Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 03:48 PM

8,485 posts, read 4,727,776 times

Advertisements

Well, I just moved up to NY for family reasons. Politically it’s not pretty, but day to day life ain’t bad. I don’t and never wanted to live here. The city proper where I am in WNY is pretty awful, so much so that I have emotional trauma after just four months (been here six months, but it only took four), but there’s overlooked advantages here all the same. I can see why folks would want to move, and I mean that in a serious way, but it ain’t all bad.

Old 09-26-2022, 03:51 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,435,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
The voter registration numbers in Florida over the past two years paint a much different picture. You are in denial.
We'll see. The FL US Senate race is now a dead heat when Rubio should have been a lock.

If Demings beats him, she will likely bring the votes to defeat DeSantis as well.

Turnout, not registration is what matters now.

Old 09-26-2022, 03:57 PM

10,451 posts, read 4,032,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Link: https://justthenews.com/nation/state...censes-florida

More evidence that sane New Yorkers are fleeing the deep blue hellhole created by Democrats. Can't say I'm surprised - lots of NY and NJ plates on the highways here in South Florida.
Or they are being paid by the DNC to move to Florida in hopes to flip Florida blue.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Or they are being paid by the DNC to move to Florida in hopes to flip Florida blue.
I doubt that lol.

The DNC abandoned FL in 2020 because they determined they didn't need FL's electoral votes to win and FL is an expensive state to campaign in. Major population centers all over the state with lots of rural territory in between requires a large expensive ground game. Lots of broadcast areas costing more for commercials, etc.

They may very well lose FL elections they could have otherwise won simply because of that.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:27 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,374 times
Oh wow, they're late to the party. Members of the military have maintained FL drivers' licenses for decades. As I recall, it's six months domiciled, and you're good to go.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Oh wow, they're late to the party. Members of the military have maintained FL drivers' licenses for decades. As I recall, it's six months domiciled, and you're good to go.
I don't know about military, but private citizen can go to the court house and fill out a form declaring themselves a resident the day they cross the state line.

You better make sure you don't have a property tax homestead type exclusion that is more valuable than any bennies you gain in FL or don't have part year income for the state you left that raises suspicion. NY will track you down.

And, if you try to take a homestead property tax exemption in two states the penalty can be extreme in both states including being able to claim it in the future.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:43 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I don't know about military, but private citizen can go to the court house and fill out a form declaring themselves a resident the day they cross the state line.

You better make sure you don't have a property tax homestead type exclusion that is more valuable than any bennies you gain in FL or don't have part year income for the state you left that raises suspicion. NY will track you down.

And, if you try to take a homestead property tax exemption in two states the penalty can be extreme in both states including being able to claim it in the future.
I should have clarified. PO Boxes are not sufficient. You must have an actual physical address for at least six months. After that, all you have to do is maintain a PO Box. That's what I understand anyway. Things may have changed.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:50 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,792,298 times
Upstate NY has all but emptied out. Go to Rochester or Syracuse those cities are absolute ghost towns.

What’s sad is that the people who need to relocate to a place like Florida with tons of jobs and upward mobility are the working class but they can’t get out because it costs thousands of dollars and long term planning.

“Florida has received 321,881 out-of-state license trade requests in 2022” wow. Anyone who thought the Florida migration would slow was terribly wrong.

Old 09-26-2022, 06:02 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,166 times
It always appears upstate New York want to be their own country separate from NYC. And find that NYC is dragging them with them.

Interesting its about licenses. I be curious whether these are snowbirds doing so. As I hear a good thing about New York state licenses I heard they don't put into record any minor violations from a potentially tattletale neighboring state i.e New Jersey, except for Canadian provinces of Ontario and Montreal. Florida might not be as nice though some states would believe whatever another state says their residents misbehaved I heard. I heard Snowbirds usually get some flexibility on which states they put certain documents at.

Old 09-26-2022, 06:20 PM

2,273 posts, read 1,667,073 times
Unless laws have changed, it is quite common for snowbirds to stay in FL for just over 6 months to declare residency in their condos mainly for tax purposes. They go to FL in November and return north at the beginning of May. Many return for the holidays in between.

My brother’s street is half empty during the winter due to snowbirds heading south. Driveways are plowed, house heat is reduced and pipes are drained. This has been happening for decades. However, some return for good in later life for family and medical reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies