens that have gone on to break more of our laws and if their home country won't take them back then we stop the aid to that country.

I just don't understand why the Left cares more about Illegal Aliens than our own homeless citizens. The famous 50 that were dropped on Martha's Vineyard went on a shopping spree to the Mall yesterday. A bus brought them to the Mall where they used gifts cards, paid for by you and I, to purchase anything they wanted. I have been to that Mall recently and there were a couple of down on their luck men that were holding desperate signs and hoping for a handout. Why are the Illegals being given everything when these citizens are begging for spare change?

The homeless problem of today is the fault of the Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies