Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: IF the cost were the same as a flight, would you take a train instead for short haul distances?
Yes 128 74.42%
No 26 15.12%
Undecided 12 6.98%
I never leave my house/nursing home 6 3.49%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 08:26 AM

2,330 posts, read 962,697 times

Advertisements

There's a bias against train travel in the US, especially of the high speed variety, for certain reasons.
If they existed in the US, would you take the high speed trains for trips under 500 miles (if they operated as advertised, meaning like how they run in Asia and Europe) or would you still prefer to fly/drive?

For trips like Boston to DC, Atlanta to Miami, LA to LV/SD/SF, I would much prefer train than flying. No TSA to deal with, more cabin/seat/leg space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 08:27 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
if the price was reasonable? sure.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:33 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
There's no bias against train travel. You can't have a bias against something that only exists for practical use in a few areas. That's like the bus stigma bull, there is no "bus stigma" buses are just a lot easier than trains to drop to stupid headways and run all over the place taking hours to go a few miles. If buses ran frequently and quickly, people would use them. The average person doesn't give a rats backside about what kind of wheels are spinning between their seat and the ground. The overall point being, if you build a transportation system that gets people where they need to go, when they need to get there, they'll use it, it doesn't matter the technology used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
I would much prefer train than flying. No TSA to deal with,
The brightline idiots in Florida would beg to differ, they have the same tsa-style garbage as an airport. That stupid system can't go bankrupt soon enough.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:34 AM

5,946 posts, read 2,763,866 times
Bullet train from where to where?

The US is a huge country, with huge cities spread out over thousands of miles. We're not a small Euro country where most of our population is concentrated and thus easier to build bullet trains to connect dense population centers. Also, in America, once you get to a city, there's nothing really concentrated in that city center. Most of the activity is elsewhere. (LA union station for example).

There are few places where bullet trains make sense in the US. The Northeast Corridor for sure, and maybe some small spurs in a few other select areas. The problem with CAHSR is the time and the price of the ticket to get from LA to SF. Also, once you get to LA, you're going to have to get an Uber, to get anywhere else in the MASSIVE metro. LA should be focusing on local rain/commuter rail with train frequencies at 3-5 minutes. We waste so much money building multi billion dollar train systems, that are slow and come at 20 minute frequencies. Nobody wants to ride that.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:35 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Sure ! Especially if they had a car that would be able to transport my truck and trailer. I'd much rather spend 45 minutes being transported to our rural cottage in Northern MI, than 4 hours in the truck.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:36 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,967,178 times
There's no "bias," we're just rich enough to travel by air or our own personal cars.

Most countries in the world don't have that kind of luxury, therefore they have to pack together in public transportation like sardines and claim they "like it."

Old 12-12-2022, 08:37 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,605,988 times
Quote:
For trips like Boston to DC
https://www.amtrak.com/acela-train

Old 12-12-2022, 08:40 AM

1,421 posts, read 756,061 times
No, I would drive.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:40 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
If the trains travel to where I want to go, and if there's adequate local transportation on the other end, sure.

Quote:
There's a bias against train travel in the US, especially of the high speed variety, for certain reasons.
What reasons are those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
There's no "bias," we're just rich enough to travel by air or our own personal cars.
Have you priced Amtrak lately?

Quote:
Most countries in the world don't have that kind of luxury, therefore they have to pack together in public transportation like sardines and claim they "like it."
Have you been on a plane lately?

Old 12-12-2022, 08:42 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,764,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post

I don’t know that air travel has any more elbow room than a train.

I never fly. Too expensive, and never quite goes from where I am to where I want to go.

Trains don’t either, but if they’re cheaper than flying and little faster than driving, I’d take them when feasible.

America has always been hard to develop. First it was the vast distances, now it’s mostly NIMBYism and red tape. Lots of red tape, making things nearly impossible anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies