Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 08:16 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
how it used to be. my grandparents and great grandparents didnt have health insurance. if you got sick and died, it was just part of life and expected. people had tons of kids, many who never made it to adulthood. now, healthcare and health insurance have become one and everyone demands it be for free.
And people determine their healthcare on what the insurer will pay for.

If the insurer doesn't pay for it, they don't do it. They listen to the insurer, not the doctor.

That's not care. That's coupon shopping. Hey this is BOGO, let's do that! I mean I don't need it but who cares, it's included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 08:19 AM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
False statement - not really surprising. Do you have any idea how much red tape and governmental baloney adds to the level of healthcare paperwork? Probably not.

Healthcare is no prize pig in itself as an industry (it's actually up there with cable companies), but to solely blame HC companies shows you have no idea what you are talking about.
Now, let’s look at the actual truth, rather than continue this inane finger pointing. The “System” in totality, is comprised of private medical groups, private networks, Academia, as well as state and federal government, all working together to fleece the public out of as much money as they can possibly extract! The entire system has become the largest industry in the country, with its annual cost increases multiple times the rate of inflation, to which no other industry or “product” even comes close. And, to add injury to insult, no other industry even comes close to causing as much harm and death to its customers either. What a combo!

Part of the problem is that people are so damned gullible and naive, that this cartel of legal drug pushers can continue to scam them into oblivion, and nobody seems to notice. Fleeced like sheep, over and over again, as they scramble to enroll in a system designed to poison them, and milk them like dairy cows, while paying through the nose for the “privilege”.

The scheme that portrays the insurance companies being at odds with the “healthcare” providers is at the center of the scam. These entities are not in conflict, other than perhaps how much of the pie each side gets to pocket.

Nevertheless, the healthcare insurance providers are essentially a surrogate of the healthcare industry which gave birth to the currently largest, and most profitable Ponzi scheme ever created. It buries its fraudulent excesses, like hospitals charging $100.00 for an aspirin, or $10,000/day for a bed and a nurse that looks in on you a few times a day, in healthcare insurance premiums associated with the multitude of plans and their differing costs, coverages, exclusions, max out of pocket and max annual benefits, that freaking attorneys have a hard time sorting out.

In short, look at the hospitals, doctors, healthcare provider networks, insurance companies, pharmacies, etc., as a group of hyenas all fighting each other for their portion of the felled carcass (you the patient).

Old 11-29-2022, 08:31 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
It wasn’t the healthcare industry that caused the problem. It was our government and the idiots who voted for “fundamental change.” My wife has worked in medical billing for two decades, and the number of people required to stay in compliance with the ACA regulations is ridiculous. About half of the personnel at your doctor’s office are now there solely to file insurance claims, ensure compliance, and fight with Medicare and Medicaid over whether or not something is billable.

As usual, the government got involved in the private market and broke it. Anyone who pays attention to history knew this would happen. Anyone who is surprised by it probably voted for Biden.
If your wife worked in medical billing for two decades, she would know that ACA regulations made little difference in medical billing. It was no different before the ACA took effect.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:36 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
I thought EHA was supposed to help reduce some of these costs.

A doctor I once saw told me that insurance companies were the primary reason for the significant increases in anything healthcare from prescriptions to procedures. I think she's right. IMO there is no bigger scam than insurance (of any kind) but you can't live with it and you can't live without it.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:42 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
The American healthcare industrial complex is such an odious racket, that it can never be fixed. The entire thing needs to be scrapped and then rebuilt from scratch.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:43 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
The American healthcare industrial complex is such an odious racket, that it can never be fixed. The entire thing needs to be scrapped and then rebuilt from scratch.
Just scrapped.

Let the market reset the prices.

Shocking how quickly prices will drop when people aren't shielded from the cost. POOF healthcare will immediately become affordable.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:53 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Just scrapped.

Shocking how quickly prices will drop when people aren't shielded from the cost. POOF healthcare will immediately become affordable.
One of the biggest problems is that no one knows how much anything costs. Is there anyone else who can get away with obscuring their prices? Imagine you go to the auto shop to get a new serpentine belt for you vehicle. You ask the mechanic how much it will cost, and he says he will only reveal the price after he has done the work. It could be a hundred bucks, it could be a thousand bucks, who knows.

Healthcare providers need to list the prices of everything, from a few stitches, to open heart surgery.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:54 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Just scrapped.

Except that there would be a huge transition cost with that and result in hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths every year.

The more free market parts of US health care like vision and for the most part dental are stuff that can be deferred indefinitely without necessarily long term negative health effects. If you have to save up to pay for a new pair of glasses, no big deal.

If you’re 22, working your first job, and still building savings when you get hit by a car while biking to work, it’s not like you can defer medical care at that point until you can afford to fix your shattered femur/save your life.

Medical debt is already the leading cause of bankruptcy in the country. Yeah, lets make that so much worse. Brilliant way to totally tank the US economy!

Old 11-29-2022, 08:57 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
It wasn’t the healthcare industry that caused the problem. It was our government and the idiots who voted for “fundamental change.” My wife has worked in medical billing for two decades, and the number of people required to stay in compliance with the ACA regulations is ridiculous. About half of the personnel at your doctor’s office are now there solely to file insurance claims, ensure compliance, and fight with Medicare and Medicaid over whether or not something is billable.

As usual, the government got involved in the private market and broke it. Anyone who pays attention to history knew this would happen. Anyone who is surprised by it probably voted for Biden.
^^^ all of this.

Old 11-29-2022, 08:58 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Some offices have to employ 2-3 people just to manage the health insurance paperwork.
My dentist has 2 full time and 1 part time doing insurance paperwork and follow-up (can take months to get all payments from those insurers)

It created jobs.
One of the problems is the industry has confused the terms "health insurance" and "pre-paid health expense." Health insurance should cover catastrophic events. For example, I have dental insurance. I have had very little dental work done in my entire life. I get a checkup and my teeth cleaned every six months. Dental insurance should cover major issues that would cost me over $1K or more. You could compare it to auto insurance. Your auto insurance doesn't cover the cost of oil changes or new tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
False statement - not really surprising. Do you have any idea how much red tape and governmental baloney adds to the level of healthcare paperwork? Probably not.

Healthcare is no prize pig in itself as an industry (it's actually up there with cable companies), but to solely blame HC companies shows you have no idea what you are talking about.
Health insurance billing adds much more than compliance with government regulations. You have no idea how much time is in involved in documentation for third party billing and insurance denials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies