Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 03:18 PM

3,152 posts, read 1,801,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Suppose the temperature was to raise 2 degrees, what would actually happen? Do scientists even know?
Parts of Canada might become livable? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 03:18 PM

18,537 posts, read 9,232,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I heard or read somewhere, that we'd have to cut our carbon footprint by 80% for 20 yrs to have any impact on our climate.

An 80% reduction would mean; no car, no HVAC, no major appliances, no air travel.

Who is ready to sign up for that?
Here in New York State we are fighting climate change by banning plastic shopping bags. I can buy as much plastic as I want, I just can’t put it in a plastic shopping bag.

Old 12-30-2022, 03:29 PM

13,145 posts, read 9,717,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Wow, I had not heard/read of that. That's amazing-ly stupid!

That line of thinking brings me back to today's crazy propositions of injecting sulfur dioxide capsules in the upper atmosphere and the latest news is that a start-up has done just that, from Mexico.
Here's one reference to the Soviets wanting to do just that: https://www.rbth.com/politics_and_so...-arctic_576499

Old 12-30-2022, 03:49 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,594,366 times
Quote:
Do liberals actually think Democrats will solve Climate Change? I ask this because CC seems pretty high up in Democrat voters' concerns. Some will tell us that we have less than a decade left on Earth.

And if people think the Democrats have the answers, what do they think the solution is to a climate that is changing?

Also, assuming the solution works, what global mean temperature should we aim for? Is there a number that we can peg success to?

And at what cost are we willing spend, to get to that magic number and at what cost are willing to sacrifice to stabilize the climate at that temperature forever and ever?
As usual, the Dems are the least worse, too little too late, and if you actually wanted to know the answers to these questions the information is easily accessible on the internet. That said, this will be a start: https://time.com/5418577/what-humani...limate-change/

Regarding your comment about timeframe, we are already -- have been experiencing the effects. Super storms, droughts, loss of groundwater, dying coral reefs, loss of arable land, bad water, air, and soil. We are over-populated at nearly twice the earth's capacity to restore itself. Our food chain is contaminated.

Old 12-30-2022, 03:51 PM

20,323 posts, read 21,116,243 times
The majority of liberals lack critical thinking skills, so that oughta answer the question to this thread.

Old 12-30-2022, 03:58 PM

6,456 posts, read 2,782,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Here in New York State we are fighting climate change by banning plastic shopping bags. I can buy as much plastic as I want, I just can’t put it in a plastic shopping bag.

Well in California they didn't "ban" Plastic Bags. They just charge you $0.10 per bag and call them reusable.

Of course if I want a paper bag I get charged the same $0.10...

If I want a Straw I need to ask for one because they apparently need to be treated like some biohazard that restaurants are forced to keep behind lock and key because I *gasp* may take 2 straws and destroy the environment.

Old 12-30-2022, 04:11 PM

6,030 posts, read 2,828,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Well in California they didn't "ban" Plastic Bags. They just charge you $0.10 per bag and call them reusable.

Of course if I want a paper bag I get charged the same $0.10...

If I want a Straw I need to ask for one because they apparently need to be treated like some biohazard that restaurants are forced to keep behind lock and key because I *gasp* may take 2 straws and destroy the environment.
And why did this happen...because the grocery store workers' union approved it! They make money off the 10 cent plastic bag charge.

It does NOTHING to SAVE the PLANET, lol.

As a CA consumer: I get thicker more durable plastic bags to bag the same amount of groceries that ends up in the same landfill ( in Arizona, LOL ) .

Old 12-30-2022, 06:08 PM

19,772 posts, read 10,219,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
There seems to be a lot of confusion here. If you want a better understanding of climate change, here is a 13-minute video explaining it in detail. It brings up some of the issues people write about here. Like, it was warmer in the past and climate change has always occurred. Yes. You guys are correct. But it is occurring faster than it ever has in the past due to human activity. The hyperbole of, "Well, the demoncrats want to bring us back to the stone age" is silly and not helpful. Anyway, if any of you are interested, here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PFhrpyWV-w
The Little Ice Age ended in 1850, so of course the planet has warmed since then.

Old 12-30-2022, 06:40 PM

16,229 posts, read 10,906,846 times
Quote:
Do liberals actually think Democrats will solve Climate Change?

You don't "solve" climate change. You recognize it and address it. So far, Republicans are incapable of doing either.

Old 12-30-2022, 06:46 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,107,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post

Why can't you actually defer on this issue to the people who have spent their lives studying the climate ?

These endlessly skeptical anti-science threads makes me embarrassed for my fellow Americans.
As someone that has been on THE OTHER SIDE...dealing with SCIENCE DENIERS from the environmental community I need to remind people that SCIENCE is not a vote.

Remember that Copernicus and Galileo were SCIENCE DENIERS in their day.

When I went through school I had a very good professor tell me...."focus on the argument, not the person. The issue is the science, not the personalities".

I and ALL of my science based professional friends are NOT science deniers.

It is hard to deal with liberal arts graduates without ANY SCIENCE CLASSES talk about us being science deniers. The truth will eventually come out, but by then the liberal crowd will move on to other "truths".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies