Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 01:09 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times

Advertisements

The United States spends far, far, far more social programs per-capita than Europe and Canada.

No matter how much United States spends they will have a low-level of service due to corruption in Washington.

What I don't understand is when liberals want a European style health care system, they actually advocate for reductions of 30% to 70% if they want government/compulsory health care spending like Europe.

Liberals always talk about how they want a European and Canadian health care system but the USA would have to reduce government and compulsory health care costs down to 56% to be like Canada, reduce spending 73% to be like Spain and 85% to be like Greece.

https://data.oecd.org/healthres/health-spending.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 01:20 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,907 times
If dems want to put government healthcare or high speed rail or ANYTHING for that matter on the table, they need to implement it in a state like California or Taxachusetts first and show us what the outcomes are. Then we can talk about expanding it. That's what states are for.

The results that they've shown us so far: UHC didn't even make it to the ballot in California, California HSR costs 5x the average cost of HSR and is like 10 years behind schedule for Phase 1 which goes from nowhere to nowhere, and California has one of the highest taxes in the country.

It can't be done because the government is incompetent by definition.

They can't because they just want to take your money and **** it away.

Old 11-05-2022, 01:20 PM

3,113 posts, read 938,532 times
It’s mainly due to price of drugs, many unnecessary procedures (like cancer screenings or certain surgeries) and obesity.

I always wondered why Canadians are less obese. They have the same crappy food and car centric lifestyle. If anyone has a good hypothesis please share. I think the over prescription of SSRIs (which cause weight gain) maybe a factor in the USA.

Old 11-05-2022, 02:36 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
The United States spends far, far, far more social programs per-capita than Europe and Canada.

No matter how much United States spends they will have a low-level of service due to corruption in Washington.

What I don't understand is when liberals want a European style health care system, they actually advocate for reductions of 30% to 70% if they want government/compulsory health care spending like Europe.

Liberals always talk about how they want a European and Canadian health care system but the USA would have to reduce government and compulsory health care costs down to 56% to be like Canada, reduce spending 73% to be like Spain and 85% to be like Greece.

I think the Canadian and European health systems are better than ours, but I think the Democrats would invite all the sick people on the planet to come get free health care at our expense as well as millions of illegal migrants.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:09 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
What about waiting months for surgery?

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/cate...are-wait-times

Old 11-05-2022, 03:10 PM

8,132 posts, read 3,671,773 times
Quote:

You don't get it, HC is much cheaper in Europe, or Canada, or on Mars.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:14 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:

Because so many are poor.....

And they are that way because of lack of education. About 40% of Americans have college degrees.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:22 PM

5,981 posts, read 3,724,157 times
About the only thing I know about the Canadian healthcare system is that I've known perhaps a half-dozen people who said that they came to the US to get a certain healthcare procedure done. When asked why they didn't get it done in Canada, their response was that they didn't want to wait 2 or 3 years to get it done.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:23 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
If dems want to put government healthcare or high speed rail or ANYTHING for that matter on the table, they need to implement it in a state like California or Taxachusetts first and show us what the outcomes are. Then we can talk about expanding it. That's what states are for.

The results that they've shown us so far: UHC didn't even make it to the ballot in California, California HSR costs 5x the average cost of HSR and is like 10 years behind schedule for Phase 1 which goes from nowhere to nowhere, and California has one of the highest taxes in the country.

It can't be done because the government is incompetent by definition.

They can't because they just want to take your money and **** it away.
States cannot do UHC because they cannot create money as at the Federal level. Just caring for their seniors would bust any state's budget. As you might like, if we just put everyone 65 and older to sleep the country would save an s-load of money.

That is why we have Medicare, gov't managed HC that works!

Old 11-05-2022, 05:11 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
About the only thing I know about the Canadian healthcare system is that I've known perhaps a half-dozen people who said that they came to the US to get a certain healthcare procedure done. When asked why they didn't get it done in Canada, their response was that they didn't want to wait 2 or 3 years to get it done.
You're overlooking Tijuana as a medical tourism center. When I went to Angelese Hospital to see an Ortho, my Orthopedist told me a good percentage of their clients were Canadians, who came down for hip/knee replacements. Cash only, $12,000 each. Stem cell procedures are also offered.

There are Doctors in San Diego that have dual offices in both cities.

They just built a multi-story medical tourism hospital there, close to the Border.

Given a high percentage of our congressmen/senators receive campaign donations from Big Pharma, that's part of the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies