Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 03:48 PM

17,329 posts, read 12,283,884 times

Advertisements

Even the very conservative Heritage Foundation acknowledges that much of Western Europe has more economic freedom than us.
https://www.heritage.org/index/ranking

Boomer generation benefited from a lot of government investment in infrastructure that was not paid forward. Adopting Reaganomics instead.

Old 12-30-2022, 03:59 PM

32,818 posts, read 19,511,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
LOL at the victimhood mentality here. I’m also in my late 30s, have a Master’s degree, don’t have student loans anymore, and I own a home in a high COL area.

Not sure why you think that the rest of us should pay of your student loans so that “you can invest in your house and retirement.” Maybe your priorities are a bit out of whack? If you’re not funding your retirement, then maybe you should cut back in other areas. Best to not rely on a government program like Social Security.

But anyway, yup, you’re like most of my Democrat friends — a gloomy outlook on life, victimhood mentality, and the bad things in your life happened because of other people and never because of choices you made. I hope things start looking up soon, as owning a home, having a Master’s degree and good job sounds absolutely awful.
yep...

my son (28) and a school mate (F29) both went to "early college high school"... both got a HS diploma and a associates degree.... he went off to a 4 year university, got a double bachelors, then went to another college and just finished his doctorate (on the schools' dime with a stipend) .... the schoolmate, she went to another 4yr university (on PELL), changed majors like 4 times, failed a bunch of classes, got kicked off of Pell, had to get loans, has like 40k in loans, and at 29 still has NO degree higher than the original associates.... all she does is complain (she is a big time Bernie supporter)... yet her problems are HER OWN FAULT

Old 12-30-2022, 04:03 PM

32,818 posts, read 19,511,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noellestar View Post
This is rich. Incredibly out of touch.

I just turned 39. I've (legally) worked since the day I turned 16. I went to undergrad and have a degree, and have managed to additionally build my skills through years of work experience. I've worked my way up to a pretty good spot in my 30s. I've never needed or wanted government help, and the number of stimulus checks we’ve received over the years went straight into my savings account. My savings account is solely for emergencies and/or a down payment on a house, which I will probably never be able to afford... and I make nearly 6 figures. The caveat is that I'm single and intend to stay that way, which provides no benefit or safety net. And before this reply comes back... I do not spend all my money on recreational activities, restaurant meals, or starbucks & avocado toast. I also have a damn near perfect credit score.

The majority of my similar-aged friends are in the same boat, if not worse off. However, it’s not for lack of trying. We are all hard workers and do not feel the entitlement y’all paint our entire generation with.

What's all this about an easy life?
if you make six figures...you can afford a house... a nice house...maybe not in the middle of a city like Austen, but there are plenty of homes within your price range within Texas, or even up here in NY

Old 12-30-2022, 04:12 PM

17,329 posts, read 12,283,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and the reason rent is high, houses are high, colleges are expensive is liberal policies... the liberals have done everything they can to destroy the middleclass
Agreed in that they stopped being working class heroes and nearly abandoned supporting middle class union folk and joined the Republicans further to the right. Certainly not that they’ve gone left.

We need to get corporate big money out of politics. There is no real left opposition here.

Republicans are pretending like it wasn’t their party pushing free market idealism for decades that resulted in our shipping so many jobs and industries to China, Canada, and Mexico. Like companies like GM weren’t warning us for decades that not having universal healthcare is hurting domestic companies’ competitiveness. It’s not a good look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies