Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I consider Spaniards to be ...
Latinos 37 35.24%
not Latinos 68 64.76%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:09 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
I'm confuesed. If you are Spanish, and come from New Mwxico, what do they call people that come from Spain?
If you are Spanish, you come from Spain, no matter where you live. The people in New Mexico are not Spanish---they SPEAK Spanish. You do not come from England, but you speak English. People in West Africa are not French, they speak French.

A person in New Mexico who speaks Spanish probably has no more Spain-Spanish ancestry than a typical African American has White ancestry. Many have some, but few have much. They are mostly descended from American Indians.

You will become less confused if you try to keep several things in mind:
1. Spanish is a language.
2. Spain is a country in Europe where the people look a lot like they look in France. Think Brigitte Bardot.
3. Mexicans are Latinos, and so are Panamanians, Peruvians, Costa Ricans and Brazilians. That are called Latinos because they come from Latin America. Before they come to the USA, they do not call themselves Latinos.
4. Most Mexicans are Native Americans who speak Spanish.
5. "They are all different countries down there" --- Ronald Reagan (newly enlightened, when arriving home after his first state visit to Latin America.)

Old 11-08-2009, 07:34 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,464,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you are Spanish, you come from Spain, no matter where you live. The people in New Mexico are not Spanish---they SPEAK Spanish. You do not come from England, but you speak English. People in West Africa are not French, they speak French.

A person in New Mexico who speaks Spanish probably has no more Spain-Spanish ancestry than a typical African American has White ancestry. Many have some, but few have much. They are mostly descended from American Indians.

You will become less confused if you try to keep several things in mind:
1. Spanish is a language.
2. Spain is a country in Europe where the people look a lot like they look in France. Think Brigitte Bardot.
3. Mexicans are Latinos, and so are Panamanians, Peruvians, Costa Ricans and Brazilians. That are called Latinos because they come from Latin America. Before they come to the USA, they do not call themselves Latinos.
4. Most Mexicans are Native Americans who speak Spanish.
5. "They are all different countries down there" --- Ronald Reagan (newly enlightened, when arriving home after his first state visit to Latin America.)
Very well put. thank you, that clears up my confusion.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:50 PM

983 posts, read 3,599,010 times
Default Latino as an abbrevation of Latinoamerican@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I, personally, include Latino/a's from Spain. I have known only one person that wants a clear division and I have to wonder if it falls into class structure. I am Italian and as a child, we made no reference as Latino/a's to each other growing up. We noted ourselves as Latin. I think that this had to do with white washing and with class (in Italy). This region is better than that region. For awhile, there was a huge thing about Italian does not equal mob. It wasn't until recently that I began to hear Italians as Latino/a and that is still in rare moments.
If you use Latino as an abbrevation of Latinoamerican@, then Latin Europeans wouldn't be included.
For me, Italians are Latin (Latin European), but not Latino (abbr. of Latinoamerican@). Confusing eh? But that's just the way I use it personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
I don't consider any north american hispanic(wtf? hispanola?) latino. Latino is reserved for Latin Europe.
Not if you use it as an abbrevation of Latinoamerican@.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:58 PM

My Mom was Italian--I am an "American", with Italian ancestry. and most proud of Both. but first, I'm a Texan.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:01 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,233,106 times
Spaniards and Italians are actual Latinos. If you are Meso-American you are not Latino. Mestizo is the preferred term. Now kindly stop hijacking the cultures of others.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:00 AM

Italians are Italians, and Spaniards are Spaniards, Germans are Germans, and so on. why all the new confusing terminology? Those Names have worked for quite some time now. Almost seem some people want a ancestral tie to a Country they actually may have no ancestral tie with.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:01 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
Spaniards and Italians are actual Latinos. If you are Meso-American you are not Latino. Mestizo is the preferred term. Now kindly stop hijacking the cultures of others.
Wrong, wrong and wrong.

"Latino" was historically never a word in English or any other language. It is a prefix that was used in the Spanish expression "Latinoamericano", and shortened by English speakers to 'Latino' to refer to Latin Americans. Which, in general, means anyone from a Spanish or Portuguese dominated area of the Americas.

Meso-American comes from the root meaning "middle America" refers to Central America, the geographical region from the Isthmus of Tehuantepec to the Isthmus of Panama. It is a geographical term, not a socio-cultural term. Archaeologists use it to refer to the area from Mexico City through Nicaragua, where the Olmec and Mayan cultures flourished.

Mestizo is the Spanish word for "mixed". A person is Mestizo only if there is clear ancestry from both Native American and European origin. A very high percentage of the people of Mexico have no European ancestry, and are therefore not Mestizo. There are very few Mestizos in Chile and Argentina, where nearly everyone is of only European descent.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-09-2009 at 09:10 AM..

Old 11-09-2009, 09:05 AM

I think some People are seeking validation in their ancestry, and are confused as to the meaning of various names.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:37 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
It's deeper than that. It extends to plays, movies, literature, art, dance, values and beliefs. World view.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
It's deeper than that. It extends to plays, movies, literature, art, dance, values and beliefs. World view.
Sorry, but what does that mean??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies