Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 03:48 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times

Advertisements

I can't think of anyone worse than somebody who would do that to the sandy hook parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 03:57 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
He doesn't have to pay anything in reality

Old 11-26-2022, 04:06 PM

3,336 posts, read 2,140,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I can't think of anyone worse than somebody who would do that to the sandy hook parents.
Ever hear of the government?

Old 11-26-2022, 04:37 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
What the judge is doing is setting precedent for this to happen again and again with other cases. Going outside the bounds of the law is unacceptable without good reason. Alex Jones is…Alex Jones, people already think he’s a pile of excrement so why does he need excessive punitive damages when he’s already broke? Who is this helping? Don’t tell me the Sandy Hook families. People who want money bc someone died just want money, it doesn’t avenge a death, and he wasn’t responsible for the deaths (or “deaths”) in the first place. This whole thing has been a circus.

Old 11-26-2022, 04:43 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
What did he do?

Old 11-27-2022, 01:08 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,225,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Families that were immediately giving interviews and joking around laughing in front of cameras? The pain they must have felt.
Sorry Alex about your loss.

Old 11-27-2022, 07:06 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Good. I'd love nothing more than to see him standing on street corners begging for spare change and sleeping on the sidewalks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, this will incentivize him not to make money. Bu bye, jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Alex Jones is a wretched excuse for a Human being for what he put the Sandy hook families through. I say shake him down for everything he's worth.
It's good to see that you three are willing to stand up for your principles, even if it means defending a less than savory character.

Oh, wait...

Old 11-27-2022, 07:13 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Good. I'd love nothing more than to see him standing on street corners begging for spare change and sleeping on the sidewalks.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...ok-1234635881/
Alex Jones will just seek legal advice, and there are all kinds of options, including as a last resort personal bankruptcy, whilst Infowars parent company, Free Speech Systems LLC, filed for bankruptcy in Texas in July.

An LLC is a business entity that prevents individuals from being liable for the company's financial losses and debt liabilities. In the event of legal action or business failure, liability is assumed by the company rather than its constituent partners or shareholders.

Bankrupt LLC's usually will take any company debt with them, once they are legally dissolved and it will be up to insolvency services to look at both the company bankruptcy and any subsequent personal bankruptcy, and how much of the debt is actually paid is highly questionable.

Any bankruptcy proceedings are being further hampered by the fact that assets are often in other members of the families names, and it's difficult to remove property or assets in other peoples names. Whilst rented assets or cars on Hire Purchase also can't be touched, and nor can essential items. Alex Jones, also operates a number of other limited liability companies, and will no doubt have family and friends as directors.

I remember British right wing figure Tommy Robinson facing massive costs,with allegations that he deliberately divorced his wife, and that houses and assets were put in her name to avoid seizure, and that once the insolvency is settled Robinson, will just remarry.

Robinson's ex-wife even set up a company to raise funds for him following their divorce, it's alleged that Robinson has access to numerous assets worth millions including a Bedfordshire mansion worth £1.2million, which is now owned by Robinson’s ex-wife Jenna Lennon, but that Robinson was often seen at the property chatting to builders during his bankruptcy, as the house was having a lot of construction and refurbishment paid for at the time.

So there are numerous ways and means to get around bankruptcy, as well as legal loopholes.

Alex Jones’ Infowars Bankruptcy Turns Spotlight to Family, Friends - Bloomberg Law

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-27-2022 at 07:54 AM..

Old 11-27-2022, 07:22 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What did he do?
He challenged The Narrative™.

He floated the idea that Sandy Hook was a false flag. Some of his listeners harassed some of the parents. The parents sued for defamation and won, somehow. Now, the 8th Amendment seems to have been jettisoned and they're levying what I believe are the largest fines ever onto him for it.

Pharma companies who knowingly put out deadly products pay smaller penalties. What's happening to Jones is clear cut persecution. I don't care if you like him or not - it's wrong.

Jones is the canary in the coal mine. He was selected for destruction precisely because he's so polarizing. The people in charge of that knew there was nothing at all they'd have to do to get at least half the public on board with abandoning their principles, and they were right.

Now that y'all have done it for him, you'll do it for anyone. The precedent has been set and the targeted, unjust destruction of a human being has been normalized for you. "He said something mean? He deserves it, just like Jones did."

I really wish people would think more about what they believe is right and wrong, and how hard they actually try to adhere to those things. There are people in this thread who claim to believe in free speech, yet have not only accepted, but cheered what happened to Jones. You can't have it both ways, guys. If you believe in free speech and justice, you can't be accepting of how far this has gone. Defamation? Ok. Punitive fine? Ok. Billions of dollars? That's over the line, and you know it. Our justice system exists to dispense justice, not revenge. That's why it's not called the revenge system.

Old 11-27-2022, 07:38 AM

9,509 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I don’t like the guy.
I think even he should get fair and equal treatment.
This does not sound square.
Why is that?

Yep.
Jones is an ass, to be sure, but this whole thing feels like politically motivated prosecution. Saying mean and insensitive things is boorish behavior, but not worthy of government-sanctioned ruining of one's life. If no one listens to his nonsense, he'll be out of business shortly. The government stepping in is over reach, and there is a good chance that this will eventually be overturned on the grounds of being a 1st Amendment violation and cruel and unusual punishment. It's nothing more than political show boating and sets a very bad precedent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies