Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 03:04 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,747,070 times

Advertisements

I just received a jury summons for November 21. I filled out the first form they sent, but a few of my neighbors threw theirs out, we are all over 65. I called the phone number on the summons, explained I had been on SSDI for years, and it would be impossible for me to sit for long periods of time to perform jury duty. The rep said I would need a doctors note not to appear and the age exemption is 74 so I don't qualify. I told her I don't have a doctor, I stopped going to PT during covid and I doubt the doctor will give me a note now since I haven't seen him in three years!

Additionally I told her I'm in the high risk age group for covid and don't want to get covid in the doctor's office. I didn't even mention to her I don't want to do jury duty either due to covid fear, and besides, it would be impossible for me to do jury duty with an N95 on, my time limit to wear the mask without suffocating is a half hour and that's pushing it.

When I explained to her my mom died last December and I couldn't even get her doctor to give me a script for home therapy since she wasn't walking, I guess she felt sorry for me and postponed it to May 2023, but she said I would receive another summons then.

In my state the choices are forced jury duty without a doctor's note, a fine up to $1,000 or not more than 3 days in jail (NY doesn't even jail criminals but would they arrest a disabled senior?).

I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have returned the first form they sent me, my neighbors didn't send theirs back and they didn't receive a jury summons yet.

Last edited by wp169; 11-02-2022 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 03:05 PM

3,113 posts, read 938,286 times
You will be fine.

Old 11-02-2022, 03:08 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,239,198 times
You won't suffocate in an N95. Sounds more like anxiety.

Old 11-02-2022, 03:12 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,116,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If you have breathing issues, it can be very hard to breathe in a mask. It would be extremely uncomfortable, for several hours.

Old 11-02-2022, 03:12 PM

43,073 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I just received a jury summons for November 21. I filled out the first form they sent, but a few of my neighbors threw theirs out, we are all over 65. I called the phone number on the summons, explained I had been on SSDI for years, and it would be impossible for me to sit for long periods of time to perform jury duty. The rep said I would need a doctors note not to appear and the age exemption is 74 so I don't qualify. I told her I don't have a doctor, I stopped going to PT during covid and I doubt the doctor will give me a note now since I haven't seen him in three years!

Additionally I told her I'm in the high risk age group for covid and don't want to get covid in the doctor's office. I didn't even mention to her I don't want to do jury duty either due to covid fear, and besides, it would be impossible for me to do jury duty with an N95 on, my time limit to wear the mask without suffocating is a half hour and that's pushing it. If I could do tele-jury from home I would have no problem being on a jury.

When I explained to her my mom died last December and I couldn't even get her doctor to give me a script for home therapy since she wasn't walking, I guess she felt sorry for me and postponed it to May 2023, but she said I would receive another summons then.

In my state the choices are forced jury duty without a doctor's note, a fine up to $1,000 or not more than 3 days in jail (NY doesn't even jail criminals but would they arrest a disabled senior?).

I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have returned the first form they sent me, my neighbors didn't send theirs back and they didn't receive a jury summons yet.
Your only recourse is to go see a doctor and get a note.

Old 11-02-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
You will be fine.
I would rather pay the fine than go on jury duty if I would never receive a summons again.

Old 11-02-2022, 03:16 PM

43,073 posts, read 18,246,291 times
Quote:
I would rather pay the fine than go on jury duty if I would never receive a summons again.
When you register to vote you get put on the list for being on a jury....civic duty.

Old 11-02-2022, 03:18 PM

3,113 posts, read 938,286 times
Quote:
I hear you about jury duty. I've been called many times, never picked. Wonder why

But, if you're scared of COVID, now is the time to let that fear go, and resume normal life. It's just a cold.

Old 11-02-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
When I went to the DMV to register a car I had the N95 on and due to a mistake they made I was forced to stay longer, and I couldn't do it. I was at the counter and told the DMV employee I had to walk out in the hallway, I couldn't breath with the mask on anymore so he said do what you have to do. After getting some air I went back in. What the heck would I do in that situation if I was on jury duty?

Old 11-02-2022, 03:21 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,239,198 times
Quote:
When I went to the DMV to register a car I had the N95 on due to a mistake they made I was forced to stay longer, and I couldn't do it. I was at the counter and told the DMV employee I had to walk out in the hallway, I couldn't breath with the mask on anymore so he said do what you have to do. After getting some air I went back in. What the heck would I do in that situation if I was on jury duty?
Anxiety is certainly real. Some anti-anxiety meds may help if focusing yourself doesn't work.

But there's a whole host of minute clinic and teleappointment options now. Use one of those and talk to a doctor/NP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies