Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2022, 08:26 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

I think that our current Administration would gladly see every American die from a long slow starvation rather than see another gallon of petroleum consumed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 08:45 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I think that our current Administration would gladly see every American die from a long slow starvation rather than see another gallon of petroleum consumed.
Man, must suck to be you at the pumps. Do I slow starve every American and sentence 300 million people to death or do I put a gallon of gas in my car. It's okay though, you needn't worry. I filled up and killed everyone ten times just yesterday.

Old 11-18-2022, 08:50 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,238,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
I call BS on yours - just because a few libs publicly support EVs means little. It does not change the reality that EVs are bought by both liberals and conservatives. Buy what you want to but don't disparage someone just because they drive an EV.
Use the search function and provide one example of my 4000+ posts where I disparaged anyone driving an EV. On the contrary, you will find my acknowledgment that EVs work well for some, not for others. Those "few libs that publicly support EVs" that I cited in my original response are driving public policy without any regard for that distinction.

Old 11-18-2022, 09:04 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Man, must suck to be you at the pumps.
I do not see why?

Most of my driving is EV [from my solar array]. I rarely buy gasoline.

Old 11-18-2022, 09:15 PM

11,483 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
I call bull**** on your comment.

Biden denied the donor’s association to the fossil fuel industry before calling the young woman “kiddo†and taking her hand. He said, “I want you to look at my eyes. I guarantee you. I guarantee you. We’re going to end fossil fuel.â€

"The more pain we are all experiencing from the high price of gas, the more benefit there is for those who can access electric vehicle," Pete Buttigieg
The US government has overruled the free market, picking winners and losers. They have picked solar power and BEVs to win. They have picked gasoline, coal, and natural gas to lose. Consumers have no say in the matter. The government will insure the winners they have picked win, and the losers they have picked lose.

People ask why so many EV haters on City Data? Why such political discussions about EVs? The government has caused this. We don't have contentious political arguments about LED lights and TVs because the market primarily provided this technology. There is no push back. The government is shoving BEVs down our throats, so there is push back.

It is a shame because BEVs are perfectly good tech. They are great for a small segment of today's car shoppers and that segment will grow over time as range rises and charging times drop.

EV discussions should have been fun, anxiously anticipating what the future holds for us, instead of being tainted because the government is shoving them down our throats.

Ideally, there would be no political discussion on this thread. We would just be asking questions of the OP's experience and others with EVs would just be sharing their experiences.

Old 11-18-2022, 09:48 PM

276 posts, read 146,146 times
You can hate the policies without just stating all EVs are crap.

I'll start by saying I don't care about "saving" the planet. I'm not "green" in anything I do and my vehicles include an F350 diesel truck and an ICE suv. I also typically have a fun car that I switch out often, last one being a Mustang GT 6 spd manual. I also don't believe the government should be involved in this in any way.

That being said I also own a Tesla and after owning one I can say that the only thing worse than a Tesla fanboy is an EV hater (ok maybe almost as bad).

The people who constantly bash on EVs have probably never owned an EV and/or are not the target market for an EV. Once EV is mentioned everyone becomes a road tripper. People that haven't gone more than 20 miles from their house in decades all of the sudden wonder how they will manage with only a 300 mile range. Not to mention almost 40% of US households own more than one vehicle.

If you live in a house and are able to charge at home IMO EVs are awesome. I didn't realize how much I disliked going to put gas until I had an EV. It's not the cost of the gas, it's simply the convenience. It seems my ICE vehicles are always low at the most inopportune time. With an EV I always have a full tank and I don't even use a fast charger at home. I use the regular outlet and it's enough for us.

The furthest I ever drive on a regular basis is around 70-100 miles each way and the Tesla can do that without any issues. However even if it didn't the idea that you have to sit at a charger for an hour is also bs. At least with Tesla you can get a decent amount of charge (100+ miles) in a few minutes depending on the charger. The lower the charge on the car the faster it charges. No one sits there and tries to top it off to 100% because that would take a long time and is unnecessary.

I own an EV because for me and my use case it's the best vehicle for the job. Not everyone who drives an EV is trying to make a political statement or virtue signal... some of us just actually like EVs. Priuses on the other hand....

Old 11-18-2022, 09:57 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I do not see why?

Most of my driving is EV [from my solar array]. I rarely buy gasoline.
So you only rarely need to decide whether to sentence every American to many slow and painful deaths.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
You can hate the policies without just stating all EVs are crap.

I'll start by saying I don't care about "saving" the planet. I'm not "green" in anything I do and my vehicles include an F350 diesel truck and an ICE suv. I also typically have a fun car that I switch out often, last one being a Mustang GT 6 spd manual. I also don't believe the government should be involved in this in any way.

That being said I also own a Tesla and after owning one I can say that the only thing worse than a Tesla fanboy is an EV hater (ok maybe almost as bad).

The people who constantly bash on EVs have probably never owned an EV and/or are not the target market for an EV. Once EV is mentioned everyone becomes a road tripper. People that haven't gone more than 20 miles from their house in decades all of the sudden wonder how they will manage with only a 300 mile range. Not to mention almost 40% of US households own more than one vehicle.

If you live in a house and are able to charge at home IMO EVs are awesome. I didn't realize how much I disliked going to put gas until I had an EV. It's not the cost of the gas, it's simply the convenience. It seems my ICE vehicles are always low at the most inopportune time. With an EV I always have a full tank and I don't even use a fast charger at home. I use the regular outlet and it's enough for us.

The furthest I ever drive on a regular basis is around 70-100 miles each way and the Tesla can do that without any issues. However even if it didn't the idea that you have to sit at a charger for an hour is also bs. At least with Tesla you can get a decent amount of charge (100+ miles) in a few minutes depending on the charger. The lower the charge on the car the faster it charges. No one sits there and tries to top it off to 100% because that would take a long time and is unnecessary.

I own an EV because for me and my use case it's the best vehicle for the job. Not everyone who drives an EV is trying to make a political statement or virtue signal... some of us just actually like EVs. Priuses on the other hand....
I guess my point is the EV haters and defenders are two sides of a coin that wouldn't exist if the government hadn't shoved BEVs down our throats, picking EV to win over gasoline. But for government interference, our discussions would be more like, "well I like EVs but I can see how they are not for everyone" with the answer "yeah, EVs don't meet my needs but I can see how they perfect for some people."

Instead we have contention because the government has politicized it.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:13 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
We'll always have a need for gas powered vehicles for towing and road trips. I don't see this ever changing. Let people buy the right vehicle for the job and let the free market decide - not the govt.
If it's left to the free market we'd still have steel dashboards, no airbags, no seatbelts and no child-proof locks on the doors.. We'd also have cars getting about five miles to the gallon. If that's your thing, great. I'd rather be driving something that I have a reasonable chance of survival if I'm involved in an accident.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
If it's left to the free market we'd still have steel dashboards, no airbags, no seatbelts and no child-proof locks on the doors.. We'd also have cars getting about five miles to the gallon. If that's your thing, great. I'd rather be driving something that I have a reasonable chance of survival if I'm involved in an accident.
If we let government pick everything, we would not have LED lights. The government tried to shove mercury-filled compact flourescent light bulbs down our throats for 5 years. How did that work out for us.

Bonus round: Break one and you have a hazardous waste cleanup.

Bonus round II: Solyndra
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies