Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 10:47 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times

Advertisements

In person, I usually don't talk politics unless its someone who I know somewhat agrees with me.

I have friends who are obsessively anti-Trump, filled with TDS. I avoid politics with them. Family members are the only ones on the left these days I can talk with about politics and we do it on a very limited basis.

People have just gotten nuts about politics, as if it is a religion and everyone who doesn't agree with them is a heathen. You see these Facebook posts hostile to the other side and get amused that they don't seem to realize they have friends who don't share their opinions. That not everyone shares their point of view.

It wasn't this way in the past. I remember being able to have lively debates in college with almost anyone. Social media and political advertising has gotten into personal destruction to fire up the base and its not healthy. Its allowed people to get into bubbles where they don't see the other side, much like a lot of whites did with Blacks in segregation days. People are just filled with contempt and hate for the "other."

I will talk Covid and masks, but that can get heated when you are talking with the science denying mask Nazis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2022, 10:54 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,233,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
In person, I usually don't talk politics unless its someone who I know somewhat agrees with me.

I have friends who are obsessively anti-Trump, filled with TDS. I avoid politics with them. Family members are the only ones on the left these days I can talk with about politics and we do it on a very limited basis.

People have just gotten nuts about politics, as if it is a religion and everyone who doesn't agree with them is a heathen. You see these Facebook posts hostile to the other side and get amused that they don't seem to realize they have friends who don't share their opinions. That not everyone shares their point of view.

It wasn't this way in the past. I remember being able to have lively debates in college with almost anyone. Social media and political advertising has gotten into personal destruction to fire up the base and its not healthy. Its allowed people to get into bubbles where they don't see the other side, much like a lot of whites did with Blacks in segregation days. People are just filled with contempt and hate for the "other."

I will talk Covid and masks, but that can get heated when you are talking with the science denying mask Nazis.
I have several friends on both sides of the divide. They are in separate circles. I never start anything political but when it is brought up my strategy is to answer the question/topic posed, wait for a reply, then change the subject.

That way we both get to make a stand/take a position, but I 'redirect' the conversation to go someplace non-political.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:18 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,175 times
I dont comment on fb media articles or cnn/msnbc youtube posts for this reason, you will be attacked by a bot army that I choose not to waste time with. I'm pretty sure the boits exist here too but some aren't as obvious.

Ive had plenty of family and former friends delete me because of a different political opinion. I have deleted/unfriend no one for such reasons. Still plenty of both liberal and conservative friends. Those people that cant remain friends because of a different political opinion are welcome to stay away because they don't deserve a reasonable open minded person such as me for a friend anyhow.

Last edited by tipsyguam; 12-08-2022 at 11:28 AM..

Old 12-08-2022, 01:02 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I'll talk to anybody about anything. What's funny here in this political forum is that I'm labeled a liberal because I do not agree with this toxic MAGA ideology. I actually test Libertarian with a conservative fiscal leaning and a liberal mind your own business live and let live social ideology. I find most of society is like me vs the minority fringe on both sides.

What's difficult is getting facts through to the emotionally triggered I don't want to hear it crowd. Been there with some seniors that only watch FOX news. It's bizarre, but I still talk to them anyway. Once they're over their emotional tirade you can ask them simple questions that hopefully entice them to read something.

Old 12-08-2022, 02:52 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Some of my views are to the right of the right-wingers. Others, to the left of the left-wingers. It's next to impossible to find a tribe to which to belong, and thus one has to be careful and circumspect essentially everywhere.

Even on an anonymous forum, one has to measured. Too inflammatory of a posting would get deleted. Even if not, it would garner all sorts of censure, ruining one's online reputation. Then there's the fear of posting things that allow one to be personally identified, with self-evidently bad consequences.

A lesson that I've learned from participating in THIS forum, is that while reasonable people (yes, some do exist) can indeed find common ground, this is more a result of pragmatic willingness to compromise, rather than a genuine convergence towards shared views. Or if you like, agree to disagree. I've also found that this has less to do with politics in the traditional sense, than with attitudes towards family and having (or not having) kids, and cultural identification. Questions strictly about politics - for whom to vote, which bills should be passed, how the courts ought to decide - while fractious, aren't so important. Questions about who we are, and how we ought to live - those are much more important... and much harder to reach a genuine compromise.

Old 12-08-2022, 08:41 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
I enjoy participating in many of the political discussions on this forum while they remain civil and respectful.

Last edited by ansible90; 12-08-2022 at 09:16 PM..

Old 12-08-2022, 11:54 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
These topics that are tabu within my region

1: Gun regulations
2: Abortion
3: Freedom of Press
4: Hunting
5: Land Conservation
6: Practice of faiths outside the Christian one.

This is RED country.

Any useful broadening of the mind and reconsideration are strictly denied .

SunGrin post is a balance p.o.v for online or forum related

Old 12-09-2022, 05:39 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
These topics that are tabu within my region

1: Gun regulations
2: Abortion
3: Freedom of Press
4: Hunting
5: Land Conservation
6: Practice of faiths outside the Christian one.

This is RED country.

Any useful broadening of the mind and reconsideration are strictly denied .

SunGrin post is a balance p.o.v for online or forum related
I could believe you until you endorsed SunGrins totally delusional post.
The moderators here trend left. The board is pretty balanced. A year ago it was a little more liberal. Now its a little more conservative.

Old 12-09-2022, 06:00 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Yep.... for the peace in the family... the discussion of COVID is no more with my son and daughter-in-law. Both at one time worked FOR Fauci and thought the sun rose and sat on his tush. Both hubby and I were what we feel like was coerced into the vaccines due to their "knowledge" of the subject. With that said... I know they didn't do it to lie to us, I figure it was what they were being told at the time in their jobs, and I'd love to ask him what he thinks now......but best to leave sleeping dogs lie...... For a peaceful holiday......

Old 12-09-2022, 06:06 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
There are the limits to free speech, here and elsewhere. There are things you can't post or say without getting banned. And some things you can't say in public without arrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies