Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 09:17 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
During my career I was involved in disaster recovery efforts in several places around the globe. My work was in rebuilding and restoring drinking water systems damaged by natural disasters. There is remarkable consistency in how people respond. It ALWAYS follows the pattern of first people are thanking their God they are still alive, politicians back-slapping each other about their excellent response (the "good job, Brownie phase). We see communities of disparate people rich, poor, of all colors and creeds coming together to help (the Cajun navy). Then it starts to go south. ALWAYS. Recovery is painful, slow, and an immense psychological burden that catches up, surpasses and then replaces the good feelings with frustration. That turns to anger that gets directed against the politicians, and even the people who are doing the hard, slow, and tedious work of rebuilding all the infrastructure we need to make our lives what they are. I've been in situations that erupted into riots and attempts to murder the local officials. I've seen groups go after electrical workers and pipe crews they thought were too slow and lazy in their work. The longer recovery takes the more vocal and violent people get.

Yes, you are correct that neither DeSantis or Biden nor anyone else could not have prevented what happened. But, that is of little comfort to millions who will be subjected to prolonged disruptions of their lives. And they will take it out on the politicians. It is, sadly, just human nature. The politicians who survive are the ones who do the best job of shifting the blame and pointing fingers. I am willing to bet DeSantis survives.
tell us which American locations you're referring to.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:20 AM

13,264 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Pontification sure can be easy at times. Or maybe a person in charge knows when to ask for help?

https://www.wral.com/matt-flegenheim...shed/20498521/

Now, he is seeking federal assistance. Plus he has gone from referring to Biden as Brandon to addressing his help request "Dear M. President".

I understand campaign rhetoric as much as anyone else, but DeSantis, the low tax advocate, sure knows how to seek the benefit of the tax revenue he opposed being collected.
DeSantis can't spin this while his state is in shambles. This hurricane couldn't have worked out better for democrats Biden will send FIMA in and show up down there look good.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:21 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,712,718 times
Quote:
Pontification sure can be easy at times. Or maybe a person in charge knows when to ask for help?

Now, he is seeking federal assistance. Plus he has gone from referring to Biden as Brandon to addressing his help request "Dear M. President".

I understand campaign rhetoric as much as anyone else, but DeSantis, the low tax advocate, sure knows how to seek the benefit of the tax revenue he opposed being collected.
And of course, the devil is in the details...

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/n...e/15825475007/

Quote:
"The problem with the Sandy package was, if you look at it, only 30 percent of it was going to be spent in the first two years," DeSantis said in an interview
He also wasn't the only one who voted against the bill in the House.

Quote:
The bill passed the House on a 354-67 vote. It later passed the Senate unanimously by voice vote.
But of course, almost a decade later the "details" seem to get lost. This happens all the time in politics. There will be stuff put in a bill to pay to assist in Senior Housing and give free treatments to any cancer patient, but tied into it would be a bill to give illegal aliens additional money and services. Anyone who votes against it will be criticized for "throwing Grandma out on the street" and that they want to kill cancer patients, even though they voted against it for the additional support to illegals.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:22 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:

If you don't understand the difference between Sandy in NY and Ian in Florida, then you're just trying to play political "gotcha".

Old 09-30-2022, 09:27 AM

8,770 posts, read 5,059,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
DeSantis can't spin this while his state is in shambles. This hurricane couldn't have worked out better for democrats Biden will send FIMA in and show up down there look good.
Any president would send in FIMA This whole country is in shambles thansks to biden and harris....and her friends in North Korea.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:33 AM

13,264 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Any president would send in FIMA This whole country is in shambles thansks to biden and harris....and her friends in North Korea.
You must have forgotten about Hurricane Katrina when George Bush was waiting on the Louisiana to ask for help while news media showed people in a football stadium in New Orleans.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:33 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,729,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Desantis is a smug jerk and I'm sure will blame Biden and FEMA if gets blamed for anything.
Hopefully the people of Florida will receive everything they need as soon as possible...that's only going to happen if the State and Federal agencies cooperate...which they will. This was a horrific storm so I imagine the truce between DeSantis and Biden will be in place during the critical stages. If either Biden or DeSantis try to politicize this too early...they they will get hurt. Anytime you are dealing with aide, assistance and relief you are on Dem turf...it's just the nature of our politics. Whether you like him or not DeSantis doesn't strike me as somebody who's dumb...so I imagine he understands the political landscape he is in. Now he is vulnerable from both Trump and Crist who will be throwing mud at him as soon as they can. In my mind the worst thing that can happen to him is that he becomes defensive and comes across as a petulant crybaby...if that happens he will lose independents. If he can navigate his way through the various stages of the recovery standing like an adult...he will come out ahead. Just my two cents.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Wral is a left-wing megaphone. But from your link:
QUOTE:
In a local interview that year, DeSantis said the bill contained “extraneous stuff” that could not be classified as emergency spending. “I never made the point of saying we shouldn’t do anything,” he said, adding that he could have supported a leaner package focused on immediate relief. Asked then if he would vote against a relief package that affected his own district, DeSantis was noncommittal, suggesting he would support a responsible plan.

So what else was in the bill. Details matter.

He is handling this major disaster confidently, calmly and his leadership skills are not only helping Floridians but are also showing Americans why he should be the next presidential candidate.
WRAL simply re-posted a NYT opinion piece from a decade-long "metro reporter" for the NYT...meaning his general specialty is NYC goings-on. In his bio/index of articles, he wrote a lengthy piece about DeSantis 2 weeks ago, so I'm sure the NYT went to him since had just done background work on him.

folks might read the wiki entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurric...dy_relief_bill or even the text of the bill https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr41

It wound up being $10B after the previous Congress expired having gotten halfway on a $60B tab just a week earlier.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:36 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:

If he stuck to his previous stance that bailing out a state from hurricane damage was wrong, How loud would the leftist fanatics be screaming right now, about how "heartless" he was, and that he "doesn't care about the suffering Floridians in his state" ... whether it's true or not?

Old 09-30-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I wasn't aware FEMA was considered a partisan organization.

But as I've said, there's no doubt hyper-partisan people will look for their party advantage in the tragedy of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies