Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 01:40 PM

9,925 posts, read 4,686,408 times

Advertisements

Leftists in Japan want to cancel student loan debt of those with children.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...bt-birth-plan/

Some of the rationalizations include Japan's declining birth rate

Leftists,liberals everywhere including Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2023, 04:30 PM

20,116 posts, read 20,922,481 times
We should just do away with money altogether.
Let’s go back to jousting, dueling, trading, etc…

Old 03-04-2023, 04:54 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,409,611 times
I lived in Japan more than a decade and speak d write the language. I will say the Japanese do things out of necessity to survive. They have few resources and have always had to strive to be efficient. Call them leftists if you want. However our style of doing things would never work there. They do it because that is the only way to move forward, not because they are a bunch of virtue signaling idiots. Competition to gain admission to university is fierce and you aren't allowed in if you are a moron.

I would caution people that have never lived in Japan let alone visited to educate themselves before making idiotic comments. The Japanese put a high value on education. Their kids go to school all year long, six days a week. If you expect to get into a university you like you have to send your kid to cram school in addition to have a chance.

Old 03-04-2023, 04:57 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,975,417 times
Cancelling student loan debt of those with children is one way to encourage people to have children. In the US, we do it with child tax credits. Same difference.

Old 03-04-2023, 05:08 PM

13,030 posts, read 9,573,030 times
In my youth, in the 1960s, my high school only had two grades - 11 and 12 (four grades, 7-10) were in high school. But the city system had a junior college, called 'community college' these days. The junior college was free to students in the school zone, so there was no student debt to cancel.. The city referred to those students as being in grades 13 and 14, and was generally for students who didn't qualify for 4-year colleges, or couldn't afford the tuition.

Old 03-04-2023, 05:08 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,409,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Cancelling student loan debt of those with children is one way to encourage people to have children. In the US, we do it with child tax credits. Same difference.
With how long Japanese people live it's possible to be in your 60s taking care of your parents who are in their 90s and your children are in their 30s with your grandchildren all in one house. Japan doesn't give hand outs to people that don't produce.

Old 03-04-2023, 07:12 PM

16,572 posts, read 10,676,390 times
Japan's birth rate is one of the lowest in the world, so it stands to reason that they'd be looking for ways to prop it up. If this particular plan would help, then it may well make sense for them to give it a try.

Old 03-04-2023, 07:30 PM

4,929 posts, read 2,073,199 times
In Japan’s case, I wouldn’t call it WOKE-ism or even a Leftist issue, it’s more like trying to convince the Japanese people to bred more to keep there heritage and culture alive. This is just a response to address why Japanese couples are not having kids and to convince them to have a few.

I think that in Japanese society of an overly strong work ethic has affected their birth rates. I’m only guessing, but it is now also affecting most every western country as well, to include South Korea. I’m not an expert on Japan, but hearing stories of the hours they work is crazy and that it is actually physically killing, not suicide, which is a separate issue, but killing people is a sad statement on your society. You know it’s bad if there are “sleep” capsules at the train stations.

I also read something that a lot of the younger generation are pushing back on mainstream Japanese thinking and probably one of the reasons for their low birthrate.

I don’t know how to fix this, but I did my part, in the US, by fathering four kids, which has led to four grand children AND hopefully more in a few more years.

Old 03-04-2023, 07:36 PM

7,491 posts, read 3,897,112 times
Unless they want to disappear as a nation, Japan needs to take drastic steps.

That could include massive tax cuts for families with stay-at-home mothers. Maybe even 10-year rent moratoriums.

And if those don't work, how about banning women from college and the workplace, like the old days? They had no problems with the birthrate back then, did they?

As an added benefit, even the hikikomoris could find employment and wives.

Old 03-04-2023, 07:49 PM

6,829 posts, read 9,386,068 times
Maybe we can convince Joe Biden to send some money to Japan to fund this, so, you know, Japanese citizens can “have some money in their pockets,” just like how we’re sending money Ukraine for that purpose. Joe and Democrats always want to put America last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies