Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 04:39 AM

4,239 posts, read 2,473,000 times

Advertisements

Bailouts, rent/mortgage moratoriums, "stimulus," student loan "forgiveness," etc. What's the point of being financially responsible under these circumstances? The financially responsible and prudent are always sacrificed to bailout the financially reckless and irresponsible.

A few weeks ago, I dislocated my shoulder and had to go to the ER to get it fixed. Under normal circumstances, I would pay the bill right away. But now, I think I will put off paying it indefinitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 04:43 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,309,285 times
The more you have, the more they can take. There's something to be said for having no net worth, however I'd rather have net worth and just protect it. But yes, being financially responsible has been a sucker's game since QE in 2008. We have a managed economy where everyone is debt-heavy, due to years of interest rate manipulation by central banks, suppressing rates, allowing companies to go heavy into debt just to do stock buybacks, and people to take on more debt than they should.

Bailing out will always be pushed over bankruptcy. The MMTers will tell you deflation is the real boogeyman, and the MMTers run the show right now.

Old 11-23-2022, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
The more you have, the more they can take. There's something to be said for having no net worth, however I'd rather have net worth and just protect it. But yes, being financially responsible has been a sucker's game since QE in 2008. We have a managed economy where everyone is debt-heavy, due to years of interest rate manipulation by central banks, suppressing rates, allowing companies to go heavy into debt just to do stock buybacks, and people to take on more debt than they should.

Bailing out will always be pushed over bankruptcy. The MMTers will tell you deflation is the real boogeyman, and the MMTers run the show right now.
God, I cannot wait until this empire of BS and fakery crashes and burns once and for all.

Old 11-23-2022, 04:55 AM

25,864 posts, read 12,901,647 times
I've been debt-ridden poor, & seen my Mother's car repossessed when I was 12; after my Dad split. I lived paycheck to paycheck for years.

I've also been debt-free and affluent enough to retire in my 50's.

I prefer the ladder by far.

I doubt the student loan thing will ever come to pass...it was a fake & successful vote-buying scam...its unconstitutional to take money from some taxpayers to pay off other taxpayers individual personal loans. They knew that all along.

It would be the same as taking taxpayer money to pay off another persons Master Card balance, or car loan.

Old 11-23-2022, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I've been debt-ridden poor, & seen my Mother's car repossessed when I was 12; after my Dad split. I lived paycheck to paycheck for years.

I've also been debt-free and affluent enough to retire in my 50's.

I prefer the ladder by far.

I doubt the student loan thing will ever come to pass...it was a fake & successful vote-buying scam...its unconstitutional to take money from some taxpayers to pay off other taxpayers individual personal loans. They knew that all along.

It would be the same as taking taxpayer money to pay off another persons Master Card balance, or car loan.
These student loan "extensions" are effectively a student loan forgiveness. Relatively few politicians will have the political will to reverse them.

Old 11-23-2022, 05:30 AM

21,170 posts, read 19,774,934 times
When you have a political party whose main theme is financial irresponsibility, is it any wonder?

Old 11-23-2022, 05:35 AM

18,468 posts, read 7,107,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Bailouts, rent/mortgage moratoriums, "stimulus," student loan "forgiveness," etc. What's the point of being financially responsible under these circumstances? The financially responsible and prudent are always sacrificed to bailout the financially reckless and irresponsible.

A few weeks ago, I dislocated my shoulder and had to go to the ER to get it fixed. Under normal circumstances, I would pay the bill right away. But now, I think I will put off paying it indefinitely.

If having self respect makes me a sucker, then I guess I'm a sucker.

Old 11-23-2022, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
When you have a political party whose main theme is financial irresponsibility, is it any wonder?
The Republicans are utterly complicit in this too.

Old 11-23-2022, 05:45 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,677,230 times
I'm split on this.

I don't like debt forgiveness at all. You took a chance with a loan, you need to suck it up and pay it off. I'm totally against student loan forgiveness. I am way more on board with subsidizing education for people who want to be teachers, nurses, public health, as well as doctors willing to work XX amount of years to serve in places no one wants to be.

As for stimulus and bailouts, I understand that's more about keeping the economy going and not letting it crash. Gosh I remember the auto industry bailouts during the Obama years I think it was. I guess some of these companies get too big to fail and their failure ends up hurting the country. That said, there's not enough of a requirement on those bailouts to make the companies give back when their fortunes turnaround.

I never got any of the stimulus money because people who live in high CoL areas tend to get punished on that, but I see why it's done and it's not to bail people out of some poor decision, but an attempt to keep them spending.

Old 11-23-2022, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm split on this.

I don't like debt forgiveness at all. You took a chance with a loan, you need to suck it up and pay it off. I'm totally against student loan forgiveness. I am way more on board with subsidizing education for people who want to be teachers, nurses, public health, as well as doctors willing to work XX amount of years to serve in places no one wants to be.

As for stimulus and bailouts, I understand that's more about keeping the economy going and not letting it crash. Gosh I remember the auto industry bailouts during the Obama years I think it was. I guess some of these companies get too big to fail and their failure ends up hurting the country. That said, there's not enough of a requirement on those bailouts to make the companies give back when their fortunes turnaround.

I never got any of the stimulus money because people who live in high CoL areas tend to get punished on that, but I see why it's done and it's not to bail people out of some poor decision, but an attempt to keep them spending.
There is no such thing as something for nothing. Once you understand this fundamental and immutable economic/thermodynamic law, you will be opposed to any and all "bailouts."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies