Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 12:29 PM

45,595 posts, read 27,223,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Even most Democrats know the soak-the-rich tactic, in-order to heap-on more programs and giveaways, will do not good.
Yes - Democrats know it.

Yes - Democrats will continue to push the "tax the rich" angle because it gets votes by feeding off of jealousy and envy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 04:11 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,793,878 times
I wonder why the demon is always "medicare spending" without mention of Medicaid spending?
Right now we spend 689 billion on medicare (2021) and 728 billion on Medicaid.
The difference is people contribute to medicare over their lifetime through payroll taxes (matched by their employers or themselves if self-employed). On the other hand, Medicaid is welfare healthcare.

WHY DO WE NEVER HEAR MEDICAID IS IN DANGER OF BEING CUT?

https://www.kff.org/interactive/medicare-spending/
https://www.kff.org/medicaid/state-i...2:%22asc%22%7D

Old 12-05-2022, 04:14 PM

25,798 posts, read 18,848,819 times
At some point, the rich will either have moved out if the country and renounced citizenship, or stayed and been fleeced to the poorhouse by the government and parasite class. At that point, we are Venezuela.

Old 12-05-2022, 04:26 PM

7,481 posts, read 6,267,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I wonder why the demon is always "medicare spending" without mention of Medicaid spending?
The difference is people contribute to medicare over their lifetime through payroll taxes (matched by their employers or themselves if self-employed). On the other hand, Medicaid is welfare healthcare.

Added to your paragraph.
The difference is people contribute to medicare over their lifetime through payroll taxes (matched by their employers or themselves if self-employed), and from their Social Security and retirement. On the other hand, Medicaid is welfare healthcare.

Old 12-05-2022, 04:28 PM

43,153 posts, read 18,306,779 times
The rich can't save America but I betcha US retirement accounts can....total of $37 trillion (2020) that Congress would just love, love, love to get their hands on......

It could pay off the national debt and still leave Congress with some "pocket money" for their favorite pork.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/in/in11659

Old 12-05-2022, 04:55 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,004,802 times
No, but they can suck the money out of it for their own good, then move!

Old 12-05-2022, 04:57 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,748,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The rich can't save America but I betcha US retirement accounts can....total of $37 trillion (2020) that Congress would just love, love, love to get their hands on......

It could pay off the national debt and still leave Congress with some "pocket money" for their favorite pork.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/in/in11659
If they try and rob the 401k's DC is going to be full of a lot of strange fruit hanging from the streetlights.

Old 12-05-2022, 05:22 PM

25,795 posts, read 12,849,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Yep. "Tax the wealthy" proponents are seriously math impaired. Probably the product of the Common Core math debacle. I am worried for the future of this country with this much stupidity afoot.
omg...nice post.

1st of all, taxing the rich a lot will not scrape the surface of our national debt.

2nd, the wealthy will just increase our prices for everything if we jack their taxes.

That is not the answer.

Job #1 is to break the unholy alliance between big gov't and big biz.

I think a 3rd political party is also part of the solution, but that takes 2+ years so it wont impact 2024.

Old 12-05-2022, 05:22 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 13 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Wealth makes wealth. In the hands of so few, it has been morphed into a machine that further enriches only that same few.

Why do you think wealth accumulation for this 1% has been accelerating. They own a third of all the wealth that is measured within this country. They own a lot more outside of the US. They use their position in this one to send and maintain it offshore.

They are also the ones bankrolling the dissolution of US sovereignty and erasure of our borders. Why would anyone want to help enrich those that could care less about the bottom 90%.

I suppose there are those of you who are or think they will attain the top 1%.

I am not advocating taxing the hell out of them. But certainly raise their taxes a bit more and absolutely do not lower their taxes.
I both agree & disagree. Certainly, if I manage to pay an employee $50k instead of $100k, and I keep the additional $50k, I can say I pay more taxes than them. But I'm not convinced that's the healthiest system overall. My only disagreement is that the ones collecting taxes - government - has a lot of evidence of either being a bad actor, or being subservient to bad actors.

Old 12-05-2022, 05:28 PM

4,429 posts, read 5,160,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

The sickest 10% on Medicaid account for 80% of the cost. That’s adults and children on ventilators and insulin drips, feeding tubes etc..

You think kids in cages was destructive public relations. The country would end if you pulled that plug. (Figuratively of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies