Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 08:24 PM

50,396 posts, read 47,131,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The surprising thing about homeless people is they seem to get no help from their own family and relatives.

I know all of my nearest relatives, even some distant cousins. Some of them live in less than ideal conditions, but not a single one of them is homeless. If they were, then I would certainly try to do something about that.
People I know that ended up homeless were all addicts. At some point their families have said enough is enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 08:35 PM

831 posts, read 333,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Actually, this is completely wrong. Homelessness, especially in terms of the highly visible street people who inflict themselves on society, is a product of addiction and mental illness. Sane, sober people find a way to keep some sort of roof over there head. If you see a person who looks homeless, it's either because they're completely dysfunctional and can't do anything but "house" themselves in public, or they want to be exposed to the public to beg for money to support their drug habit. You could build all the affordable housing your could want, it would not get them off the street.

There are people who are underhoused. But these you don't see. They could benefit from affordable housing. But they could get it by just moving to someplace with cheaper housing. Most of the complaints about affordable housing come from cities where there are a lot of higher end jobs, leading to a lot of well paid people who can compete on price for housing. If someone is in one of these places (NYC, Boston, LA, SF, Seattle, etc.) and they can't make enough money to compete for housing. They need to move somewhere they can.
Not hardly. Me and my wife and kids are essentially homeless, we don't do drugs,aren't mentally ill, wife works, I work on the side and am disabled. We can't AFFORD the housing here, small town Georgia pretty rural county mostly agricultural, this huge company is building 300 new apartments I wrote them ASSUMING they would either have sane prices for rent OR rent based on income. For a 3/2 they want 1,750$ a MONTH! Yeah good luck with that, the only other 2 places for rent here have been sitting for MONTHS almost a year, one is 1150$ another is 1500$. They claim they are basing it on market rate, clearly not the market rate for HERE. We want housing we just can't freaking afford it. We do EVERYTHING possible to cut costs but rent is outrageously high EVERYWHERE.

Old 12-29-2022, 09:26 PM

6,052 posts, read 3,766,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedRedneck View Post
Not hardly. Me and my wife and kids are essentially homeless, we don't do drugs,aren't mentally ill, wife works, I work on the side and am disabled. We can't AFFORD the housing here, small town Georgia pretty rural county mostly agricultural, this huge company is building 300 new apartments I wrote them ASSUMING they would either have sane prices for rent OR rent based on income. For a 3/2 they want 1,750$ a MONTH! Yeah good luck with that, the only other 2 places for rent here have been sitting for MONTHS almost a year, one is 1150$ another is 1500$. They claim they are basing it on market rate, clearly not the market rate for HERE. We want housing we just can't freaking afford it. We do EVERYTHING possible to cut costs but rent is outrageously high EVERYWHERE.
What do the various social services agencies tell you? Will they provide food stamps? Housing vouchers? Medical care? Pay your utilities? Clothing allowance? Other things?

For some reason, I think that we often hear only half of the story. I'd like to hear the WHOLE STORY.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:44 AM

24,683 posts, read 9,499,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The surprising thing about homeless people is they seem to get no help from their own family and relatives.
Brave of you to assume everyone has family or relatives in a position to help, or who haven't attempted to help already. After 18, there is no legal obligation.

When I graduated from high school, I had a choice: college or military. There was not going to be any adult child living in the house. My folks had "did their part" and it was time for me to grow up and chose my own path.

Old 12-30-2022, 06:52 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,278,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Face facts. While a small % of homeless are where they are because of simple bad luck, most homeless are where they are because of there own choices, usually bad ones, but still their choices. It has nothing to do with high rents or low wages or overpopulation or or or. In most medium to large cities, there are normally more empty beds in shelters than there are people "sleeping rough". But shelters have some basic rules that many homeless folks are not willing to respect.

The moral of the story is that homelessness is not a problem for a majority of homeless people. For God's sake, just leave them alone.
Would like to study to see home much homeless are that way by choice. I would doubt that the ones that want to be that way are as high as you say. How do you expect people who have drug problems and mental issues to follow basic rules. They really can't that is why there should be an alternative for them. The moral of the story is homelessness is not a problem for you because you see most of them as there by their own fault which means you don't have to care or want to do anything to help them.

Old 12-30-2022, 09:16 AM

27,627 posts, read 28,723,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Brave of you to assume everyone has family or relatives in a position to help, or who haven't attempted to help already. After 18, there is no legal obligation.

When I graduated from high school, I had a choice: college or military. There was not going to be any adult child living in the house. My folks had "did their part" and it was time for me to grow up and chose my own path.
I can't imagine a parent can watch their 18-year-old son or daughter become homeless and do nothing about it. I guess I didn't grow up with values like that.

I think it's right to support your children for as long as they need until they become independent.

Old 12-30-2022, 09:58 AM

7,032 posts, read 4,910,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
People I know that ended up homeless were all addicts. At some point their families have said enough is enough.

Well, now you one who wasn't. Me. I never did drugs and I've very seldom had a drink and never been drunk. While I was homeless I worked full time and attended community college at the same time.

I was homeless because I was priced out of the rental market. Everyone says move to where things are more affordable. I did that and 20 years later I'm priced out of this market as well. The rents here for the same apartment are now $1000 to $1500 a month more than they were in 2001. Has your salary gone up by $1000 a month in 22 years? Mine sure didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies