Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 06:24 PM

7,253 posts, read 3,776,807 times

Advertisements

California's problems in a nutshell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ggNbVd8f3M

Final words are to Democrats.

Quote:
...they've got to shed their political allegiance and just look at the world the way it is rather than the way they're told or the way they were brought up or the way they were acculturated and just ask a series of questions:
Does the freeway system work?
Can I afford gas?
Can I afford electricity?
Is it safe to go to our major cities?
Are my children being schooled?
Is there less crime?
Has this tribal diversity industry led to harmony, and unity and ecumenicalism, or has it led to something like the LA City Council rants.
And I think if they ask themselves, and I think they will, they'll decide that they are liberated to vote in the way that they feel best -- they're not shackled by the Left or the Democratic Party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2022, 06:39 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Freeways work. I'm not in LA. COVID and the WFH really, really helped. They were borderline before but again, I'm not from LA so they kind of worked and kind of didn't.
Gas, yes. Not just me apparently based on the choices of cars I see on the road. I'm probably only a bit worse than average at 20-22 mpg than most are. Teslas are Civics here as well, so for a lot Californians the answer is what's gas?
Electricity. Yes.
I haven't died going to San Francisco or Oakland. I don't do it as much anymore, mostly San Jose which is like a half major city.
No kids. Mostly depends on where you live as it's GIGO, garbage in, garbage out. Cupertino, Saratoga, Los Gatos all have excellent schools whereas San Jose they tend to be only average. Oakland has terrible schools.

The issue is primarily the cost of housing. It's expensive and not everyone can afford to live in a desirable part of California where things are working well. If you can the $6 gas and that electricity has shot up from 22 cents to 32 cents over the past year or so, they really honestly don't impact you. I have solar anyway so thus far I haven't paid anything for electricity this year, just hookup fees and natural gas.

California works well for who it works well for which is mostly people with high incomes and fairly moderate lifestyles. I could probably buy a 4,000 square foot house in Texas for what my apartment costs me, but I like living in a beach town. For other people the big house is more important and you really need to being doing well to afford that here.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:41 PM

4 posts, read 1,434 times
Too much car dependency.

Cars aren’t bad inherently. But total reliability makes it a pain.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:44 PM

29,808 posts, read 24,880,628 times
I know a lot of Californians who were pinning their hopes on legalized weed saving the state. They thought that industry could shore up the lose ends, but that dream has been completely crushed. Between the slave labor that's being used to produce cheap pot, the high taxes, the fact that the market has already been flooded with cheap, potent marijuana... The honest pot grower has a lot of unfair competition these days, and greedy politicians anxious to line their pockets with that weed revenue. The politicians were probably imagining that industry paying for all sorts of grand infrastructure projects that absolutely need to happen, but that's all up in smoke now.

California is basically a zombie. Lots of people depend heavily on mind altering substances to get by there. It does not look like a happy, wholesome place, but I will agree that the weather is amazing. Not worth all they have to pay to enjoy it though.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:54 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Hanson is spot on as usual. Unfortunately, despite not being happy with their state, most decided to reelect the party causing all of the chaos in the state.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:59 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
A 45 minute video interviewing a guy from the Hoover Institution. Bound to be objective.

Old 11-30-2022, 07:45 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I know a lot of Californians who were pinning their hopes on legalized weed saving the state. They thought that industry could shore up the lose ends, but that dream has been completely crushed. Between the slave labor that's being used to produce cheap pot, the high taxes, the fact that the market has already been flooded with cheap, potent marijuana... The honest pot grower has a lot of unfair competition these days, and greedy politicians anxious to line their pockets with that weed revenue. The politicians were probably imagining that industry paying for all sorts of grand infrastructure projects that absolutely need to happen, but that's all up in smoke now.

California is basically a zombie. Lots of people depend heavily on mind altering substances to get by there. It does not look like a happy, wholesome place, but I will agree that the weather is amazing. Not worth all they have to pay to enjoy it though.
You hang out with a lot of potheads.

Old 11-30-2022, 07:56 PM

29,808 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You hang out with a lot of potheads.

I'm a millennial. That stuff was advertised to and pushed on my generation hard. A lot of my friends that are into that ended up moving to Cali so I have an understanding of their experience and life. California, and perhaps the entire "left coast" is basically an open air drug market these days, so it's hard to talk about Cali without mentioning the huge burden of drug dependence which plagues so many residents these days. It's no wonder everything is so much more expensive there. They must be stoned out of their mind 24/7, which is detrimental to worker productivity.

I really hope this situation improves but it seems to get worse year after year, like most of their other problems. Gee... It's almost as if all those drugs are forcing them to make one bad decision after another... Who would have thought....

Old 11-30-2022, 07:57 PM

33,325 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I'm a millennial. That stuff was advertised to and pushed on my generation hard. A lot of my friends that are into that ended up moving to Cali so I have an understanding of their experience and life. California, and perhaps the entire "left coast" is basically an open air drug market these days, so it's hard to talk about Cali without mentioning the huge burden of drug dependence which plagues so many residents these days. It's no wonder everything is so much more expensive there. They must be stoned out of their mind 24/7 which is detrimental to worker productivity.

I really hope this situation improves but it seems to get worse year after year, like most of their other problems. Gee... It's if all those drugs are forcing them to make one bad decision after another... Who would have thought....
Have you ever been to California ?

Old 11-30-2022, 07:58 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
If "most" Californians weren't happy, then they would have voted him out and wouldn't have elected Dem mayors and Congresspeople.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies