Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 08:30 PM

2,316 posts, read 958,451 times

Advertisements

Happening in school entrance exams and now the military, with it's already extremely low requirements.
McNamara's idiots all over again.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...oal-grows.html

Quote:
Under the program, the service can recruit and contract up to 7,500 prospective sailors this year who fall under what the military calls "Category IV" recruits, or high school diploma-holding applicants who score within the 10th and 30th percentile on the Armed Forces Qualification Test.

Over the summer, the Army -- which missed its recruiting goal by 15,000 soldiers -- attempted to drop high school diploma requirements completely, only to reverse the policy almost immediately after the move was made public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2022, 08:51 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
All you need is a pulse and a US birth certificate to be president, and that's supposed to be the most important job in the country. Hard to imagine how any American can have any standards at all when we are being led by a dementia case.

I love my country, but there is no denying that some Americans are as dumb as a box of rocks. And in this country, we expect everyone to do their part, so we make do with what we have at our disposal. We've always had problems, but we've always had enough problem solvers around to make it work. With our education system controlled by leftists and often outright Marxists though, I'm not sure if we can count on the highly educated or cognitively gifted to save us from ourselves, but Elon Musk is trying. Hopefully others will follow his example.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:46 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Not new to have mentally slow people in the Army. In Vietnam, we had to keep them alive and ourselves.

Old 12-09-2022, 09:52 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Not new to have mentally slow people in the Army. In Vietnam, we had to keep them alive and ourselves.

There was also a lot of drug abuse going on during that war. Stoned and stupid is not a winning combination for anyone on the field, including those around them who do not partake. 1 poor quality soldier absolutely takes away from the effectiveness of the entire unit and can put the entire unit at risk. That's likely why the military is so focused on drones and other advanced technology that will reduce the need for "boots on the ground".

Old 12-09-2022, 10:16 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Yup.
Only the draft enabled the mentally slow to survive. The Army still had enough smart draftees who knew how to keep them all alive in Vietnam.
I saw quite a few high school dropouts who were excellent sailors when I enlisted in the Navy. They were drafted, but the draft was rolling loaded dice back in the 60s. A poor kid from a poor family couldn't avoid the draft if he dropped out of school, but a kid with a wealthy and/or influential family could drop out and easily avoid the draft.

I saw a lot of both happen. I enlisted, so I was serving from only my free choice, but I could have avoided the draft very easily when I dropped out of college.

Our all-volunteer army was scoured of it's intelligence in the never-ending Middle East wars. Those who survived were so over-used that many of them became scrubbed out and used up.

Could they perform now, even if forced back by a draft? I don't think so. The spirit to volunteer ran very high after 9/11 and when everyone thought a war with Iraq was going to be short and quickly won.

But I also doubt the kids today are as dumb as they are thought to be. Learning ability is not chained to education and grades as folks tend to think.

How many of those who fought WWII held a high school diploma?

Old 12-09-2022, 11:33 PM

19,779 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Happening in school entrance exams and now the military, with it's already extremely low requirements.

[/font][/color]
This begs the question......how is it even possible to earn a diploma and then bomb the ASVAB?

Old 12-10-2022, 05:49 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
I don’t know. To be honest, infantry need to follow orders and cooperate with one another. Be dependable. Know how to work their assigned arms and practice with them. Do they need to be smart by academic standards? Not really. Plenty of smart folks who are not book smart. They can work their way up and be trained in different things that suit their talents either way.

But this does speak to our educational system. Glad we opted out of that mess.

Old 12-10-2022, 06:08 AM

10,453 posts, read 4,036,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post

[/font][/color]
It's nothing new. In the enlisted faction of the military (no offense to those who served or are still serving) they don't want thinkers. They want someone who can follow orders, have the stamina to keep up and have some specialized skill to make them useful. The ones that are actually smart are reserved for one of the military academies where they will go on to be officers and political stooges.

Old 12-10-2022, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
It's nothing new. In the enlisted faction of the military (no offense to those who served or are still serving) they don't want thinkers. They want someone who can follow orders, have the stamina to keep up and have some specialized skill to make them useful. The ones that are actually smart are reserved for one of the military academies where they will go on to be officers and political stooges.
Clearly it is something new because they had to lower the standards to the lowest tier so that the bottom of the barrel could be enlisted.
As an analogy, we've had morons and imbeciles in the military in the past but now we're letting idiots in.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...ensive-history

Old 12-10-2022, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post

They're not getting those. They're getting cannon fodder and people that are a danger to their unit. There's a reason that aptitude and intelligence tests exists for military enlistment.

Medic in the Green Time | McNamara’s Folly: Project 100,000

Altogether, 354,000 substandard men were drafted–many sent directly into combat. In time, sergeants and officers, even General Westmoreland, called Project 100,000 a disaster. The low IQ soldiers were incompetent in combat, putting themselves and their comrades in danger. Inevitably, their death toll was appallingly high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies