Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 07:36 AM

30,364 posts, read 23,832,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Before the industrial revolution, life expectancy in the western world was 35 years old. Just something to keep in mind before complaining too much about the advances in civilization which have been driven largely by technology. Progress is great, so long as we remember our history and understand the evil that men do, if we allow it.

Perhaps we have lost some of our old wisdom along with our old ways. If all this woke stuff represents modern day wisdom, than we have definitely regressed in that department. Blame the Marxists that have infiltrated the education system and turned it into a system of indoctrination.... Marxism was an accident of the past that continues to haunt us today.
Life expectancy was rising on its own before the IR. It was very gradual, which is much better than a huge boom, as we've seen happen. But, what made the IR even possible was the small pox vaccine. So, did we really need an IR to improve our life expectancy, or did we just need to eradicate small pox in the western world, which the vaccine did.

https://www.icis.com/chemicals-and-t...tion-to-occur/

There is a chart there to view while going through the article.

Quote:
Rising life expectancy enabled Industrial Revolution to occur

...But why did the Industrial Revolution suddenly develop around 1750? Why had it not occurred earlier, in Ancient Rome or Greece or Egypt, or in China, India or elsewhere?...

...SMALLPOX VACCINATION CHANGED THE WORLD

The red line highlights the key enabler of this amazing change – a vast and sudden increase in life expectancy...

...The great killer before 1750 was smallpox, with the French writer Voltaire estimating that across Europe “at this time 60% of the population caught smallpox and 20% of the population died of it. In London, “In certain districts the infant mortality rate reached 75% of all births whenever epidemics struck”

The development of smallpox vaccination, originally imported from Turkey from 1721, changed this disastrous situation. British physician Edward Jenner then developed a safe vaccination in 1798. He has since been credited with having saved more lives than almost anyone else.

Vaccination against smallpox was almost certainly the critical factor in enabling the Industrial Revolution to take place. It created a virtuous circle, which is still with us today...
Destroy smallpox, chill out on the factories and machines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2022, 07:37 AM

2,047 posts, read 865,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Before the industrial revolution, life expectancy in the western world was 35 years old. Just something to keep in mind before complaining too much about the advances in civilization which have been driven largely by technology. Progress is great, so long as we remember our history and understand the evil that men do, if we allow it.

Perhaps we have lost some of our old wisdom along with our old ways. If all this woke stuff represents modern day wisdom, than we have definitely regressed in that department. Blame the Marxists that have infiltrated the education system and turned it into a system of indoctrination.... Marxism was an accident of the past that continues to haunt us today.
That statistic is actually kind of a myth. If you take out infancy Or death during childbirth or from battles and wars, people could naturally live to be older than they do today. There was basically no cancer back then. No diabetes, no high blood pressure, none of it. All of those deadly diseases and chronic illnesses are created by modern lifestyles. If you made it past age 5 back in those days, you were pretty much good to go barring some major injury.

Old 12-17-2022, 07:42 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,089,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
That statistic is actually kind of a myth. If you take out infancy Or death during childbirth or from battles and wars, people could naturally live to be older than they do today. There was basically no cancer back then. No diabetes, no high blood pressure, none of it. All of those deadly diseases and chronic illnesses are created by modern lifestyles. If you made it past age 5 back in those days, you were pretty much good to go barring some major injury.
Real question --- was there no cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure or no diagnosis of those diseases because medicine wasn't there yet.

Old 12-17-2022, 07:54 AM

30,364 posts, read 23,832,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootDiabetic View Post
Strep throat is also transmissible from contaminated surfaces. If you come in contact with a surface that has been exposed, you can get it if you touch your mouth, nose, or eyes without washing your hands.

Strep throat is a painful infection in the throat caused by streptococcal bacteria. This type of bacteria is extremely contagious and can be spread by coughing, sneezing, or sharing food and drinks. If your child touches a surface with the bacteria, like a doorknob, and then touches their mouth or nose, the bacteria may also spread this way. Often, a person may be carrying strep without exhibiting any symptoms.

“Thousands of people are coming into the store and touching the pin-pads and there is nothing to clean them with,” said the pharmacist, who did not want to be identified for fear of losing her job.https://nypost.com/2020/03/21/corona...f-protections/

"Enter Your Rewards Number"

Yuck ! Yuck ! Yuck ! And quadruple Yuck !

Rewards may include:
  • Throat pain that usually comes on quickly.
  • Painful swallowing.
  • Red and swollen tonsils, sometimes with white patches or streaks of pus.
  • Tiny red spots on the area at the back of the roof of the mouth (soft or hard palate)
  • Swollen, tender lymph nodes in your neck.
  • Fever.
  • Headache.
  • Rash.
I always ask the cashier to do it. I'm just like sorry, I saw that dude in front of me pick his nose then hit the buttons so no thanks I am not touching that thing. Maybe Walgreens corporation wants to spread germs considering they sell all kinds of cold and flu stuff.

Cash money has so many fewer interactions then that yucky nose wiper picker finger keypad touched by 100s of people a day.
And so many people did, and still do, look at me like I'm weird, for using my sleeve to use pin pads, open doors, pump the gas, push shopping carts, etc. Or! On this site, tell me I'm "wrong" for doing that because it's "preventing my immune system from becoming stronger and protecting me", to this day.

I even carry my own pen because I don't want to touch the pen that has been manhandled by many before me. I still have sanitizer because I do a lot of shops, and I have to touch products. I get done, load the car, sanitize my hands in the car, let it air dry, and then I start the delivery. I haven't been sick in I don't even remember the last time I was sick.

I didn't get Covid, didn't get a cold, flu, viral pnuemonia, no strep, no measles, etc this whole time (didn't wear a mask, didn't get shots, no flu shots ever), I just don't touch things in public with my bare hands aside from grocery items, and I sanitize after. I've been doing this for many years.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 12-17-2022 at 08:02 AM..

Old 12-17-2022, 07:56 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,901,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Real question --- was there no cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure or no diagnosis of those diseases because medicine wasn't there yet.
I’ve read an article about how it was noted that breast cancer rates for Middle Ages nuns were higher than breast cancer rates for married women who had given birth during that time so there was an awareness of the condition even if there were no good treatments then. Type 1 diabetes was definitely there- doesn't take much to find the awful stories of the early deaths of kids with Type 1 before commercial insulin was developed.

I suspect that pneumonia, influenza, or other illnesses that are easily treated with antibiotics or such now took out a lot of the frail elderly back then before they could develop the kinds of cancer or dementia that often hit the above age 65 population.

Antibiotics also totally cure leprosy, which was one of the big boogeyman diseases back then.

Old 12-17-2022, 08:37 AM

4,568 posts, read 4,115,439 times
This is fairly easy to handle.

1 Sore throat develops.

2. Suck it up, get a rapid strep and culture.

3. Isolate until both results obtained and proof negative (48 hours).

Strep has no known resistance to penicillins or cephalosporins. Easy to treat.

I would be willing to bet that many of the deaths in the OP were because people did not seek any medical attention, cant afford time off, work is punitive, kinda like how the railroads treat their workers.

I’ve been in medicine for 15 years and a PCP for 11 of them. If I had a dime for every person asking for an antibiotic because “I cant afford time off work”. I could retire.

Old 12-17-2022, 08:53 AM

26,007 posts, read 18,984,305 times
So the tyrannists are working overtime. They have seen John Q Public has finally wizened up and "discovered" the fact that cloth masks do ZIP at filtering viruses and that continuing to lie about mask effectiveness is... well, becoming more and more ineffective. So the tyrannists went back to the drawing board. This time they decided to release a bacteria from their lab, with the notion that since bacterium are typically far, far larger than viruses, and masks can actually be effective in blocking them (for reals!!!), the public will be willing to muzzle up again and bow down before Big Papa Pharm and kiss his butt. Maybe even take some more artery-blocking serum.

Well, you can FORGET it.

Old 12-17-2022, 11:32 AM

10,260 posts, read 6,354,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
This is fairly easy to handle.

1 Sore throat develops.

2. Suck it up, get a rapid strep and culture.

3. Isolate until both results obtained and proof negative (48 hours).

Strep has no known resistance to penicillins or cephalosporins. Easy to treat.

I would be willing to bet that many of the deaths in the OP were because people did not seek any medical attention, cant afford time off, work is punitive, kinda like how the railroads treat their workers.

I’ve been in medicine for 15 years and a PCP for 11 of them. If I had a dime for every person asking for an antibiotic because “I cant afford time off work”. I could retire.
Our friend's (68) doctor told him that antibiotics don't work on this strep strain. Isolate and ride it out until you feel better. Three days later he was out snow blowing his driveway.

Antibiotics for strep when given too much became ineffective. Happened with my daughter 25 years ago having strep over and over, and also with me over 60 years ago. My strep went into Scarlet Fever despite taking penicillin

Old 12-17-2022, 12:15 PM

11,891 posts, read 5,865,768 times
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...accine-2022-12

Strep A runs in cycles and the last one was 2017 - 2018. Lockdowns made people more susceptible as they didn't get the chance to build up antibodies. Also you have massive inflation and many families in the UK are having problems paying for food and heat this winter - both of which are contributors.

Old 12-18-2022, 08:57 AM

2,047 posts, read 865,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There’s places on this earth where they still eat basically like they did hundreds of years ago just naturally off of the local foods found nothing processed in these diseases do not exist. The foods we eat today are absolutely killing you. No question about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies