Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2023, 12:11 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,102,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
again, you have proven you have never been there nor driven it. You can SEE and HEAR the surrounding interstate(s) and US and FL routes from the property and disney does not now, never have nor ever will own THAT. Since I drive, not fly, on the last day when I get out, within 5 minutes I am in wall to wall traffic on a 4+ lane.

the last time I was there I stayed at:
Comfort Inn Kissimmee-Lake Buena Vista South

lookitup.

Which is just over 7 non-crow miles from the 'Magic pedophile-dom'. 7 is less than 15.

This is not, by far the closest non-disney hotel to the property. Within 10 miles I have no fewer than **24** properties to choose from controlled by the same brand. 10 is less than 15. 4 of them are LESS THAN 5. 5 is less than 15.

Once you leave Osceola pkwy - not disney owned and enter the private property along w buena vista drive to the intersection of western, it is <2 miles - ergo my statement of a 2 mile driveway.

You know they did - a coupla decades ago - invent this thing called 'mapquest' which lets you pull up directions and it gives mileages and local attractions and food fuel and lodging....

if we are to consider EVERY inch that disney owns, I would say that no location within the property is 5 miles from non disney holdings. If you can drive around within the gates and put 30 miles on the ODO circling everything, well aint that special.

It is a large park yes. it covers many square miles yes, but it does not control or own the area you think it does and these locations I am detailing with hyper accurate detail are all...

once again....

wait for it....

hotels....

motels.....

and tourist traps.....

ever been to ANY of the million - million-five 'antique stores' along osceola? it dont get much more touristy trappy than that.

(and anyone who knows anything about the area in general and attractions knows that busch and olde circus world et al were far far better ANYWAYS)

Im gonna go out on a limb and guess...you likely have not been to the anaheim location EITHER? ready to test my local knowledge? Im up for it!
The topic is how Disney has one upped the Governor again, if you want to play Magic Kingdom Trivia find the Disney Fans Page and play there.....

Old 03-30-2023, 12:11 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
WHat part of Disney struggling do you not understand? Do you not watch the news or even pay attention to the postings on this very forum about it??
Lay offs yes, a decline in visitors no. My family works in the Orlando area. One in communications making 6 figures and his kids at the resorts. My ex boss is head of a security firm that handles the large hotels. Are there changes? yup, will Disney fail? no. It’s one area of their corporation - the streaming bz has gone amuck. Nothing to do with Ronnie.

Walt Disney World attendance has surged by millions of guests annually, and almost every single day of 2023 will be significantly more crowded than 2013. Similarly, last year was much busier than 2020 and 2021. Last year also ended up eclipsing 2019 thanks to a strong holiday season.

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/wh...%20a%20strong%

February that it would eliminate 7,000 jobs as part of an effort to save $5.5 billion in costs and make its money-losing “streaming business “ profitable.

Officials for two of the unions representing cast members at Walt Disney World Resorts in “Orlando, Florida” said “guest-facing” services were not expected to be affected by the layoffs.

Many had expected cuts to fall heavily on the Disney Media and Entertainment Division, which was eliminated in a corporate restructuring.

https://www.reuters.com/business/wal...fs-2023-03-27/

Old 03-30-2023, 12:16 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Does it look like Disney is "sucking it up"? Does Florida know every single expenditure Disney has chosen to spend in Florida? Does Florida think Disney hasn't chosen to move all Disney investment outside of the parks to other states? Disney has already shown they are smarter than Floridians give them credit for.
In the end they will. Disney's Florida tax breaks/loopholes etc. are a vulnerability and have raised eyebrows in the state long before DeSantis, including some on the left.

I have no doubt that there are currently discussions in the Disney executive suite about the wisdom of picking a fight with a popular Florida governor over kindergarten sex ed.

Even less wise is picking a fight with a presidential front-runner.

Old 03-30-2023, 12:19 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,310,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Rumor has it that many in the FL legislature did not fully support DeSantis in this particular fight. There is talk that everyone is just planning to sit tight until he decides to run for President and has to resign as Gov....
The FL state legislature is expected to modify FL law by May 5, 2023 - to ensure that DeSantis can retain his governor position while running for president. He most likely would keep his governor job while running in the GOP primary.

With this Disney board fiasco, as well as with Trump's surge in polling, it's questionable whether DeSantis can win the GOP primary. His polling numbers are decreasing and this was before it was revealed that the mouse tricked him. That will make his poll numbers worse.

Old 03-30-2023, 12:22 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
In the end they will. Disney's Florida tax breaks/loopholes etc. are a vulnerability and have raised eyebrows in the state long before DeSantis, including some on the left.

I have no doubt that there are currently discussions in the Disney executive suite about the wisdom of picking a fight with a popular Florida governor over kindergarten sex ed.

Considering there are over a thousand "special tax districts" in Florida, Disney might next sue the state for treating them differently. They could do that in addition to the move they just made. How popular will Florida's governor be when his Disney targeted actions are applied to places like The Villages resulting in them losing their special tax district designation?

Disney has a lot of cards to play and the governor's board didn't even see this one coming.

Old 03-30-2023, 12:23 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,182,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post

Disney cannot even hang onto espn, another struggling company

Old 03-30-2023, 12:25 PM

10,876 posts, read 4,551,006 times
Quote:
It's kind of fascinating watching the GOP wish for the end of Disney in Florida..

nah the premise is false. and has nothing to do with the GOP. It has to do with the parents and the weird on spot always-sexual topics that disney bestows upon, and brings to our kids. every look up how many kids vanish each year into trafficking? (I thot the left cared about that)

Last year they arrested no fewer than 160 people down there, some disney employees who acted as spotters, others were logistical and groomers. This was in 2 separate stings of epstein-related underage entities. why is THAT not the topic? as long as disney aids and abets this: yup, want them to fail. Why exactly, would not anyone else? isnt that the LARGER question? (hint: yes)

side question, but very telling: of all those in this thread SUPPORTIVE of the Pedo-kingdom, how many of you are or were-ever parents? 1? 2? none?

Old 03-30-2023, 12:35 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
nah the premise is false. and has nothing to do with the GOP. It has to do with the parents and the weird on spot always-sexual topics that disney bestows upon, and brings to our kids. every look up how many kids vanish each year into trafficking? (I thot the left cared about that)

Last year they arrested no fewer than 160 people down there, some disney employees who acted as spotters, others were logistical and groomers. This was in 2 separate stings of epstein-related underage entities. why is THAT not the topic? as long as disney aids and abets this: yup, want them to fail. Why exactly, would not anyone else? isnt that the LARGER question? (hint: yes)

side question, but very telling: of all those in this thread SUPPORTIVE of the Pedo-kingdom, how many of you are or were-ever parents? 1? 2? none?
So capitalism is no longer the guide in Florida? By applying different laws to Disney (removing special tax district) than all the other special tax districts in Florida because Disney spoke against a new law (free speech anyone???) it proves the GOP in Florida does not support either? I'm thinking a lot of these things are going to be hot topics in presidential debates.

Old 03-30-2023, 12:37 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,533 times
Quote:
Considering there are over a thousand "special tax districts" in Florida, Disney might next sue the state for treating them differently. They could do that in addition to the move they just made. How popular will Florida's governor be when his Disney targeted actions are applied to places like The Villages resulting in them losing their special tax district designation?

Disney has a lot of cards to play and the governor's board didn't even see this one coming.
Disney will keep their tax breaks, but is going to cost them and part of the price will be a more measured approach to meddling in Florida politics.

Disney has a lot of cards to play but don't forget the house usually wins in the end.

Old 03-30-2023, 12:40 PM

4,395 posts, read 1,703,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Disney cannot even hang onto espn, another struggling company
Disney is not struggling. Lol. They are gigantic. They are in no danger of going anywhere, being sold to anyone, or filing bankruptcy. We have very different ideas of the definition of “struggling.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies