Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2022, 03:16 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,662,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Supposing an all-out shooting was broke out, over the current issues we have today, Reds vs. Blues, fighting in your neighborhood. Would you take up arms?
I'm a Veteran...and still very sharp & capable.
Follow me and be alert!

Old 11-18-2022, 03:23 PM

4,989 posts, read 2,724,844 times
Most people have jobs and cannot afford to dump them to engage in this fight. Where are they going to get their money from? To feed their families, to pay their rents and mortgages? A nonstarter as I see it.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:29 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,669,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Supposing an all-out shooting was broke out, over the current issues we have today, Reds vs. Blues, fighting in your neighborhood. Would you take up arms?
No. Revolution is a young man's game (I tried looking up who said that, but I can't find it) and I'm not a young man. I'm a middle-aged family man, and my first responsibility is to my family. If the fighting comes up to my front door, I'll be prepared to defend myself and my family as best I'm able. But I'm not going to rush out into the street to join in.

That said, more and more, I'd welcome a peaceful dissolution of this country into two (or more) component pieces, so that I could move to a place where my values are upheld instead of denigrated.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:36 PM

2,953 posts, read 995,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
No, I'm not. The Army has always killed Americans in political battles.

4 Examples with the Presidents of the time.

Whiskey Rebellion- George Washington
The Burning of the Squatters in Lafayette Park- Herbert Hoover
Chicago Convention Riots- Lyndon Johnson
The Assault on the U.S. Capitol- Donald Trump

American civilians died in all of them. There are many more examples than these.

The officers do not refuse their orders, and neither do their troops.

The USA is not Ukraine, nor is it Syria. Yes- as a people, we are better than either or both of them.
But that simply does not mean our military will not obey their superiors.

It would take far, far more anger against each other than we have now to begin such a wide conflict as civil war.
Our police forces would be the first to fight, backed up by the National Guard, and then by the Army and Air Force.

The first two are always prepared to fight other Americans, and the fighting won't be widespread. It's as you say- our sons and daughters aren't going to kill us any more than most of us are going to try to kill them.
That's why a Civil War won't happen. Most of us simply won't join the fighting. But those who do will be crushed very quickly and thoroughly. By all means available.
You've referenced a handful of riots there and the topic is civil war. Apples and white mice. The US military is NOT going to take sides in a civil war.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
No. Revolution is a young man's game (I tried looking up who said that, but I can't find it) and I'm not a young man. I'm a middle-aged family man, and my first responsibility is to my family. If the fighting comes up to my front door, I'll be prepared to defend myself and my family as best I'm able. But I'm not going to rush out into the street to join in.

That said, more and more, I'd welcome a peaceful dissolution of this country into two (or more) component pieces, so that I could move to a place where my values are upheld instead of denigrated.
Lives in Maryland. Values are denigrated. Hmmm ... Conservative?

Old 11-18-2022, 03:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,029,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
You've referenced a handful of riots there and the topic is civil war. Apples and white mice. The US military is NOT going to take sides in a civil war.
Yes, they do. A Civil War would be the United States vs those who declare war on us from within.

The American Civil War of the mid 1800's was the US Military vs. the Confederate States Military, that declared war on the United States.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes, they do. A Civil War would be the United States vs those who declare war on us.

The American Civil War of the mid 1800's was the US Military vs. the Confederate States, that declared war on the United States.
Wrong. The US military split in half at the moment of secession. The majority of the officers on both sides served together, fought beside each other in the Mexican war and many knew one another as friends. The US military basically divided and fought itself. This is NOT the scenario being discussed. We're talking about a civil war at the grass roots level ... red vs blue. The US military is not going to take sides in that.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:49 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Wrong. The US military split in half at the moment of secession. The majority of the officers on both sides served together, fought beside each other in the Mexican war and many knew one another as friends. The US military basically divided and fought itself. This is NOT the scenario being discussed. We're talking about a civil war at the grass roots level ... red vs blue. The US military is not going to take sides in that.
The Union Military was still run by the President of the United States, and the Government of the Union was still run by those in the Capitol, although yes, there were defectors who moved to the Confederacy.

And then the Confederacy seceded from the Union, and declared war on the United States. And then, at the end of the war, The US President was still in office and he oversaw the reunification of the union and was surprisingly gracious to the insurrectionists.

If you're talking about street wars between blue and red, that's not going to happen because there are police, thank God, who will arrest and jail assailants.

And if you're talking about that, it's not a civil war. It's crazy nuts attacking other citizens in the streets.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:52 PM

It sounds like this is the time for an actual definition of what a Civil War is.

From Britannica:

civil war, a violent conflict between a state and one or more organized non-state actors in the state’s territory. Civil wars are thus distinguished from interstate conflicts (in which states fight other states), violent conflicts or riots not involving states (sometimes labeled intercommunal conflicts), and state repression against individuals who cannot be considered an organized or cohesive group, including genocides, and similar violence by non-state actors, such as terrorism or violent crime.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:54 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,997,021 times
No I would rather just go out fast in a hail of bullets than suffer late in life with multiple diseases. I'll just be a human shield. I can't shoot a gun well anyways. LOL. American Sniper, I am NOT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.