Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 10:35 AM

20,846 posts, read 17,189,284 times

Advertisements

That picture of her shaking the terrorists hand never made it to the major news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2022, 10:51 AM

8,455 posts, read 12,232,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Why do people think the fact that it’s legal here means she can just take it anywhere? While the penalty is clearly ridiculous, she did break their laws.
That's not the question (Remember Paul McCartney busted for pot in Japan?). The issue is why do conservatives make this a comparison of a Marine vs. a black lesbian athlete? Why mention that she is black and lesbian except to cast aspersions on those categories?

In the broader sense, how do you judge who is worthier of being brought home? Conservative commentators do not compare their crimes.

Per Tucker Carlson:

Quote:
“Whelan is a Trump voter, and he made the mistake of saying so on social media,” Mr. Carlson said in his monologue. “He’s paying the price now. Brittney Griner is not. She has very different politics. Brittney Griner despises the United States.” And Mr. Carlson was explicit about her identity — “which,” he said, “is central to equity.” He continued, “Brittney Griner is not white, and she’s a lesbian.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/09/u...-blowback.html

Old 12-10-2022, 11:10 AM

18,774 posts, read 8,492,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
The issue is why do conservatives make this a comparison of a Marine vs. a black lesbian athlete? Why mention that she is black and lesbian except to cast aspersions on those categories?
dunno....ask Russia

"Russia media roasts Biden for freeing a "black lesbian hooked on drugs"......

Old 12-10-2022, 11:18 AM

24,160 posts, read 15,244,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Trump was smart enough to say no to such a deal. You don't make deals with terrorists. It will come back to haunt them.
Trump wanted to have the Taliban over for a meeting.

It was supposed to be at Camp David on 9-11.

Until it hit the fan.

Old 12-10-2022, 11:22 AM

4,066 posts, read 2,750,781 times
Quote:
That's not the question (Remember Paul McCartney busted for pot in Japan?). The issue is why do conservatives make this a comparison of a Marine vs. a black lesbian athlete? Why mention that she is black and lesbian except to cast aspersions on those categories?
Bingo.

My two cents: I'm always mixed on these issues. On one hand, you should be well aware that going into countries like Russia is dicey, especially given the current situation. So you should definitely be vigilant about not giving them a reason to detain you.

On the other hand, given the conditions of Russian prisons, I'm not happy about Americans being in them, especially for more minor stuff. Griner and Fogel, by virtue of having these prescribed to them medically, committed a more minor infraction in my eyes--they should have been cautious and vigilant, as I said, but the punishment far exceeds the crime for either of them. Whelan, on the other hand, had done bad stuff in the past, and may or may not have given the Russians a *lot* more cause to lock him up. Does this mean I want Whelan in there? Not necessarily, but his case is way different than Griner and Fogel's. If you can't figure out the difference between 'brought medically prescribed THC into a country that doesn't allow it' and 'possible espionage', then I really can't help you.

(For those wondering, I felt the same way about Trump getting U.S. basketball players released from a Chinese prison years ago--I didn't have a strong opinion on it one way or the other until he got mad at one of the player's fathers for not kowtowing to him, and said he should have left the player--who *was* grateful to Trump--rot.)

So this situation, I have a lot of thoughts that go back and forth.

Griner may not be a perfect person. I don't really have much opinion on her one way or the other. But she didn't take an oath to the U.S. Constitution, and then try and screw her fellow servicemembers over. Whelan did that, so I have a *lot* more ire for him than I do Griner. And even then, I don't necessarily want him in a Russian prison.

Old 12-10-2022, 02:25 PM

2,381 posts, read 999,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I agree with this, but I also think we should be trying to get any of our people out if possible. But honestly, not sure any of them are worth releasing the guy we did. I don’t like to judge human worth like that, it’s uncomfortable, but the psycho we allowed to go back to them, this probably will not fare well for anyone.

Lol, the psycho... and you know that how? You've personally met him? I wouldn't be shocked if our media is hyping him up to be some villain, by adding titles like "merchant of death".
You know who's the biggest weapons dealer on the global stage? The US.gov, arming insurgents and terrorists around the world and now 70% of weapons sent to Ukraine unaccounted for.

Old 12-10-2022, 02:26 PM

2,381 posts, read 999,866 times
Quote:
Must you? National media is more a reflection of national mood.

I say this with the knowledge gained by previously being a member of the national media. Yes, access and information can be gained by treading lightly as to the miscues of the folks in power. One could see that in the relationship between Hugh Sidey and LBJ or Fox News and Trump. However, the mainstream media depends too much on exclusive stories of government wrongdoing to be called a government mouthpiece.

No matter how often the conservatives claim it.
https://swprs.org/the-propaganda-multiplier/

Old 12-10-2022, 02:29 PM

38,593 posts, read 22,463,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Hero decorated Marine who got a bad conduct discharge, busted down two paygrades in rank, committed larceny, and whom the Russians themselves insist is a spy.

And the righties are eating up what the Russians are serving.
If he had only been a transwomen and a deserted his unit while serving in a war zone...

Old 12-10-2022, 03:33 PM

30,683 posts, read 21,558,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
dunno....ask Russia

"Russia media roasts Biden for freeing a "black lesbian hooked on drugs"......
Maybe a meteor will fall on her.

Old 12-10-2022, 03:41 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,571,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Griner is one of ours. We don't leave people behind.

Why? She hates the US. Kneels for the Anthem and speaks out against the USA

Plus, taking drugs into Russia (which she admitted) makes her a CRIMINAL!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies