Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 03:14 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Did previous generations have both husband/wife die together at the same time ?
"People 50-plus today are more likely than earlier generations to be divorced, separated or never married."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 03:17 PM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
"People 50-plus today are more likely than earlier generations to be divorced, separated or never married."
So are younger people and impacts GenZ the most due to technology.

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/pop-c...est-ncna873101

Gen Z or iGen, the youngest generation of adults, report feeling more lonely than previous generations. Here's how parents can help the next one.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:18 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Rather than concentrating on building McMansions through the years, we should have been concentrating on building reasonably sized small homes (and also NOT townhouses, apartments, and condos--i.e. "people warehouses") in small pocket neighborhoods for urban dwellers. There are such neighborhoods in various cities throughout the nation. They inevitably sell out very fast and go for a premium. The homes range from around 500 sq ft to around 1200 sq ft.

As an older single person who has no plans to ever get married again, anything larger is just too much house for me and makes no sense, logically. Once I am financially able (as in able to leave my job and move my butt out of here), I will be in around a 600 to 800 sq ft home in either a rural area or very small town.
Well yeah, you have your bedroom, kitchen, living room/TV room, and wherever you go to use your computer. That's really all I need too.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:26 PM

7,369 posts, read 3,533,397 times
Quote:
Rather than concentrating on building McMansions through the years, we should have been concentrating on building reasonably sized small homes (and also NOT townhouses, apartments, and condos--i.e. "people warehouses") in small pocket neighborhoods for urban dwellers. There are such neighborhoods in various cities throughout the nation. They inevitably sell out very fast and go for a premium. The homes range from around 500 sq ft to around 1200 sq ft.

As an older single person who has no plans to ever get married again, anything larger is just too much house for me and makes no sense, logically. Once I am financially able (as in able to leave my job and move my butt out of here), I will be in around a 600 to 800 sq ft home in either a rural area or very small town.
the market decides what is built. gen x and millennials want to live in giant enclaves. gen z on the other hand prefers shipping containers. solution: convert mcmansions into nursing homes and multi family housing. kind of what happened to many victorian homes in the 50s - 80s

Old 11-29-2022, 03:35 PM

1,579 posts, read 950,511 times
Hey, I fall into that group. I am GenX, divorced, and don't intend to ever marry again. I am only a little younger than my mom was when she became a widow (my dad died of cancer)... same with her mother who was also a widow in her 50s (my grandfather had a heart attack at work). And even my great grandmother who was a widow in her late 40s. These women all live into their 90s (almost to 100). They did just fine. So I really don't see how my situation is any different than being a widow. I don't expect my daughter to take care of me (although she jokes that she will move me into an in-law suite when I am too old to live alone).

Quote:

Yeah, this is my dream home too (picture below). I found a plan for a cute one story, just under 1200 sq ft home (because it includes a garage) that I would love to build on some plot of land, maybe just outside a small town. It has one common room for kitchen, living room, and dining room, two bedrooms (I want a guest room), two baths, and porch to sit on out back in the summers. I've been looking for land to build it on but it's going to be a while before I move again.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:39 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Gen X wants their nice little caves- okay decent-sized caves- where we can get people not to bother us. I see The Villages ads and cringe, not over the politics, but over the forced fun aspect. I really don’t want ot go through most of my post-age 65 life surrounded by other old people. The goal is to stay in an all ages neighborhood as long as possible.

I spent some time working in aging, and the tools are there to allow for a lot more aging in place- give folks a medic alert bracelet, or in modern terms, a smartwatch with alarm button- and about 5-10 hours of household help and personal care and you can seriously delay the trip to ‘The Home’ because that’s the care level a lot of folks need.

The problem is that the nursing home and assisted living industry has all the good lobbyists so they block sensible policies like Medicaid diversion program that provide ‘Miss Ada’ with that kind of help she needs to stay in her home and community (which provides better long term outcomes) for maybe 15% of the cost of moving Miss Ada to assisted living at taxpayer expense.

Florida’s Medicaid waiver program for nursing home diversion-

https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/...version-waiver

IMO, what we need to do is encourage those kinds of waiver programs for people with moderate limitations, which would free up a lot of funds to tackle people with more severe issues like those who are in the long awful slide into end stage dementia.

As people live longer and avoid a lot of things that used to kill the 60-85 age group, we’re going to see a lot more end/late stage dementia, and a spouse or a child is just not equipped to handle the 24/7 care that a late stage dementia person requires.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:44 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
Hey, I fall into that group. I am GenX, divorced, and don't intend to ever marry again. I am only a little younger than my mom was when she became a widow (my dad died of cancer)... same with her mother who was also a widow in her 50s (my grandfather had a heart attack at work). And even my great grandmother who was a widow in her late 40s. These women all live into their 90s (almost to 100). They did just fine. So I really don't see how my situation is any different than being a widow. I don't expect my daughter to take care of me (although she jokes that she will move me into an in-law suite when I am too old to live alone).

Yeah, this is my dream home too (picture below). I found a plan for a cute one story, just under 1200 sq ft home (because it includes a garage) that I would love to build on some plot of land, maybe just outside a small town. It has one common room for kitchen, living room, and dining room, two bedrooms (I want a guest room), two baths, and porch to sit on out back in the summers. I've been looking for land to build it on but it's going to be a while before I move again.

Great looking home. Is the plan online?

Old 11-29-2022, 03:48 PM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
The younger crowd bought those small older homes, razed them and built McMansions going from property line to property line.
Saw them do it in downtown Austin.

They did the same here along the beach here in SC...older "cottages" were bought, razed and built 5000-6000 sq foot McBeachCottages

And now they sit

Old 11-29-2022, 03:50 PM

1,579 posts, read 950,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Great looking home. Is the plan online?

Yes it is! https://www.houseplans.net/floorplan...ms-2-bathrooms

I just realized I made a mistake about the square footage when I pasted the link. I haven't looked at the plans in while and I had in my head that it was just under 1200 sq ft, it's just over 1200 sq ft. Six of one, half dozen more of the other I guess. I still love it though.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:50 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Gen X wants their nice little caves- okay decent-sized caves- where we can get people not to bother us. I see The Villages ads and cringe, not over the politics, but over the forced fun aspect. I really don’t want ot go through most of my post-age 65 life surrounded by other old people. The goal is to stay in an all ages neighborhood as long as possible.

I spent some time working in aging, and the tools are there to allow for a lot more aging in place- give folks a medic alert bracelet, or in modern terms, a smartwatch with alarm button- and about 5-10 hours of household help and personal care and you can seriously delay the trip to ‘The Home’ because that’s the care level a lot of folks need.

The problem is that the nursing home and assisted living industry has all the good lobbyists so they block sensible policies like Medicaid diversion program that provide ‘Miss Ada’ with that kind of help she needs to stay in her home and community (which provides better long term outcomes) for maybe 15% of the cost of moving Miss Ada to assisted living at taxpayer expense.

Florida’s Medicaid waiver program for nursing home diversion-

https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/...version-waiver

IMO, what we need to do is encourage those kinds of waiver programs for people with moderate limitations, which would free up a lot of funds to tackle people with more severe issues like those who are in the long awful slide into end stage dementia.

As people live longer and avoid a lot of things that used to kill the 60-85 age group, we’re going to see a lot more end/late stage dementia, and a spouse or a child is just not equipped to handle the 24/7 care that a late stage dementia person requires.
This time we agree. I got out- again- from under the 55+ community routine, although be 70 next spring. I am just not that groupie. I see them once in a while, but moved to a updated cottage 1-1 with large den, patio
yard etc and joined a large gym. There is a community park close by that plan to see what’s activities they offer. Closer to beach too. Love it! I see kids, young people and make my own plans, and that makes me happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies