Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2022, 08:16 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We all get that. That the popular vote doesn't match the EC.

What we don't get, is why that's right? Why that's just?

We do get that the EC was designed to skew the will of the people, in favor of some of the people. We'd like to revisit that.
If you don't know why, then I have a few thoughts.

1) You high school history teacher needs to be fire ASAP.

2) You seriously need to do some research on the history of how our country came to be and why it was designed the way it is.

3) Let me guess. Are you in favor of adding as many additional SCOTUS justices as necessary to ensure liberal activist rulings too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
*shrugs*

Fair is fair. We vote by popular opinion, and majority, on ALL of our elections except the President.

There's no reason, except a dedicated decision to hand over more of the power to less of the people, to have an EC and not elect our President by popular vote.
Do some studying Clara. If you don't know why, then that is sad. So very very sad.

What has become of our education system when adults have no clue about the country they live in?

Old 12-02-2022, 08:26 PM

Well all I can say is THANK GOD all the people who want to do away with the EC will never get their way.

The EC is here forever and there isn't a damn thing any amount of anti-American people will be able to do to change that. Any attempt will fail.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:35 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
...Are you in favor of adding as many additional SCOTUS justices as necessary to ensure liberal activist rulings too?
See, if we didn't have the stupid EC system (and obstructionist Republicans), nobody would even be talking about increasing the size of the court.

Scalia died in March of 2016. Obama still had 10 months left of his presidency, but the Republicans refused to let him appoint a justice, as is his job. So the will of the people was thwarted.

Trump lost the vote, talks about grabbing women by their privates, barely slipped in to the WH via the EC, was a loser one-term president with very low support and approval, and he appoints 3 activist right-wingers. Someone who never should have been president picks 3 out of the 9 justices, who are relatively young and have life tenure. Then Roe vs Wade gets overturned, when the majority of the country is pro-choice and was fine with Roe, or supported it.

I was fine when the makeup of the court was 4 liberals, 4 conservatives, and Chief Justice Roberts as the sort of swing vote in the middle. That was a reasonable era. But now we have 6 conservatives on there, and that is not reflective of the populace. So, yes, I'm in favor of doing whatever they can to try to do something about that imbalance. I don't want the court to be liberal- I want it to be balanced again.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:35 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
The popular vote doesn't have to match the EC, THAT'S THE POINT OF THE EC.

When are people going to learn about the history of how our country came to be and the reasons why it was designed the way it is?
You mean to maintain the institution of slavery? It had as much to do with that as anything.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:40 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Well lookie here. After you posted no one is pushing to eliminate the EC, someone comes along stating they want to eliminate the EC.
I’m talking about people who have anything to do with it, like Congressmen or Senators. Not people on City Data.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:44 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Do some studying Clara. If you don't know why, then that is sad. So very very sad.

What has become of our education system when adults have no clue about the country they live in?
I DO know why there's an EC, and it's the same reason there's 2 senators for every state regardless of the population of those states.

I just . . . disagree with that.

And, again, let's keep with the senate where people in the flyover states have MUCH MORE POWER than anyone else in the US, but let's disband the Electoral College. Because, enough is enough of giving people in unpopulated areas much more power than everyone else.

Old 12-02-2022, 10:24 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Clara, curious as to what your age is.

I'm shocked you want to unAmerica America.
When our constitution was written there were barely 4 million citizens. We now have over 300 million. Yes, the constitution says every state gets two senators even though some have less than a million and some states have millions of people. And yes they wanted every state to have a say in the presidential election. But that was then when our country wasn't that populated and they had no foresight about our future

Old 12-03-2022, 12:01 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
The center minus metro-areas are indeed largely red. This is even the case in New York if you go away from areas like Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse and of course New York City. This led me to actually get this, praise Trump or Cruz (I forget which) during the 2016 Republican Presidential Primary campaign for New York. I forget which said "New York forgot you." This is largely due to the fact that people away from more suburban and urban areas actually have different values than those in suburban and urban areas.

Rural voters are more likely to rely on religion for their values. Not that suburban areas couldn't see religious based conservatism, but rural voters are more likely to stick to dogmas. Rural voters also tend to believe conspiracy theory. Often times, rural voters tend to have the most strict religious back political values. Look at abortion bans, most states with them with the repeal of Roe V. Wade are more rural states, while states legalizing abortion have more metropolitan areas.

If you look at a number of videos, pre-COVID we saw a lot more rural people in conspiracy theories such as flat Earth. Conspiracy theories before the COVID era were based around a lack of information and availability to fact check. With COVID, things were a bit different where there was too much information and often it was hard to tell what exactly was true, even by legitimate sources.

Old 12-03-2022, 01:41 AM

11,483 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Well all I can say is THANK GOD all the people who want to do away with the EC will never get their way.

The EC is here forever and there isn't a damn thing any amount of anti-American people will be able to do to change that. Any attempt will fail.
It is only a matter of time before the Boomers die off and younger Americans who were deprived of school history classes reach a point where they abolish the electoral college by passing a constitutional amendmendment. We are very close to a tipping point now, with all of the liberal Boomers who want to ban the electoral college.

I give the EC about 4 more presidential elections before the electoral college is banned and the president is elected by the popular vote.

They know not what they do. Truly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies