Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 11:35 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times

Advertisements

I honestly don't think that there are more gay people today than in times past. There are more openly gay people, but being gay is as old as the hills. It was extremely prevalent in (among other periods) Ancient Greece, Elizabethan England, Renaissance Italy, etc. There is strong evidence to suggest that people from Socrates to Leonardo Da Vinci to Alexander the Great to Elton John have all been gay or bisexual.

The cultural pendulum swings back and forth on this. Either way, it's not something we invented.

It's amazing how every generation thinks that they invented sex. (especially anything other than missionary-style, heterosexual sex.)

Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
I must be going now = I cant prove you wrong. LOL
Actually, until you can prove what I stated wrong, your argument has nothing to back it up.

What occurs in nature is natural. You CAN'T refute that, point blank.

And my mistake for having a life which involves sleeping instead of wasting my time on people on the internet who can't even back up their arguments.

Refute what I typed, then you're worth my time. I already know you can't, but you won't admit that, so whatever.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I honestly don't think that there are more gay people today than in times past. There are more openly gay people, but being gay is as old as the hills. It was extremely prevalent in (among other periods) Ancient Greece, Elizabethan England, Renaissance Italy, etc. There is strong evidence to suggest that people from Socrates to Leonardo Da Vinci to Alexander the Great to Elton John have all been gay or bisexual.

The cultural pendulum swings back and forth on this. Either way, it's not something we invented.

It's amazing how every generation thinks that they invented sex. (especially anything other than missionary-style, heterosexual sex.)
If this is so, why aren't there near as many old men who grew up in the '40s and '50s coming out of the closet in this more accepting society? Granted, there are a few, but its just a blip compared to the amount of gay teenagers that are coming out. While there have always been homosexuals, there has definately been a sharp rise in the amount of homosexuals in the past 50 years.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:39 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
I must be going now = I cant prove you wrong. LOL
Um, it could be 1:30 AM in his/her time zone and time for bed. You really DO jump to conclusions don't you?

When you describe gay people as diseased or unnatural, it does come across rather negatively. You seem to suggest that we are our bodies, nothing more. The human anatomy is capable of reproducing, even the bodies of gay people. But we are able to use our bodies for many other things, many things which have barely been explored. When one expands the definition of who they are to include their mind and their soul, the body is seen as just one part of the picture. Sex is not always for procreation. That is the biological result of some sexual acts, but it is not the purpose. One uses the body to experience three-dimensional life. Whether one procreates or not, it's their choice. In no way is homosexuality a disease that needs fixing. Those "afflicted" with it are not holding telethons to beg for a cure.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:47 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
If this is so, why aren't there near as many old men who grew up in the '40s and '50s coming out of the closet in this more accepting society? Granted, there are a few, but its just a blip compared to the amount of gay teenagers that are coming out. While there have always been homosexuals, there has definately been a sharp rise in the amount of homosexuals in the past 50 years.
There are 3 times as many people on this planet as there were 50 years ago.
Gay characters on TV and movies are no longer forbidden.
Fifty years ago, one didn't come out of the closet until one felt safe, while today's teenagers have far fewer obstacles to their expression.
The men of the 40s and 50s would be all be over 70 now and that demographic is dwindling. Besides, what good is it to have a coming out party when you're 80?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:52 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Sometimes you can buy a brand new TV in the store, take it home and plug it in and it doesnt work. Is that normal? No, it happens as this could of been an oversite at the factory quality control or damaged during shipping. Accidents happen. TV is designed to work right out of the box, sometimes like the examples I just gave, they dont.

Homosexuality does not fit the definition of a disease, nor does a major appliance that fails to work when you plug it in

Last edited by SLCPUNK; 05-30-2008 at 12:23 AM..

Old 05-30-2008, 05:12 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
So what? Some people chose to reproduce some people don't. Running out of people doesn't seem to be a global concern.

Gay people can and do reproduce. They just don't do it within the narrow minded confines that you seem to consider "normal." Does that make you "abnormal" and mentally defective?

No they dont. They can adopt but thats only because offending someone is worse than damaging a childs development in todays world.

Homosexuality, while not a disease is certainly an abnormality & if not a disease, then its learned behavior & subjecting innocent kids to it does nobody any good.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:15 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Um, it could be 1:30 AM in his/her time zone and time for bed. You really DO jump to conclusions don't you?

. Those "afflicted" with it are not holding telethons to beg for a cure.
Sure they are. The cure you seek is redefining words to make the abnormal normal. I'v nothing against gay people, but they are just people & arent able to change reality simply because they dont like it.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:17 AM

196 posts, read 208,480 times
Quote:
Sometimes you can buy a brand new TV in the store, take it home and plug it in and it doesnt work. Is that normal? No, it happens as this could of been an oversite at the factory quality control or damaged during shipping. Accidents happen. TV is designed to work right out of the box, sometimes like the examples I just gave, they dont.

The same thing happens with human births. Every now and then a child is born with an extra limb or something missing or some sort of birth defect like being gay or lesbian. We dont know why this happens yet. Of course we cant take them back. We have to love the kids as parents no matter what. But the point is that it is NOT normal and should not be glorified. One day there will be a "cure".

Whether you believe in God or not. After all, we as humans are designed to reproduce, are we not?

This point of view has nothing to do with political or religious views. It is just logical thinking. Prove me wrong if you disagree.
oh I get it now, defective tv's are caused by rosie o'donnell and tammy faye reruns....thanks, perfect cure....

btw, if youre going to compare humans to appliances, you should stick with microwave ovens....

Old 05-30-2008, 06:27 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
No they dont. They can adopt but thats only because offending someone is worse than damaging a childs development in todays world.

Homosexuality, while not a disease is certainly an abnormality & if not a disease, then its learned behavior & subjecting innocent kids to it does nobody any good.
I know two lesbian couples raising biological children. One used a sperm bank the other a surrogate father. You have a narrow bigoted view of reproduction.

As the English are fond of saying, "It's a rare man who knows his real father." Are you sure about your parentage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies