Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 12:45 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,868,644 times

Advertisements

I have been in Riverside County many times and it is an extremely pretentious county with huge homes and lots of millennials with huge families.

The Inland Empire, especially Riverside County is very, very, very pretentious to the extent that it is almost a comedy.

With the very, very materialistic mentality of Riverside, I am surprised the residents have so much debt.

I am surprised how Riverside County households have so much debt. A county full of brand-new top of the line luxurious SUV's where the only drive the best and make the typical car in wealthy coastal enclaves look humble in comparison.

A vast majority of Riverside County is McMansion central with huge homes that would even surprise a typical Texan.

San Benito County, CA which is McMansions full of millennials and large families has around 5 times the amount of debt per household compared to places like Charleston, Topeka and Sioux City.

Riverside County, CA debt to income ratio: 2.99

San Benito, CA debt to income ratio: 4.36

Sioux City, Iowa: debt to income ratio: 0.88

Charleston, WV: debt to income ratio: 0.84

Midland, TX debt to income ratio: 0.86

Topeka, KS debt to income ratio: 0.90

https://www.federalreserve.gov/relea...:all;year:2022

I always have found it interesting but Santa Clara County despite having extremely expensive real estate has always had one of the lowest household debt ratio's in the entire country. But then, the household incomes are so high in San Jose that it would make sense plus the automobiles in San Jose tend to be older compared only the best which is what the residents require in Riverside County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 02:57 PM

4,512 posts, read 1,867,464 times
OP, I agree with you on many things, but Riverside is a dump lol

Old 10-20-2022, 03:22 PM

73,050 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Southern California seems to have a "Keep Up With The Jones" kind of society.

Old 10-20-2022, 03:41 PM

6,389 posts, read 2,716,683 times
Never heard of Riverside being "Pretentious". There are some nice areas, just like every county, but there are also some areas that are very very depressed. I've actually found the people of Riverside very down to earth for the most part. Can't say that about many other areas I have been to.

For comparison Median Home Price in Riverside is 615K, well below the Median of California which is around 800K. And very much below Orange County which is over 1 Million.

I am trying to figure out why you are singling out Riverside and ignoring Santa Cruz which had identical numbers. And IMO is a lot pretentious than Riverside.

Old 10-21-2022, 03:26 AM

1,100 posts, read 432,748 times
Duh, it's California.

I lived in a tony part of Los Angeles for a couple of years. I always wondered with all the 150k+ cars driving around how many drivers of those were overextended. My guess was lots.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:59 AM

2,355 posts, read 1,154,034 times
If I were forced to live and work in Riverside County, I'd be spending tons of money. Probably most of it on vacation, like every weekend, just to get the hell out of that place.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:32 AM

5,986 posts, read 2,241,315 times
This is how many Americans live regardless of which state you're looking at and are stretching out payments to make it work. Credit is king and people live to use it, its the reason furniture stores offer 7 years no interest loans, car loans go into 8 years, every bank offers 10 different credit cards, and on and on. The American dream as it stands is a New Home, 2 new cars, new high-end fashion or clothing (brand over anything else), constant shopping, constant eating out, the list goes on and on. At least that is what I see in cities in Florida and Texas where I travel most.

We have heard a lot about the economic situation but what we have not heard is people cutting back on spending outside of housing perhaps. Given the current economic climate and the American people's inability to cut back consumption, we will see a credit crisis again in the US within a few years.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:27 AM

25,850 posts, read 16,547,069 times
Is your mortgage included in this debt? I mean it doesn’t seem unreasonable when you consider how expensive housing is there.

Old 10-21-2022, 08:46 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,748,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have been in Riverside County many times and it is an extremely pretentious county with huge homes and lots of millennials with huge families.

The Inland Empire, especially Riverside County is very, very, very pretentious to the extent that it is almost a comedy.

With the very, very materialistic mentality of Riverside, I am surprised the residents have so much debt.

I am surprised how Riverside County households have so much debt. A county full of brand-new top of the line luxurious SUV's where the only drive the best and make the typical car in wealthy coastal enclaves look humble in comparison.

A vast majority of Riverside County is McMansion central with huge homes that would even surprise a typical Texan.

San Benito County, CA which is McMansions full of millennials and large families has around 5 times the amount of debt per household compared to places like Charleston, Topeka and Sioux City.

Riverside County, CA debt to income ratio: 2.99

San Benito, CA debt to income ratio: 4.36

Sioux City, Iowa: debt to income ratio: 0.88

Charleston, WV: debt to income ratio: 0.84

Midland, TX debt to income ratio: 0.86

Topeka, KS debt to income ratio: 0.90

https://www.federalreserve.gov/relea...:all;year:2022

I always have found it interesting but Santa Clara County despite having extremely expensive real estate has always had one of the lowest household debt ratio's in the entire country. But then, the household incomes are so high in San Jose that it would make sense plus the automobiles in San Jose tend to be older compared only the best which is what the residents require in Riverside County.
I literally laughed out loud reading this post.

Has to be one of the most unfounded silly as hell posts I've seen in a while. Riverside is an armpit. The main reason so many people live in the Inland Empire is because they can't afford a home closer in. Why do so many people here in So Cal commute in closer to LA area for work? Sitting in traffic for hours, because Riverside is so awesome???

Jesus, give me a break.

Lifelong resident of So Cal here.

Old 10-21-2022, 08:48 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,955,928 times
not sure how that means anything anymore. Heck isn't there a wealth method based on borrowing as much debt as possible buying assets with that debt then using those assets as collateral to buy more assets and so on...... that whole system seems strange but it has worked for more then a few of the ultra wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies