Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 09:44 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times

Advertisements

Trump was widely mocked for saying, in terms of the documents at Mar-a-Lago, that he could have declassified documents just by thinking, without going through the formal process of paperwork.

Someone made this cute point that should have been obvious, as a Letter to the Editor.

Trump’s ‘Magical Powers’ of Declassification
Donald Trump claims that as president he declassified hundreds of documents by thinking about it. Perhaps unbeknown to him, President Biden has reclassified all those documents the same way.
Michael Katten
El Cerrito, Calif.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/23/o...ification.html

Old 10-11-2022, 05:12 AM

18,563 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Trump was widely mocked for saying, in terms of the documents at Mar-a-Lago, that he could have declassified documents just by thinking, without going through the formal process of paperwork.

Someone made this cute point that should have been obvious, as a Letter to the Editor.

Donald Trump claims that as president he declassified hundreds of documents by thinking about it. Perhaps unbeknown to him, President Biden has reclassified all those documents the same way.
Michael Katten
El Cerrito, Calif.
First, the notion that de-classifying documents involves magical powers is silly. The President simply de-classifies anything he wants, any time he wants, any way he wants, whether by thought, word, or deed. Nothing magical about that.

Second, the classification scheme doesn't apply to anyone outside the executive branch, so"re-classification" would have no effect on Trump or his right to keep documents he had de-classified.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:24 AM

10,752 posts, read 4,342,219 times
Can you copy and paste the relevant parts of that article please?
The NYT won't let us read it without paying money.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:40 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
He did or he didn't.

My problem is if any government document is declassified it would be made available to all of us. How am I to know what's declassified so I can file a FOIA? Did TFG publish a list somewhere? Did he inform the agency that produced the document?

Even if they were declassified, he still stole them.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:12 AM

4,842 posts, read 3,270,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
He did or he didn't.

My problem is if any government document is declassified it would be made available to all of us. How am I to know what's declassified so I can file a FOIA? Did TFG publish a list somewhere? Did he inform the agency that produced the document?

And once they prove that in a court of law, I expect he'll go to jail. Of course, this is just another in a long list of ridiculous failed attempts to 'get him'.

If nothing else, the presidency of Dnald Trump has proven that the American people can't 'handle the truth' as it applies to the workings of government.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:18 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
All I know is if I mishandled classified documents during my time in the military I would be in prison. I highly doubt that any one person can declassify a Top Secret/SBI file that has been classified by multiple agencies, they may be allowed access but each agency has a say on why it was classified so high.

Old 10-11-2022, 08:02 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

Michael Katten
El Cerrito, Calif.
Biden could have done so in theory (but, let's be clear, Biden's brain is mush, so I doubt there was any thinking about this or anything else going on in there), but Biden would have had to known about the papers to do so. You can't wish something classified or declassified if you don't know about them. There's nothing "cute" about this point

Old 10-11-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
All I know is if I mishandled classified documents during my time in the military I would be in prison. I highly doubt that any one person can declassify a Top Secret/SBI file that has been classified by multiple agencies, they may be allowed access but each agency has a say on why it was classified so high.
The president can. The Supreme Court has ruled that the power over classification is one that belongs to the president, alone, due to his role as commander in chief. It's not something that Congress can limit or change. Rules concerning classification and declassification are found via Executive Order, issued by the president. From my view, it's nonsensical to claim that the rules issued by the president bind the president. If they did, every single day that classified information was at Mar-a-Lago while Trump was president would have been illegal as Mar-a-Lago isn't a SCIF. But not even the Biden administration is claiming that. The president needs access to classified information wherever he is as a part of doing his job. Nobody disputes that Trump took those papers with him to Mar-a-Lago while he was still president (remember, he didn't even attend Biden's inauguration). Only question is whether he declassified them before leaving office. I've explained in previous posts why things appear to be in his favor on this point.

Old 10-11-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
He did or he didn't.

No, any government declassified information is not inherently publicly available to "we" the people for FOIA purposes. This is so because "we" the people don't know about every piece of declassified information and there is no requirement for the government to place declassified information into some easily accessible database for public review.

And as presidents can and do store personal papers from their time in office, no, this wouldn't be stealing anything.

Old 10-11-2022, 08:26 AM

494 posts, read 179,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The president can. The Supreme Court has ruled that the power over classification is one that belongs to the president, alone, due to his role as commander in chief. It's not something that Congress can limit or change. Rules concerning classification and declassification are found via Executive Order, issued by the president. From my view, it's nonsensical to claim that the rules issued by the president bind the president. If they did, every single day that classified information was at Mar-a-Lago while Trump was president would have been illegal as Mar-a-Lago isn't a SCIF. But not even the Biden administration is claiming that. The president needs access to classified information wherever he is as a part of doing his job. Nobody disputes that Trump took those papers with him to Mar-a-Lago while he was still president (remember, he didn't even attend Biden's inauguration). Only question is whether he declassified them before leaving office. I've explained in previous posts why things appear to be in his favor on this point.
First the Biden administration is not claiming anything one way or another. The DOJ and the FBI are handling the case. Yes, the rules issued by the President most certainly do apply to the President unless you are saying they are above the law. Please cite a link or article where it says Trump had these papers at MAL from when he was president and just did not return them. Everything I have read states that they were moved there after he left office, not during. Lastly, whether they were classified or not has no bearing on the case since the charges being investigated do not relate to classified information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies