Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 07:06 AM

18,449 posts, read 8,282,661 times

Advertisements

....what a horrible thing to happen

"ABC 7 reports that the driver of a Tesla was killed early on Saturday when his car burst into flames following a collision with a tree along the I-75, according to Florida Highway Patrol. Investigators stated that a man was driving a Tesla southbound when he lost control of his car."

"The car veered onto the highway shoulder and into a ditch where it hit a tree and caught fire. The driver was unable to exit the vehicle and was pronounced dead at the scene. The man has yet to be identified."

Old 10-02-2022, 07:08 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
yikes. lithium battery fires are frankly terrifying. we'll be seeing an increasing number of them, no doubt.

Old 10-02-2022, 07:28 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
OK. But as someone who loves his car that gets 11mpg, and has no plans to go electric any time in the near future, how often does this happen vs how often do gas powered cars burst into flames in collisions?

I'm not making a statement here, it is a "good faith" question, because I really don't know the answer.

Old 10-02-2022, 07:34 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
OK. But as someone who loves his car that gets 11mpg, and has no plans to go electric any time in the near future, how often does this happen vs how often do gas powered cars burst into flames in collisions?

I'm not making a statement here, it is a "good faith" question, because I really don't know the answer.
You kinda expect the possibility of a fire with a Dino fueled car.
But they are also subject to electrical fires.
As much as I detest EV’s, I don’t think a Tesla burning up due to an impact is that big of a deal.
I know other anti EV’ers will try to use the I told you so’s and such, but I don’t see this as anything of greater concern. Anything with wires and fuel are subject to fires.

Old 10-02-2022, 07:40 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
You kinda expect the possibility of a fire with a Dino fueled car.
But they are also subject to electrical fires.
As much as I detest EV’s, I don’t think a Tesla burning up due to an impact is that big of a deal.
I know other anti EV’ers will try to use the I told you so’s and such, but I don’t see this as anything of greater concern. Anything with wires and fuel are subject to fires.
Thank you.

I am not anti-EV.

I am anti-forced EV. If EVs win out in a free market, then that is the way it was meant to be. If they don't, then, the same. And maybe we will be there one day. I just don't want the government telling me what I can and cant drive.

Old 10-02-2022, 07:48 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:
Thank you.

I am not anti-EV.

I am anti-forced EV. If EVs win out in a free market, then that is the way it was meant to be. If they don't, then, the same. And maybe we will be there one day. I just don't want the government telling me what I can and cant drive.
I don’t necessarily have a problem with EV’s themselves.
My problem is the government dictating more draconian nonsense.
So in that respect, I am anti EV.

Old 10-02-2022, 08:08 AM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:

Here is what the numbers say, then I'll pick these numbers apart as to why I would take them with a grain of salt.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...al-statistics/

Quote:
AutoInsuranceEZ studied the frequency of fires—from all causes, including collisions—in automobiles in 2021. It found that hybrid vehicles, which have an internal combustion engine and an electric motor, had the most fires per 100,000 vehicles (3475), while vehicles with just an internal combustion engine placed second (1530 per 100,000). Fully electric vehicles had the fewest: 25 per 100,000. These findings were based on data from the National Transportation Safety Board and the Bureau of Transportation Statistics.
So:

1) Source is reputable, references govt. data.

2) Does not take into account other factors beside type of car.

3) Older and smaller vehicles, as well as ones being driven at high rates of speed would be more likely to end up more likely to sustain enough damage in an accident to cause a car fire.

Pretty sure if we had an all Escalade vs Prius demolition derby I can guess which ones will be burning more by the end of the day.

High rates of speed are more common in rural areas with younger drivers and that means mostly gas powered and accidents with potential to rip a car into pieces as opposed to fender benders at piggly wiggly.

Without a solid statistical study adjusting for who, where, how fast, how old etc. all I can do is *shrug*, clearly the anti-EV crowd is just tossing poop so to speak.

Old 10-02-2022, 08:11 AM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yikes. lithium battery fires are frankly terrifying. we'll be seeing an increasing number of them, no doubt.
That's what my great grandpappy Jebediah Mathguy said back in 1902....I ain't never seen a horse crash and burst into flames.

Old 10-02-2022, 08:16 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,712,718 times
Quote:

This is talking about total fires, not just collisions so FWIW.

https://www.renolon.com/electric-car-fire-statistics/

Per 100K vehicles
  • Hybrid 3475.5
  • Gas 1529.9
  • Electric 25.1

So percentage-wise Hybrids are actually the worse at about 3.4%, gas at 1.9%, and then Electric at 0.3.

Old 10-02-2022, 08:20 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's what my great grandpappy Jebediah Mathguy said back in 1902....I ain't never seen a horse crash and burst into flames.
He also said, "Why would I want to pay fifty times more for this automobile when I can just use my horse and buggy that does the same thing for me?"--and at the time, that was very true; autos were horribly inefficient and horribly unreliable. It took another twenty years from 1902 before autos were common and relatively reliable and cheap enough for the typical person to afford one. Electric cars are in the same boat right now--horribly expensive to where a typical person cannot afford one and has no legitimate reason to buy one over an IC powered car. Frankly, I wouldn't take one if you gave it to me right now. Give it some time and maybe they will be a viable option for non-millionaires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies