Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 08:00 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,437 times

Advertisements

Read and it weep boys and girls. Even though it is an opinion peace. Some of the data here is well sourced and proves part of the current divide here in the United States. I have to say taut not all educated people are bad, yes some may be bougoussie with imposing views but many do mean well. I also hold a 4 year degree, but I tend to hold olive branches with people lesser or even more than me. Academics and educated in America tend to be socially liberal and don't see things the way other Americans who are less educated.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022...ing-class.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 08:10 PM

1,975 posts, read 1,941,190 times
30% of Americans have a university degree. having a 4 year degree does not make one intelligent or smart. why Americans have a sick obsession with college?

How Our National Obsession with College Is Destroying Education

https://www.alternet.org/2016/03/how...ing-education/

Old 11-08-2022, 08:19 PM

10,867 posts, read 4,540,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Read and it weep boys and girls. Even though it is an opinion peace. Some of the data here is well sourced and proves part of the current divide here in the United States. I have to say taut not all educated people are bad, yes some may be bougoussie with imposing views but many do mean well. I also hold a 4 year degree, but I tend to hold olive branches with people lesser or even more than me. Academics and educated in America tend to be socially liberal and don't see things the way other Americans who are less educated.

But, its only because we call the growing enrollment in 'spells and hexes' degrees 'college educated'. as long as we equate 1 year certificate programs that take 4 years to get with disciplines, the waters remain muddy.

or mebbe it is normal for 'college educated' to violently believe men get pregnant and law enforcement is not needed....your call

Old 11-08-2022, 08:22 PM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times
A century ago a college degree ment more simply because the student/graduate had a lot more information that one had to pay for via college. In the day and age of the internet, numerous publications, books, magazines etc one has access to alot of information and opinion that was only available in college. 'educated' although important does not have the same status or impact it did a century ago.

But to play the game 'the educated or degreed' think more like an idealist or in the theoretical world while others are more realistic and practical. Both should but don't learn through out life. They don't become wise, they fail to use their experiences learning off their mistakes or successes just going through the motions.

Old 11-08-2022, 08:22 PM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
It all depends on what career one wants. There are many careers that require a college degree and a graduate degree.

Example: the sciences. biology, pharmacy, medicine, dentistry, research, you must have the education to enter those fields, and it's generally more than 4 years needed. My friend's daughter is going into genetic counseling. She graduated from university this past May and started her graduate studies this fall, which takes 24 months to complete. She'll be interning as part of her program. When done with her graduate degree, she'll be able to sit for the boards and, upon passing, be licensed.

Another example: becoming an attorney. College + 3 years of law school + taking the bar exams.

Old 11-08-2022, 08:42 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,437 times
Academia is nothing more than a secular church. If you can't critique the Bible and the priest, you sure can not critique a professor and books about white privilege. And btw. I say this a s a person of color.

What is the point of going to the university, but end up in 200k in debt in some cases with an average job. You protest ending white supremacy, but that same white supremacy is making you pay 200k in debt that the academic don't mind paying back to nelnet or Fannie Mae.

Old 11-08-2022, 10:03 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
One can be highly intelligent and still indoctrinated with the culture one grew up in. Without an objective experience of both (or up to infinite) points of view it's impossible to see from another perspective. You become a product of your environment, surroundings, friends, culture. It's a reason people travel. To gain infinite perspective.

Old 11-08-2022, 10:22 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post

I also have a degree (BS in Accounting) but I do not represent the supposed trend of college educated people voting left.

What I have noticed here in the New York area is that some of the most privileged Upper Middle Class suburban communities, for instance in parts of Westchester and Nassau Counties, are the ones that are voting Democrat.

It is not so much that their education makes them directly vote Democrat, it is that their education has given them the wealth to live sheltered lives where they have the luxury of worrying only about things like global warming and transvestite bathroom rights.

Their children go to top notch all White and Asian schools, crime is almost non-existent, and the only undocumented aliens ever seen are the landscapers and housecleaners. They simply live in a sheltered world and don't understand the problems that so many other Americans see.

Old 11-09-2022, 03:01 AM

7,369 posts, read 3,533,397 times
i remember when i was a freshman in college. one of the first classes i took was about multiculturalism and people’s identities me, never giving a $&@! about people’s feelings absolutely hated reading about the middle eastern lesbian with dwarfism and other fringe identities. but i quickly learned after seeing a professor get into an angry argument about school vouchers with a conservative student that i had to act far left of i wanted to pass my classes. so, i wrote all my papers with a left slant. some call it trolling, some call it sarcasm…but my gpa didn’t mind.

Old 11-09-2022, 03:27 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
I respect people with college degrees but they don’t mean what they used to. Some are legit while more and more are kind of a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies