Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 02:08 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,825,931 times

Advertisements

Academia has way too much money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 02:23 PM

52,457 posts, read 53,021,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
It’s what you get from a particular group that pursues academia as a profession, particularly at the higher education levels. These people will never actually hold a job, but will spend their entire lives convincing each other just how brilliant they are, and how much we need them to tell us how the world works.

No greater or more dangerous blend of arrogance and ignorance exists than the that of the leftwing progressive liberal college professor. Double that for the Professor of Psychology.
I agree with every word here.

Two of the most ''learned" men I've known in my life were the one's without advanced formal training at a college or university.

It's amazing how much you can learn by reading and observing the world around you.

I don't know how much formal education you have, but you're a superb writer and a great communicator of your thoughts and ideas. I myself wish I was more articulate and a better writer, but I'm working on it.

I've been a techie type most of my life and writing and communicating wasn't as much of a priority and never had much use for being a wordy kind of person. Now, later in life I've had a shift in views and appreciate language and being able to to communicate in a way that conveys my thoughts clearly.

It's kind of weird in a way, I've transitioned to a work role where while it's still technical things I'm dealing with, but I now have to write reports and spend a lot of time communicating with various groups of people via email.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:53 PM

4,717 posts, read 2,002,749 times
they can pry my Fried Chicken out of my cold dead hands right after they pry my Gun.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,933 posts, read 81,996,937 times
There are definite differences in how people select, prepare and cook their food. I am reminded of when I worked in Oakland, CA, and for some reason the subject pf preparing dinner vegetables came up. I was amazed to find that all 4 of the Black employees in that discussion always wash their produce, including lettuce and spinach in a dishpan or sink with soapy water.
The rest of us, Asian, Hispanic and White simply give them a quick rinse, and then only if we see soil on them. That was in the 1980s, maybe it's changed since.

Old 03-10-2023, 03:00 PM

38,753 posts, read 22,528,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Academia has way too much money.
Just more proof that educated people does not mean they are intelligent, smart, informed or wise. It just means they absorbed whatever crapola their professor made them absorb.

Check out this video for one great example that book smart means Jack Diddly squat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSajOhMtikw

Old 03-10-2023, 03:02 PM

37,198 posts, read 42,408,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree with every word here.

Two of the most ''learned" men I've known in my life were the one's without advanced formal training at a college or university.

It's amazing how much you can learn by reading and observing the world around you.

I don't know how much formal education you have, but you're a superb writer and a great communicator of your thoughts and ideas. I myself wish I was more articulate and a better writer, but I'm working on it.

I've been a techie type most of my life and writing and communicating wasn't as much of a priority and never had much use for being a wordy kind of person. Now, later in life I've had a shift in views and appreciate language and being able to to communicate in a way that conveys my thoughts clearly.

It's kind of weird in a way, I've transitioned to a work role where while it's still technical things I'm dealing with, but I now have to write reports and spend a lot of time communicating with various groups of people via email.
You and GuyNTexas both articulate your thoughts well.

Old 03-10-2023, 03:09 PM

4,393 posts, read 4,267,148 times
I wonder if she isn't referring so much what the preparation of the chicken is, but more the manner in which we eat it. Here in the Deep South, I get strange looks whenever I eat fried chicken because I use a knife and fork. It's not so much race as it is class, perhaps. Many people would not realize that it is not appropriate to pick up a piece of meat with their hands and eat it at a formal dinner, for example.

I attended a dinner sponsored by the late William Raspberry, a Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist for the Washington Post, and a proud Mississippian. Raspberry was from Okolona where he founded his non-profit Baby Steps to help ensure that children in his home town had a good start in life. The cosponsor of the dinner was Operation Shoestring, another local non-profit whose mission is to provide afterschool enrichment to children in one of the more distressed areas of Jackson. The main dish for the dinner was a Cornish game hen, roasted whole with vegetables on the side. It was distressing to see so many of the attendees, mostly children and their parents from the area seem so at sea about how to get the food into their mouths. It was a cultural shibboleth in action, that has stayed with me forever. I went on to make sure that we covered Food and Dining in our French class so that my students would be aware of the obstacles before they arose.

That's what came to my mind when I read Abad's comments--cultural shibboleths.

Old 03-10-2023, 03:22 PM

38,753 posts, read 22,528,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I wonder if she isn't referring so much what the preparation of the chicken is, but more the manner in which we eat it. Here in the Deep South, I get strange looks whenever I eat fried chicken because I use a knife and fork. It's not so much race as it is class, perhaps. Many people would not realize that it is not appropriate to pick up a piece of meat with their hands and eat it at a formal dinner, for example.

I attended a dinner sponsored by the late William Raspberry, a Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist for the Washington Post, and a proud Mississippian. Raspberry was from Okolona where he founded his non-profit Baby Steps to help ensure that children in his home town had a good start in life. The cosponsor of the dinner was Operation Shoestring, another local non-profit whose mission is to provide afterschool enrichment to children in one of the more distressed areas of Jackson. The main dish for the dinner was a Cornish game hen, roasted whole with vegetables on the side. It was distressing to see so many of the attendees, mostly children and their parents from the area seem so at sea about how to get the food into their mouths. It was a cultural shibboleth in action, that has stayed with me forever. I went on to make sure that we covered Food and Dining in our French class so that my students would be aware of the obstacles before they arose.

That's what came to my mind when I read Abad's comments--cultural shibboleths.
I remember very clearly eating chicken at a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant in the Philippines. Apparently it was a little embarrassing for the people i was with, when I immediately picked up the chicken with my hands.

I received a nudge and a whisper, advising me that "we don't eat this chicken with our hands." I suddenly noticed that everyone else was using a knife and fork. So I did too.

I did quietly inform the person next to me that their company motto is "It's finger licking good." She smiled back, "But not here." LOL

Old 03-10-2023, 03:23 PM

52,457 posts, read 53,021,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You and GuyNTexas both articulate your thoughts well.
Thanks, tried to rep you.

Old 03-10-2023, 09:38 PM

37,954 posts, read 17,970,730 times
I know what this is about, the Professor has a monetary interest in a local chicken shack.

Dark meat - btw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies