Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 05:55 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,011,664 times

Advertisements

It was a rather dickish statement by Mr. Abbott. He simply could have said "I don't have the authority", and let it be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 05:59 AM

3,281 posts, read 1,415,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
It depends on how you define freedom and how you define smaller government.
Well, seems to me that if folks like Abbott are going to say the government has no business mandating masks, vaccinations, then they have no business telling people they can’t smoke weed. I don’t think it is terribly complicated.

Old 10-08-2022, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
It's not a prececdent.

Trump did it.

Previous Presidents have done this
Yeah…there does seem to be a double standard here. When Biden does something people don’t like, he is trampling the rule of law. When Trump does the same thing (e.g. Roger Stone) he is merely exercising his Presidential authority.

Old 10-08-2022, 09:09 AM

6,028 posts, read 2,846,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
It's not a prececdent.

Trump did it.

Previous Presidents have done this
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Yeah…there does seem to be a double standard here. When Biden does something people don’t like, he is trampling the rule of law. When Trump does the same thing (e.g. Roger Stone) he is merely exercising his Presidential authority.
It appears as though I need to clarify my position.

President Trump did pardon people, just as every President before him has. President Trump did not pardon an entire class of criminals because he disagreed with what the current law states.

That is the difference.

Old 10-08-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
There are often threads that discuss things that happened in the past.

So are you saying that you've never defended Trump's parsons on City-Data ?
I do not believe I have ever defended President Trump pardoning anyone, and that would be because I am not against Presidents pardoning or granting clemencies to people, as it is a power given to them, in our Constitution.

What I do have a problem with is pardoning an entire class of criminals because the current President does not believe they are guilty of a crime, even though current law disagrees. Change the law, first, then pardon. Not the other way around. Otherwise, what is to stop him from pardoning everyone convicted of human trafficking, should he believe that is not a crime, even though current law disagrees?

Old 10-08-2022, 09:54 AM

99,574 posts, read 4,492,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I do not believe I have ever defended President Trump pardoning anyone, and that would be because I am not against Presidents pardoning or granting clemencies to people, as it is a power given to them, in our Constitution.

What I do have a problem with is pardoning an entire class of criminals because the current President does not believe they are guilty of a crime, even though current law disagrees. Change the law, first, then pardon. Not the other way around. Otherwise, what is to stop him from pardoning everyone convicted of human trafficking, should he believe that is not a crime, even though current law disagrees?

If Trump somehow is elected in 2024, he has stated he will issue pardons for everyone involved in the January 6 insurrection. So we may assume you would be opposed to that action?

Old 10-08-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
If Trump somehow is elected in 2024, he has stated he will issue pardons for everyone involved in the January 6 insurrection. So we may assume you would be opposed to that action?
Yes, I would. Presidential pardons and clemencies should be rare and sparingly used.

However, the precedent President Biden just set makes this okay. You cannot support President Biden's action and then not support President Trump doing the same.

Old 10-08-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Yes, I would. Presidential pardons and clemencies should be rare and sparingly used.

However, the precedent President Biden just set makes this okay. You cannot support President Biden's action and then not support President Trump doing the same.
So you would be ok with Trump doing it, because Biden did. Is that correct?

Old 10-08-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
So you would be ok with Trump doing it, because Biden did. Is that correct?
That is how the logic of this decision works. You must separate the issue of marijuana from this to fully understand the ramifications. If President Biden gets to pardon an entire class of criminals because he does not feel they have broken the law, then that same standard should apply to other presidents, which is why I wholly disagree with President Biden's action.

As I have stated numerous times, pardons should be rare and sparingly used. President Biden's action is inconceivable, to me, and sets a horrible precedent.

Old 10-08-2022, 11:33 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,051,044 times
After Prohibition, were all those arrested for bootlegging and those drinking alcohol pardoned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies