Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 05:09 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,607,744 times

Advertisements

fact check: true.

go, Ron, go.

now get rid of equally useless women's studies, gender studies, etc.

DeSantis Blocks AP African-American Studies Course for Breaking Florida’s Anti-CRT Law
Quote:
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has rejected a College Board request to approve an African-American Studies course in his state on the grounds that the course violates state law, according to a report. The Advanced Placement (AP) program, of which a pilot has been launched, was reportedly rejected by DeSantis’ administration in a letter to the College Board from the Florida Department of Education’s Office of Articulation. The rejection letter dated Jan. 12 said “as presented, the content of this course is inexplicably contrary to Florida law and significantly lacks educational value,” according to National Review.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:14 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,792,050 times
Does choice mean anything these days?

Or is it just something to toss into the trash.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:19 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,607,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post

Or is it just something to toss into the trash.
sure. you can choose to study useless stuff like AAS, or you can choose to go to Florida for a quality education.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:20 PM

6,082 posts, read 2,866,948 times
Quote:
That went out the window when President Biden forced everyone to take the Covid-19 vaccine in order to keep their job...

Old 01-18-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
sure. you can choose to study useless stuff like AAS, or you can choose to go to Florida for a quality education.
Hey I'm not saying that for most people AAS wouldn't be useless. I'm just saying a Government outlawing a college course seems to be close to fascism.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
That went out the window when President Biden forced everyone to take the Covid-19 vaccine in order to keep their job...
Look I get what you're saying. Liberals don't believe in Freedom. Right? So why in the why in God's name would DeSantis a Conservative do the same thing. In other words taking away a Freedom or Choice.

I'm starting to think that DeSantis wants to run in the 2024 Election and lose. Surely he can't be this Stupid.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:29 PM

13,025 posts, read 9,548,978 times
Quote:
Hey I'm not saying that for most people AAS wouldn't be useless. I'm just saying a Government outlawing a college course seems to be close to fascism.
Presumably he's not approving it because it would use state funds for a useless course. How would such a course prepare a person for the job market? Perhaps a private university could have the course if they paid for it.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:32 PM

25,978 posts, read 22,164,069 times
It probably has as much value as EuroAmerican studies would have. I have ancestors who came in from several European countries, and I think anyone with an interest in such history has plenty of ways with the popularity of genealogy, and the internet to self-study.

https://washingtonpress.com/2023/01/...es-ap-courses/

“In the future, should College Board be willing to come back to the table with lawful, historically accurate content, FDOE will always be willing to reopen the discussion.”

"College Board kept the curriculum, and the names of the nearly five dozen schools the course is being tested in a secret."

What about keeping it a "secret"? Doesn't that say it all?

Those that want to talk about choice? We are talking about public schools, and most people don't want their kids learning curriculum that is kept secret for one thing. As poorly as American children do on testing, I think sticking to the basics is important, and indoctrination in any form has no place in the school systems.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Presumably he's not approving it because it would use state funds for a useless course. How would such a course prepare a person for the job market? Perhaps a private university could have the course if they paid for it.
So that means that anyone who wants to take the AAS course is going to suffer. Going by your logic maybe College better be outlawed since it's useless to many people. Like where is the Freedom in this.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:34 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,969,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Are you saying the history of African Americans is useless information? What about the history of the Spanish conquistadors in Florida? Don't teach that either? Maybe don't teach about white settlers in Florida either.

Let's hear it for dropping all history classes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies