Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 08:51 AM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Yes they can and they don't need a reason.. The last congress weaponized impeachment without a reason in their 1st impeachment.

That said, I'm not in favor of this new congress weaponizing impeachment the same way the last disgraceful Congress did even if Quid Pro Joe deserves the 25th.
The only way this back and forth will end and cooler heads having a chance to prevail is if one party says, sure we can go ahead and do just what the other party did to our POTUS but we are not going to.

I don't see that happening now. But it should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2022, 09:13 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,423,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The only way this back and forth will end and cooler heads having a chance to prevail is if one party says, sure we can go ahead and do just what the other party did to our POTUS but we are not going to.

I don't see that happening now. But it should.
Once the new Speaker is identified we'll have a better idea of what the GOP House will do. McCarthy may not win, and if he's out there's hope that the one chosen will be a non-MAGA normal person.

Old 12-01-2022, 11:23 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,216,223 times
Default Let's be real

The democrats use impeachment to derail Trump and, for the low information voters, cast Trump in a bad light. The star chamber all democrat & Republican rhinos led reason for impeachment, a "bad" telephone call-Did anyone understand this?

Now, a fraudulent FBI raid based on a letter from the National Archives!? Machine guns present out in front for the media cameras!

Now the nation is led by a senile president with a provable track record of a years long "play for pay" scheme. misuse of government agencies and a massive cover-up involving the national media.

Can the GPO impeach Biden or Harris (Border czar) for virtually any reason they want?

I can think of a few off the top of my head.

Old 12-01-2022, 01:51 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,195,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
I can think of a few off the top of my head.
For instance? What impeachable offenses?

Old 12-01-2022, 01:57 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,770,925 times
Quote:
Next year the GOP will have the majority in the house. Its widely thought that they will try to impeach Biden.

Now a sitting POTUS is suppose to be impeached for committing an impeachable offense.

The constitution says these crimes are impeachable:

Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Treason and bribery are easy but what is a high crime or misdemeanor?

How broad can this be defined? Can the GOP simply say something Biden did is impeachable, vote on it and impeach Biden? Are there any checks and balances?
Pretty much anything they decide it is. The only check on this power is public opinion.

Which is why Trump was never convicted. They mustered the votes to impeach, but never swayed public opinion.

Let me be clear, I certainly think Trump should have been convicted. I doubt Biden will be convicted, for much the same reason Trump wasn't - you have to sell it to more than half the voters, to support the Congressional vote, and there's no way that will happen.

Old 12-01-2022, 02:45 PM

11,564 posts, read 6,041,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
Once the new Speaker is identified we'll have a better idea of what the GOP House will do. McCarthy may not win, and if he's out there's hope that the one chosen will be a non-MAGA normal person.
McCarthy is a lock. I would bet the house, if I could find a line in Vegas.

Old 12-01-2022, 02:53 PM

38,007 posts, read 22,180,147 times
Quote:
Next year the GOP will have the majority in the house. Its widely thought that they will try to impeach Biden.

Now a sitting POTUS is suppose to be impeached for committing an impeachable offense.

The constitution says these crimes are impeachable:

Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Treason and bribery are easy but what is a high crime or misdemeanor?

How broad can this be defined? Can the GOP simply say something Biden did is impeachable, vote on it and impeach Biden? Are there any checks and balances?
The dems impeached Trump without having proved he committed any crimes. They impeached him for what they thought he might have been thinking about doing. The dems made it so we can impeach a president if his political opponents imagine he has secret thoughts that they don't agree with.

Old 12-01-2022, 02:54 PM

38,007 posts, read 22,180,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Pretty much anything they decide it is. The only check on this power is public opinion.

Which is why Trump was never convicted. They mustered the votes to impeach, but never swayed public opinion.

Let me be clear, I certainly think Trump should have been convicted. I doubt Biden will be convicted, for much the same reason Trump wasn't - you have to sell it to more than half the voters, to support the Congressional vote, and there's no way that will happen.
Trump convicted of what crime?

Old 12-01-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Trump convicted of what crime?
The process goes like this -

First, impeachment - this is analogous to indictment, it is a process for deciding to bring charges and for deciding what those charges should be. May or may not be for an indictable crime as we normally define such.

Second, conviction (or not) - analogous to a trial, is the president guilty of the charges brought by the impeachment process. If conviction occurs, the president is removed from office.

I certainly thought he should have been convicted of fomenting an insurrection. Obviously, that didn't happen.

As many people have observed, impeachment/conviction is a political process as much as or even more than it is a trial of fact.

https://www.findlaw.com/litigation/l...procedure.html

Note that even though we use some of the same words to describe them, impeachment is not a criminal trial.

If a president is successfully impeached and loses office, s/he might still have to go through a criminal trial, depending on what s/he was impeached for. The Constitution provides that the ONLY penalty for successful impeachment is loss of office. "Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law." https://www.heritage.org/constitutio...or-impeachment

Last edited by jacqueg; 12-01-2022 at 04:09 PM..

Old 12-01-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The dems impeached Trump without having proved he committed any crimes. They impeached him for what they thought he might have been thinking about doing. The dems made it so we can impeach a president if his political opponents imagine he has secret thoughts that they don't agree with.
Nah. This is a property of the impeachment process itself. As I said above, "high crimes and misdemeanors" is pretty much what Congress says it is. And "high crimes and misdemeanors" may or may not have anything to do with our everyday definitions of crime.

And you could just as well argue that Rs started this when they impeached Clinton.

Most Americans did not agree that a president should be removed from office for lying about a blow job. And a blow job between consenting adults, in or out of marriage, hasn't been a crime for quite some time.

Clinton's law license was suspended for five years, he paid a $90,000 fine, and he was forever disbarred from presenting cases before SCOTUS. Seems to me that was an appropriate penalty for his lying.

Last edited by jacqueg; 12-01-2022 at 04:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies