Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 04:06 AM

20,116 posts, read 20,915,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The only think I see is your desire to be as imperial as Russia is trying to be now. To me this sounds more like "he drank a bunch of alcohol, so I'll do it too". Not intelligent thinking.
Yes. We need to conquer and seize Mexico. We should go after Russia and China as well.
They are already coming for us and we are allowing it to happen. This country needs its balls back.

Old 03-08-2023, 06:12 AM

73,097 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yes. We need to conquer and seize Mexico. We should go after Russia and China as well.
They are already coming for us and we are allowing it to happen. This country needs its balls back.
This country needs to focus of defending itself, keeping itself together, and improving itself from within. Taking over, conquering, and ruling other countries isn't feasible nor is it a good idea.

Of course, I would expect you to say such things. You also mentioned wanting segregation to return.

Old 03-08-2023, 06:34 AM

45,254 posts, read 26,502,350 times
Quote:
This country needs to focus of defending itself, keeping itself together, and improving itself from within. Taking over, conquering, and ruling other countries isn't feasible nor is it a good idea.

Of course, I would expect you to say such things. You also mentioned wanting segregation to return.
One side isn't going to all of the sudden start embracing the values of the other, you’ll need brute force to keep it together and that won’t hold for long

Old 03-08-2023, 06:41 AM

63,019 posts, read 29,223,046 times
Quote:
It's a small sampling size and Blacks are the most likely not to support it. 46% don't support it while 29% do. 25% are undecided. 40% of Asians don't support it while 38% do. 22% are undecided. Hispanics are split on the issue while Whites the most supportive.

I've said this so many times. Secession will not go as cleanly or as smoothly as anyone thinks. It might turn into alot more ethnic and racial strife.
Actually secession would help eliminate ethnic and racial strife. We already have the latter by staying together when we don't share or have similar cultural, political and social beliefs.

When I speak of secession I'm not just talking about Texas either. I really don't want to see it happen but what are the alternatives these days?

Old 03-08-2023, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
As a general rule I try to refrain from opining on the subject of secession regarding the United States of America , as in my humble view it is a highly speculative scenario which is not only above my own personal paygrade to adequately comment on , but probably that of many others far more knowledgeable than myself due to the so many different variables involved which are ( quite likely ) impossible to accurately predict at this stage .

All that typed , as others have already very astutely pointed out , if such an affair were to occur ( particularly in a state as diverse as contemporary Texas ) it would probably get very messy rather fast , which is partly why I cannot personally favor the thought of individual states seceding once again .

It's nevertheless important to state that one shouldn't entirely discount the thought of this sort of ( or essentially similar ) event playing out , especially since there seems to be no end in sight with respect to the lessening of the deep divisions which plague the United States to this very day .

In conclusion I can only write that I sincerely hope that Texas , or any other individual state , won't end up seceding/somehow things won't end up getting half as bad in the USA as so many have been predicting they will .
I've being trying to get some people to see this. Secession isn't going to happen as clean or as smoothly as some people want to believe. Demographics are going to be a factor. In one post, I showed how race and opposing Texas secession correlate. Now imagine other southern states, like South Carolina, Georgia, and Mississippi. I don't think we're going to see a Velvet Divorce like that which created the Czech Republic and Slovakia. I see more of a possibility of this turning into a Yugoslavia-style event. I look at history and demographics.

Old 03-08-2023, 06:52 AM

8,080 posts, read 10,097,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Personally, I think we should just give Texas back to Mexico. That would solve our problems, their problems, and the illegal immigrant problems.

Oh, and throw Florida in with the deal.
Amen !

They want to go? Let them. It would eliminate a lot of the sucking on America's teet by a bunch of folks that are living in the last century.

It's a social, political and economic win-win for the rest of America.

Old 03-08-2023, 06:52 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,061,344 times
So in Canada Quebec has been threatening to leave for years.

Thing is -- it's not that easy.
It would cost more than it would gain anything.

It's all for show
And it plays well with simple minded folk.

Old 03-08-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Could be, but Texans have been talking "secede" since forever. Back in the bumper sticker days about every third or fourth car had a "Secede" bumper sticker on it.
Not just some Texans, some southerners too. Hank Williams Jr wrote a song called "If The South Woulda Won". He obviously wished that the South had won the war.

Old 03-08-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Nope. You're not kicking Texas out, for sure, and you're not kicking any other states out.

We're the United States of America. If you don't want to live here, live somewhere else.

I do agree that Puerto Rico is a nice property, so maybe moving there would be a positive.

Otherwise, we ALL BELONG HERE.
I get the sentiment.

Old 03-08-2023, 07:15 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,671,509 times
Quote:
Not just some Texans, some southerners too. Hank Williams Jr wrote a song called "If The South Woulda Won". He obviously wished that the South had won the war.
He was playing to his base and folks were not quite as easily triggered today as they are today. The tune was rather catchy in fact.. not something you hear on the radio these days but i remember not that long ago playing it for my young daughter just to see her reaction.. it was priceless.. she was flabbergasted.

I don't necessarily think he wishes the South had won the war any more than some rapper wants all cops to die.. Art to some, trash to others, go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies