Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 07:05 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,754,140 times

Advertisements

Teachers have been lowering students grades for years to get more money from federal programs for their school. I don't have a link, but my good friend who taught 25 years ago told me this was being done in her public school back then. Does this surprise or anger any parents who become aware of this?

Old 01-01-2023, 10:22 AM

43,177 posts, read 18,318,340 times
They haven't been lowering grades; they are actually eliminating them.

Old 01-01-2023, 10:27 AM

24,512 posts, read 17,260,237 times
It's a real shame that the standards are being lowered for our kids because as the world shrinks they will be competing in a Global market.

Who are they trying to help here? Is it the teachers that can't inspire the kids to rise to the challenges of learning or the kids that would rather play on their phones than apply themselves to learn something?

I saw this type of nonsense with my Niece when instead of getting a letter grade like an A<B<C<D<F her report card showed "Satisfactory" "Not Satisfactory" what does that even mean? Gone is the incentive for a child to raise her grade from a B- to a B+ or better. This was done so the kids that were getting "D's" wouldn't feel bad about another kid getting an "A".

Gone are the incentives to achieve but these days all you need to do is Try and that is good enough because Feelings trumps actual achievements.

Old 01-01-2023, 10:58 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,468,196 times
My son is a teacher. No grades of A,B etc. Nor is there the 4.0, or numeric.
Now it's a sliding scale where the word ' below average is not allowed'. Instead it's all about highlighting what they participated in, how they turned in the project, or if they show promise . The sliding scale format.
The downside is, when they reach teen high school, they will still think a pat on the head for just being alive in the class is enough. Little effort or challenge.
It's not that teachers are changing the score system. It's the parents whining and insisting that recess is far more important that chem projects and knowledge retention.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:39 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,149,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
My son is a teacher. No grades of A,B etc. Nor is there the 4.0, or numeric.
Now it's a sliding scale where the word ' below average is not allowed'. Instead it's all about highlighting what they participated in, how they turned in the project, or if they show promise . The sliding scale format.
The downside is, when they reach teen high school, they will still think a pat on the head for just being alive in the class is enough. Little effort or challenge.
It's not that teachers are changing the score system. It's the parents whining and insisting that recess is far more important that chem projects and knowledge retention.
So it all falls back on, "EVERYONE GETS A TROPHY". No true scoring, just show up, the lazy one gets to have the same points as the hard working one. Go figure.

Old 01-01-2023, 11:41 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,117,057 times
I am on a scholarship committee for a local business. Every year I go through several dozen (last year was around 50 IIRC) applications that have an essay component, a letter of recommendation, some questions they have to fill out, and class rank and that kind of thing. I’m baffled at how they are figuring GPA now. There was no weighting when I graduated 20+ years ago, now I regularly see over 4.0 and I have no idea how to compare this to what I’m used to from my own schooling. My AP and honors classes counted just the same as the regular ones.

The essays are usually decent with some where you can tell they had help with editing it at least and some are really stellar. The stellar ones normally already have full scholarships due to high GPA and test scores, the reverse is true for the ones at the lower end, but I also believe everyone deserves a chance to prove they have the drive to succeed in college or career, so I normally go with the two at the bottom end of the bell curve based on their essays showing motivation and determination. Anyway, the test scores are also different now. SAT used to be out of 1600. I can’t seem to get my bearings with the ways these things have been changed. Why did they change everything?

Old 01-01-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I am on a scholarship committee for a local business. Every year I go through several dozen (last year was around 50 IIRC) applications that have an essay component, a letter of recommendation, some questions they have to fill out, and class rank and that kind of thing. I’m baffled at how they are figuring GPA now. There was no weighting when I graduated 20+ years ago, now I regularly see over 4.0 and I have no idea how to compare this to what I’m used to from my own schooling. My AP and honors classes counted just the same as the regular ones.

The essays are usually decent with some where you can tell they had help with editing it at least and some are really stellar. The stellar ones normally already have full scholarships due to high GPA and test scores, the reverse is true for the ones at the lower end, but I also believe everyone deserves a chance to prove they have the drive to succeed in college or career, so I normally go with the two at the bottom end of the bell curve based on their essays showing motivation and determination. Anyway, the test scores are also different now. SAT used to be out of 1600. I can’t seem to get my bearings with the ways these things have been changed. Why did they change everything?
Take a look at PISA scores...the US sinks lower on the charts for reading/math every 4 years.

You have online tools that will correct all your grammar and even change sentences for you.
It's like spellcheck on steroids...they are essay writing tools.

Old 01-01-2023, 12:05 PM

8,778 posts, read 5,071,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
So it all falls back on, "EVERYONE GETS A TROPHY". No true scoring, just show up, the lazy one gets to have the same points as the hard working one. Go figure.
Really sad....colleges are becoming the same way.

Old 01-01-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Really sad....colleges are becoming the same way.
I'd wager it's because of the free money from nationalizing student loans...now everyone can go to college using government money.

Old 01-01-2023, 12:08 PM

73,058 posts, read 62,670,561 times
I'm going to be honest. I don't know if this is true or not. I wouldn't put it past schools to do that. However, the last time I was in a public school classroom, it was about 2004. I graduated high school in 2004. I don't have any children. For this reason, anything I find out about schools comes from what some parents might mention. Being a bachelor and not having anything to do with public schools for over 18 years, well, there's alot I'm not up to date. I know bad behavior continues to be a problem, as well as academic underachieving. And teachers, the combination of some doing their job, and others not doing their job. But I don't have boots on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies