Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 11:11 AM

29,520 posts, read 22,668,047 times

Advertisements

I'm sure it's pretty easy to skirt that law, and I also get why landlords do so.

It's unfortunate for those Section 8 renters who are decent and law abiding folk, but there's a reason why there's so much hesitancy in renting to Section 8 folks.

They are a magnet for criminal behavior and those who lower property values.

Quote:
More than two years after a law in California made it illegal for landlords to refuse to rent to people who pay through Section 8 and other subsidies, leasing agents routinely reject tenants because of their vouchers or illegally discourage their applications, according to tenant advocates and state officials.

The state's Civil Rights Department sponsored testing revealing that nearly half of properties polled in L.A. County this year showed signs of "unlawful discrimination" against voucher holders.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/californi...130919804.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 11:24 AM

9,883 posts, read 4,653,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm sure it's pretty easy to skirt that law, and I also get why landlords do so.

It's unfortunate for those Section 8 renters who are decent and law abiding folk, but there's a reason why there's so much hesitancy in renting to Section 8 folks.

Magnet for criminal behavior.

Most renters themselves are ok, pass background checks etc but wind up being the straw renter if you will. A friend or two may purposely use another friend qualified to rent to get into a house or apt. Or the renter thinking they are being kind giving someone a roof. This is why over the last year there have catastrophic fires in Philadelphia and NYC low income rental apts because about a dozen people wind up in units ment for 1/2 dozen tops.

Renters also get visitors, throw parties etc where the outsider, the person that does not live there causes most of the trouble.

Last edited by anononcty; 11-20-2022 at 12:17 PM..

Old 11-20-2022, 11:30 AM

25,745 posts, read 12,832,402 times
It still persists because Cali's full of wealthy white elite racists do not want anybody with brown skin living anywhere nearby.

Most vote Democrat, and they invented NIMBY (not in my backyard).

Old 11-20-2022, 11:31 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,092,438 times
Quote:

Why not? California voters got rid of affirmative action in the late 1990’s but left democrats ignored the voters and plowed on with racial discrimination in government positions and university admissions. The California colleges would have far greater number of Asian students if California stopped looking at race in admissions.

Old 11-20-2022, 11:46 AM

7,370 posts, read 3,536,587 times
i used to rent out a multi family house. rented to some young woman who had great credit but had poor taste in men. broken windows, disturbing other tenants, loud music. finally had to not renew her lease. being a landlord isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. there are lots of section 8 horror stories. basically if you rent section 8 you have to install low voltage outlets throughout, close up
as many windows as legally possible, go with a painted plywood floor and plain gray walls. keep it all no frills basic and bare. it makes cleaning out and renting to the next train wreck easier

Old 11-20-2022, 11:48 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,695,142 times
Viewing Section 8 housing is just like so many other things we deal with in this country when it comes to the perception that the general population has of it

Liberals would zone in on all the good people that section 8 housing helps while ignoring the problems that come with it. People against section 8 being in their neighborhood or close to it would be labeled as racist for being against it but they are the ones that are looking a the bigger picture. They to would agree it helps out people who truly need it & are good people but at what cost to the community?

Statistics will tell you that a decent % of people on section 8 are in some way or another connected to people who are criminals, do drugs, cause problems etc. This is why so many people are against wanting to be around it. The chances of it not effecting your life are very low. Most are single family homes so what that ends up being is children with no father in the picture & they are much higher on being ones who get into trouble & now are problems to your own children.

People who are in favor of putting section 8 everywhere would call you racist because they know we live in a country where when racism is thrown around people become weak and are afraid to stand tall for what they believe in. Even though common sense tells you section 8 is going to cause more problems.

People who rent to section 8 normally don't even do it because they want to help these people out. They just want a guarantee check from the government vs other renters who can be problems and at the end of the day. Section 8 people probably aren't going to take care of that property much worse than a typical renter who is only there for 1-2 years.

Old 11-20-2022, 11:48 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
i used to rent out a multi family house. rented to some young woman who had great credit but had poor taste in men. broken windows, disturbing other tenants, loud music. finally had to not renew her lease. being a landlord isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. there are lots of section 8 horror stories. basically if you rent section 8 you have to install low voltage outlets throughout, close up
as many windows as legally possible, go with a painted plywood floor and plain gray walls. keep it all no frills basic and bare.

I have been there done that when I worked in property management and with my own rentals.

It is all about class and generally poor people do not have it. .Sorry but it is true. It could be as simple as they were never taught right from wrong or they had a tough childhood but I think we all have seen the affects of poverty and more so Poor Mentality.

In my region everyone goes on about affordable housing but no one wants it to be built near them. There is a section 8 house in my neighborhood and it is the most ill kept run down house on the street. I don't know why they just can't pick up the trash in their front yard? It is all about class, personal responsibility and Pride.

The other day I drove by this house and one of the guys that lives there was saying goodbye to his girlfriend I'm assuming. She was really pretty, why do the girls like the bad boys so much, he looked like a drug dealing heroine addict in a hoodie. Oh well to each their own.

Sadly there is a criminal element that is attracted to Section 8 housing and that is a fact. it might not be the renter himself but their friends can cause lots of problems.

Old 11-20-2022, 12:21 PM

2,871 posts, read 1,151,113 times
In my observations throughout a rather long existence, it's been proven, time and again, that if a person has no financial skin in the game with regard to property, they have no vested interest in keeping up appearances or tending to the necessities of keeping a house in order. Drive by most Section 8 properties and you'll get the drift.

Old 11-20-2022, 01:06 PM

43,126 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Just drive by any Sect 8 neighborhood and you'll understand and agree with those that want nothing to do with Section 8.

Old 11-20-2022, 01:08 PM

43,126 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:

Also far and few between. Seniors would fit that description but alas....soon after their adult kids with their own kids end up moving in and it goes downhill from there.
Cause....everyone wants to ride on the gravy train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies