Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2023, 07:29 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,885,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2000 View Post
Outside of one town I lived in every city I've seen seems to have generally one thing in common - the hotels are almost always staffed by women or non whites outside of management positions, and even then that's starting to change. (I for context have a somewhat decent background in front desk work myself)

While it's one thing to try and get more minorities etc in leadership and earning money, I don't see why America has basically taken the easiest route of just blocking off 90% of the hotel industry to them rather than encouraging participation in not only STEM but also finance and other white collar work. ESPECIALLY considering that so many disabled people, especially disabled white men, have seen hotel work as something that's within their reach. I can't be the only one who's tired of people essentially telling the average non Ivy League type white man to 'go work in the factories, chud' or something along those lines. ESPECIALLY when there are plenty of other industries that could offer similar experience.
But one rarely sees Asians in this mix because it doesn't pay enough and they have a high education level.

Too many are brainwashed into going to college.

1953 98% of men aged 25-54 were in the work force, now it's 89%
A strange perception that it isn't desirable to work in manufacturing. The avg manufacturing worker earns $31/hr. and conditions are good.

3 minutes in

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 09:49 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,446,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
They are entry level jobs for Americans, Americans that want to supplement their wages and college aged kids. Funny, before the flood of illegal aliens into our country willing to work cheaper I saw mostly Whites working those jobs. Coincidence?
!
Maybe 30 years ago. I frequently stay in hotels and housekeepers have been mostly Hispanic for a long time. Of course, in some parts of the country that probably isn't the case.

Those workers you may have seen decades ago, are a lot older now...some wouldn't be alive even. A lot of them didn't' produce many working children.... A vacuum was formed, and vacuums get filled pretty quick, they have been replaced with hard working Hispanic maids now, and still in business.

Old 02-06-2023, 10:07 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,446,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
But one rarely sees Asians in this mix because it doesn't pay enough and they have a high education level.

Too many are brainwashed into going to college.

1953 98% of men aged 25-54 were in the work force, now it's 89%
A strange perception that it isn't desirable to work in manufacturing. The avg manufacturing worker earns $31/hr. and conditions are good.

3 minutes in

Informative video....the investigation makes it very clear how desperate companies are for workers, and how much money is sucked out of our economy because of the shortage. I would guess the work is getting done by competitors in other nations, and American businesses lose more ground.
I noticed when they were touring the floor of the workplace most of the employees were non-white, heck maybe even some were illegals. As short as employers already are, it would be much worse without the past 30 years of immigrants, illegal included...and the legal offspring they created.
Despite all this, many conservatives want to keep quotas very low, essentially forcing companies to either hire whoever is available/willing (Often illegals) or go out of business.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:27 PM

4,561 posts, read 3,763,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
They are entry level jobs for Americans, Americans that want to supplement their wages and college aged kids. Funny, before the flood of illegal aliens into our country willing to work cheaper I saw mostly Whites working those jobs. Coincidence?

We have far too many low paying jobs in this country anyway. We don't need a hotel, burger joint, etc. on every corner. Better to see them fold up than to import foreigners to work in them and the taxpayer has to subsidize their living costs along with putting added stress on our schools, healthcare facilities, roads, neighborhoods and our social and natural resources. We should only be allowing in skilled and educated foreigners we actually need for "necessary" jobs where there is a shortage of workers.

You have a reading comprehension problem. I didn't say that I automatically assume when I see a Hispanic working as a hotel maid that I assume they are all here illegally. What I said is that a good many of them are and that's just a fact!

Nope, I definitely do not. I am not commenting specifically only for your comments on this thread. You have a recurrent theme of labeling many in our country as "non-American" when in fact, they are. You even went far as saying someone born in the US, but their parents are immigrants, are not American enough. Your recurrent themes are obvious throughout all the forum threads and they are always directed at immigrants. You only comment on immigrant threads.

If you came across a non-white employee at a motel/hotel in America, I bet you assume they are illegal.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:44 PM

63,003 posts, read 29,187,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Nope, I definitely do not. I am not commenting specifically only for your comments on this thread. You have a recurrent theme of labeling many in our country as "non-American" when in fact, they are. You even went far as saying someone born in the US, but their parents are immigrants, are not American enough. Your recurrent themes are obvious throughout all the forum threads and they are always directed at immigrants. You only comment on immigrant threads.

If you came across a non-white employee at a motel/hotel in America, I bet you assume they are illegal.
Huh? When and where did I label many in our country as non-Americans? It's mainly among Hispanics who are not. Millions of them are here illegally but certainly not all of them! Making stuff up as you go along? Nope, if a legal immigrant gives birth on our soil their kid is an American. However, according to the wording in the Constitution the offspring of illegal aliens are not.

Wrong, I comment on many threads. Try to keep up will you? By the way, illegal aliens aren't plain ole immigrants. Learn to know the difference! I have no problem with legal immigrants. Don't like my posts then feel free to ignore me but don't make up crap about me!

Yep, there's that reading comprehension problem again. Point out the post where I said that if I see a non-white (Hispanic) as a hotel maid that I automatically assume they are here illegally. I'll wait.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:18 PM

1,665 posts, read 977,083 times
At least they're working.

Old 02-08-2023, 06:11 AM

63,003 posts, read 29,187,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
At least they're working.
And what's that supposed to mean? If here illegally they have no right to work here.

Old 02-08-2023, 07:15 AM

73,061 posts, read 62,670,561 times
It varies. I stayed at an extended stay hotel for a month. Most of the housekeeping staff was Black. Most of the hotel staff, all the way to the manager, consisted of Black females. There was one Hispanic person there. She was American born, American raised.

I notice that at many Indian-owned hotels or hotels managed by non-Black individuals, they are often staffed with Hispanic housekeeping staff.

In my limited experience with hotels, I'm more likely to see majority-Hispanic housekeeping staff at the nicer hotels than Black housekeeping staff. It varies though.

Old 02-08-2023, 07:33 AM

73,061 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Welfare pays more than these low skill, low pay jobs and that is why illegals are doing them.
I'm college educated and and skilled. I would never work such jobs. My line of work pays better than that. I went to school so that I could get a degree and get skilled, decent paying work. My father is college educate. He was born a working class family. He got a degree so that he could get a skilled, white collar professional job. I was taught by him "get your degree so that you don't have to do work like that".

Old 02-08-2023, 09:29 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,966,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post

Yes. I agree. I have noticed the same pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies