Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 07:10 AM

30,253 posts, read 11,879,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, that might be, that you have been away for a while, the price shock in any purchase of anything. Like the difference in a case of 7.62 at the turn of the century and now.

When it comes to restaurant food, one should figure it will cost them at least 3X what it would cost them at home. At least 3X. Even with McD's....or especially with McDs. Way back in the late Cold War, I got the job as an enlisted financial counselor, teaching those young lads and lasses how to get thru their paycheck each month. Figuring it was $10/day at McD's, they'd be thru their food allotment in a 3rd of the time.

"Today" sounds a lot more than then but then again, then was over 30 years ago. Regardless what I think of its quantity, have not eaten at a McD's since Bush the 1st reigned, one must remember that it is processed food..................and processes cost money.
I make most of my own meals. If I am overnight on the road or leaving very early in the morning I will eat out and sometimes McDonalds. My step daughter on Sunday night makes all her meals for the week. Puts them into reusable to go containers and into the fridge. Saves money and time. No need to cook every day.

Food costs are usually about 30% for restaurants. So that $10 item cost them $3 in food costs. They are buying the ingredients cheaper than you can so what they pay $3 for might cost you $5 or more. And with the McDonalds app its almost half price if you do it right. So that $10 meal might be $6 for me. I have done the math before. With the right app deal its about the same cost as making it at home.

Old 12-18-2022, 07:11 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,412,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I agree. McDonalds wants people to use the app. Saves on payroll. I do think when they get to whatever target number of app users. 50% or 80% then the specials won't be as good. Do the math. If say using the app cuts 2 minutes off ordering time with an employee and the employee makes $12 an hour that is 40 cents per order. I save easily $2 or more using the app.

I guess different parts of the country have different app specials. But you can combine the 1-2-3 specials with the app specials. I can get 2 mcChicken sandwiches for $2.50 on Friday and the med fries are free. Or on Monday they have Big Macs for $2.00 now.

The difference I see with the McDonalds app compared to other fast food is that the deals are updated daily. Burger King the app specials are like a coupon that changes maybe monthly.

Sonic has a Thursday special that is really low priced. If you use the app, happy hour is all day long.
You also get free food if your local pro team wins around here. But yeah it can vary widely. I just can't look myself in the mirror if I spend more than $5 a person. You never had to value shop the menu with as much scrutiny back in the day. I seem ti remember pretty much any value meal was $2.99 regardless. There was no dollar menu. Two double cheeseburgers for $3 is our best special. It isn't on the sign anymore but still the same price. For spending that you can get a large fries and you are in business for $3. Often they offer a McChicken for $1 when you order. Which is worth it if you are on a date and want to splurge a little to treat her right.

Pro tip: give the entire McChicken to your date don't offer an awkward split.

Old 12-18-2022, 07:12 AM

27,304 posts, read 13,563,057 times
The cheapest place to order Breakfast, is Ikea.

They currently have a £2.60 ($3.16 USD) fried Breakfast, although they sometimes have special offers from as little as £1 ($1.21 USD).

Old 12-18-2022, 07:14 AM

30,492 posts, read 21,375,578 times
Just like Walmart bart uses them stupid auto check out's and then bust peeps for stealing when they made a mistake jake. I know someone that sued them and got 185k smackers. Maybe i better start shopping there so i can sue.

Old 12-18-2022, 07:23 AM

12,410 posts, read 8,197,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

The difference I see with the McDonalds app compared to other fast food is that the deals are updated daily. Burger King the app specials are like a coupon that changes maybe monthly.
Since I deliver those ads weekly over the past few months I have watched the main deal that I use go from $12.99 to now $17.99 in one dollar increments every about three weeks. Along with a closer to the distribution date expiration dates as they are anticipating further inflation and the probable need to move up the price to protect their franchise owners.

As an old school guy with the cheapest phone I can't see myself adding another app for every establishment I visit. Both out of fear of all the permissions they ask for and turning my phone into a brick because of all the space being taken up by merchants. But on the topic it is just inflation that is making fast food prices looking like diner prices, and now ATM's want to give $50's when for most of my life merchants would not take anything over a $20 out of fear of getting stuck with counterfeit ad at that price point armed robbers were more likely to strike to get the change cash.

Old 12-18-2022, 07:24 AM

37,282 posts, read 19,273,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I don’t think there was any poison in anything I ate… An English muffin, an egg, a slice of ham, fried potato, and black coffee…
Cooked from scratch at home, you may be right. What you don't see is all of the preservatives and stabilizers and emulsifiers that are added to processed foods to extend their shelf life. Think of it as embalming.

Old 12-18-2022, 07:27 AM

37,282 posts, read 19,273,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Starbucks is worse.

Just a regular drip coffee is about $2.50 now. That's all I order when I go to Starbucks (which is very rare after they decided to open the bathrooms to the homeless to do drugs in them), I don't get the overpriced fructose n' cream drinks.

Also, minimum wage jumping to $16.30/hour here on January 1st.
I can make four cups of perked coffee for fifty cents.

Old 12-18-2022, 07:28 AM

43,315 posts, read 18,428,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
An egg McMuffin, two hash browns and a medium coffee…
What the heck is going on over there?
What is even the point of getting mcds anymore? Used to be that it was fast and cheap.
For $12, I can stop at a local diner and get a REAL breakfast.
Is this the result of that $15/hr stuff?
Also noticed there is no one manning the counter anymore. Orders are all done either through a phone app or at the ordering kiosk thing. They’ve literally eliminated the cashiers.
I stopped going to chains early in 2022 when their prices skyrocketed.
I started going to local places ...mom and pop, single stores.

Prices are still reasonable. I go out to breakfast and pay bout $8.

FF used to be the cheaper alternative to sit down dining but not anymore.
I can only assume it might be the $15/hour because the FF places get lower cost food since it's bought in bulk.

I pay $2.50 for coffee and I get a carafe left at the table.

Old 12-18-2022, 07:28 AM

30,492 posts, read 21,375,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I can make four cups of perked coffee for fifty cents.
I will take my tasters choice.

Old 12-18-2022, 07:32 AM

17,374 posts, read 15,524,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Cooked from scratch at home, you may be right. What you don't see is all of the preservatives and stabilizers and emulsifiers that are added to processed foods to extend their shelf life. Think of it as embalming.
Are they injecting preservatives through the egg shells?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.