Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 01:57 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
It definitely doesn't bode well for retailers. Those energy bills will cut into holiday spending.

It doesn't bode well for anyone except our adversaries. Even our own energy companies will run into a brick wall when customers are tapped out and simply cannot afford to pay. Europe will meet that fate sooner than the USA, but the entire west is facing a dilemma that we cannot ignore. The ramifications of these energy concerns are so great that it threatens the very stability of the west, which is why we need "adults in the room" more than ever to solve this relatively serious problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 01:58 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,153,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It doesn't bode well for anyone. Even our own energy companies will run into a brick wall when customers are tapped out and simply cannot afford to pay. Europe will meet that fate sooner than the USA, but the entire west is facing a dilemma that, unlike most of the rest, we cannot ignore.
Are you worried about being able to pay your bills this winter, Andy? If so, what is your plan?

Old 09-24-2022, 02:02 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Are you worried about being able to pay your bills this winter, Andy? If so, what is your plan?

My bills are very low because I live in a relatively small home. I am not worried about my situation. I am more worried about people like my parents who are retired living on investments, in a very large home. They use a wood burning stove, so I don't really have to worry, but I know many people like them that do not have such an affordable means to heat their home. I also know the situation is far worse in Europe, and I think it's something we should be concerned about, because it can lead to instability, social unrest, etc. Once that spreads in the west, it will only lead to more problems in an increasingly chaotic and unpredictable world.

We are all facing the wrath of higher energy expenses. This is being done intentionally to cause hardship and break the will of the west in it's efforts to save Ukraine from Putin. It is something to be concerned about and take notice of, so we can plan accordingly. Many people have planned ahead by installing wood burning stoves and securing firewood for the winter. If we had a real leader in the white house, he/she would be advising Americans to make necessary changes in their lives if they have to in order to overcome this (hopefully) temporary hardship. But we are all on our own with dementia Joe. Useless...

Old 09-24-2022, 02:09 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,990,828 times
Everyone move to Texas. LOL

Old 09-24-2022, 02:16 PM

12,994 posts, read 9,521,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
The electric company I had when I was in NH had requested a 100% increase and got a 50% increase. That would have brought my winter bills up to around $300 per month in the winter. Still had to pay for propane for heating on top of that (no natural gas in my town anywhere). As much as I miss NH, I'm glad I'm not there right now. My most recent electric bill in SC (for August) was $126 with the A/C running mostly round the clock.
What kind of heat did you have in New Hampshire?

NH is a heckuva lot colder than north Alabama, and my winter heating bill runs about $300 in January (2 heat pumps, 2 story house about 3,000 sq ft, R-60 in the ceiling, 19 in the walls, and 25 in the crawl space, double-pane top end Andersen windows and storm doors on all the exterior doors). I keep my thermostats set at 72 downstairs, 68 upstairs at night. Electric rates here are about 12.5 cents/KWh for the first 1400, then 13.5 thereafter.

Old 09-24-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
My bills are very low because I live in a relatively small home. I am not worried about my situation. I am more worried about people like my parents who are retired living on investments, in a very large home. They use a wood burning stove, so I don't really have to worry, but I know many people like them that do not have such an affordable means to heat their home. I also know the situation is far worse in Europe, and I think it's something we should be concerned about, because it can lead to instability, social unrest, etc. Once that spreads in the west, it will only lead to more problems in an increasingly chaotic and unpredictable world.

We are all facing the wrath of higher energy expenses. This is being done intentionally to cause hardship and break the will of the west in it's efforts to save Ukraine from Putin. It is something to be concerned about and take notice of, so we can plan accordingly. Many people have planned ahead by installing wood burning stoves and securing firewood for the winter. If we had a real leader in the white house, he/she would be advising Americans to make necessary changes in their lives if they have to in order to overcome this (hopefully) temporary hardship. But we are all on our own with dementia Joe. Useless...
We had a fireplace insert wood stove in our previous house 30 years ago, but firewood is so expensive I don't think it'd be feasible now. Back then, it was about $120 for what they called a cord (but it wasn't - probably closer to a half cord) - no idea what it is now but it must be very expensive.

Old 09-24-2022, 02:23 PM

20,062 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Leftist scumbags. And they’ll still win in November. Because I guess everyone wants the country to go to complete garbage.

Old 09-24-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Glad I just got a new wood splitter a week ago and stocked up on a few cords for winter. I feel for the people suffering under the rate increases with electric heat. Especially those that live in states with insane leadership trying to replace natural gas heating systems with electric.
My electric rates just went up 23% but still affordable for most. I'm concerned most of all with those in New England who still use oil to heat with, and are in a miserably cold climate. Heating oil has gone out of sight. Natural gas isn't all that great either.

I have heat pumps with electric strip backup. A friend has heat pumps with natural gas backup, which was fine up until now. The electric approach may outpace gas this year.

Old 09-24-2022, 02:25 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
Meanwhile we are shipping coal to China so they can have cheap energy while we suffer: https://uscoalexports.org/2022/02/24...oared-in-2021/

Old 09-24-2022, 02:28 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,153,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
We had a fireplace insert wood stove in our previous house 30 years ago, but firewood is so expensive I don't think it'd be feasible now. Back then, it was about $120 for what they called a cord (but it wasn't - probably closer to a half cord) - no idea what it is now but it must be very expensive.
Where I live a cord of seasoned, split hardwood still costs about $120. Unfortunately, my fireplace is not designed for heating, so it would be a waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies