Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 03:26 PM

11,505 posts, read 6,008,999 times

Advertisements

And during an internal Q&A held between himself and Disney employees on November 28th, the CEO would confirm that diversity, inclusion, and LGBTQ content are here to stay.

“And to the extent that i can work to quiet things down, I’m going to do that,” added Iger.

“We’re certainly not going to lessen our core values in order to make everyone happy all the time,” he then assured his employees. “So, it’s complicated, and there’s a balance.”

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/...-we-just-cant/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2022, 03:29 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,233,865 times
So Disney is choosing to D.I.E.

Go for it - good riddance.

Old 12-04-2022, 03:31 PM

So, they have to close a ride with no racist features whatsoever, because it happens to have been inspired by an 80-year-old movie that was mainstream at the time.

Got it.

That is your New and Improved Disney.

Iconic Disney Ride Set to Close in Less Than 2 Months Due to Being 'Not Appropriate in Today's World'

The reason? Splash Mountain’s current theme draws inspiration from the 1946 Disney film “Song of the South,” which depicts life on a plantation after slavery’s abolition.

https://www.westernjournal.com/iconi...-todays-world/

Old 12-04-2022, 03:33 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,266,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
And during an internal Q&A held between himself and Disney employees on November 28th, the CEO would confirm that diversity, inclusion, and LGBTQ content are here to stay.

“And to the extent that i can work to quiet things down, I’m going to do that,” added Iger.

“We’re certainly not going to lessen our core values in order to make everyone happy all the time,” he then assured his employees. “So, it’s complicated, and there’s a balance.”
How is this "doubling down"?

Old 12-04-2022, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
So Disney is choosing to D.I.E.

Go for it - good riddance.

Disney is probably rolling the dice that America will be pushed so far to the Left so fast, that the short term pain will become long term gain. They probably have the size and history and investors to remain solvent during the transition. They can also count on the sub-set of rabid Disney investors still watching Mary Poppins and Old Yeller, with no clue what they are putting out today.

Old 12-04-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
How is this "doubling down"?
It was assumed the new CEO was going to rein in the "woke" so as to head off the backlash Disney has been receiving in recent years. When you say you are going to keep doing what people thought you were going to stop doing, it is called "doubling down". It doesn't literally mean they are doubling the movies that are woke or something.

"Double down" just means you push back and stand firm in the face of strong criticism or hostile actions.

Old 12-04-2022, 03:40 PM

7,369 posts, read 3,533,397 times
lgbT^ is certainly the future as most 12 year olds identify as some fringe group to be proud of. the problem for disney is will these 12 year olds be able to afford thousands of dollars for a disney vacation.

Old 12-04-2022, 03:41 PM

6,672 posts, read 2,977,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
So, they have to close a ride with no racist features whatsoever, because it happens to have been inspired by an 80 year old movie that was mainstream at the time.

Got it.

That is your New and Improved Disney.

Iconic Disney Ride Set to Close in Less Than 2 Months Due to Being 'Not Appropriate in Today's World'

The reason? Splash Mountain’s current theme draws inspiration from the 1946 Disney film “Song of the South,” which depicts life on a plantation after slavery’s abolition.

https://www.westernjournal.com/iconi...-todays-world/
I love Splash Mountain and glad I got to see it last summer once more before it gets redone.

That said, I am looking forward to a shiny new Princess and the Frog theme.
Song of the South 'is' dated, imho. Not even speaking on the 'plantation' aspect. It's just old old school, most kids never seen the cartoon. Just looking at Disney's properties, I'd say Princess/Frog is an obvious theme to replace Splash Mountain. Make it a Bayou and whatnot.

Old 12-04-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
lgbT^ is certainly the future as most 12 year olds identify as some fringe group to be proud of. the problem for disney is will these 12 year olds be able to afford thousands of dollars for a disney vacation.
Sad but quite possibly true.

Old 12-04-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I love Splash Mountain and glad I got to see it last summer once more before it gets redone.

That said, I am looking forward to a shiny new Princess and the Frog theme.
Song of the South 'is' dated, imho. Not even speaking on the 'plantation' aspect. It's just old old school, most kids never seen the cartoon. Just looking at Disney's properties, I'd say Princess/Frog is an obvious theme to replace Splash Mountain. Make it a Bayou and whatnot.
Or they could do a "Strange World" theme. See how that works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies