Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 11:05 AM

18,740 posts, read 7,635,825 times

Advertisements

Every time there's a mass shooting, the only alternatives people seem to examine, are either "ban more and more guns", or "everybody should be armed".

How about if we simply let the 2nd amendment do what it was originally intended to do?

If everyone is allowed to carry a gun, would everybody do it? Of course not. Most wouldn't bother.

But a few probably would.

And the guy who wants to commit mass murder, would know it. If he wants to go someplace where nobody could shoot back, and divert him from the body counts he wanted to rack up....

.... a get-together, or a public place like a store, office, concert, etc. festival where probably several out of a hundred people were armed, would be the LAST place he'd want to open fire. He might not be afraid of dying. But his plan is often to rack up a huge body count and get weeks of lurid headlines after the police finally show up and kill him.

If the 2nd amendment were actually upheld and enforced as written, and all law-abiding adults were freely allowed to carry a gun, most still wouldn't bother. But a few would.

And a criminal planning to rob a store, shoot up an office, or murder or rape someone in the street, shoot up a school etc., would know that there was a pretty good chance that some of the people in the crowd or campus were armed, and knew how to use their weapons.

Some of the crazier criminals might go ahead and commit their crimes anyway. But a number of them would consider the increased risk to himself, and decide not to commit it, than do nowadays.

Presto, a mass shooting prevented, all without a shot being fired.

Why don't we try upholding the 2nd amendment, instead of expecting government to make everything better? If someone were contemplating killing people, but knows there's probably someone near him armed and ready, he's less likely to even start.

The main use of civilian-owned firearms is to DETER crimes. Which is a far better result than the results we have gotten from every government so-called "gun control" scheme, which have never resulted in ANY reduction in crime.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:22 AM

19,731 posts, read 10,160,319 times
Exactly. Most gun homicides occur where the gun laws are the strictest.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:30 PM

18,740 posts, read 7,635,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Exactly. Most gun homicides occur where the gun laws are the strictest.
And that's long after the gun laws have been implemented. The people doing the shooting and killing, kept right on shooting and killing, with those laws having no effect.

Old 11-08-2021, 01:32 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,967,481 times
I live in AZ, which other than Wyoming probably has the highest number of people who actually do carry. I did a rough calculation awhile ago using Arizona's CCW statistics. I forget the numbers, but at the time about 250,000 permits were issued, about half to residents of other states.

Anyway, I figured out that at any given time only about 2 per hundred people with CCW's were actually carrying a sidearm. That pretty much bears out what I see IRL. Seldom do I see people conceal or open carrying. Even though you don't need a permit to carry here. Yes I know, concealed is concealed, but I've noticed most folks who do carry here tend to open carry, and every lady I know has a pistol in her purse.

If I'm in town going into a business or walking in my neighborhood, then I pull my shirt over my sidearm or wear a cover garment. Otherwise I open carry. Not to intimidate or deter, but simply because it's 120 degrees in AZ half the year, and I don't like sweating all over my $2,000 pistol! Also inside the waistband (behind belts and clothing) carry results in a LOT of lint and junk clogging your firearm.

I remember going into a bar out in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming several years ago for lunch. EVERYONE at the bar had a pistol on their belt and a couple sitting at a table had a Winchester leaning up against a chair. I thought I'd stepped back into the 1870's - I nearly introduced myself as the "Arizona Kid!" It was a very pleasant meal.

Last edited by jamies; 11-08-2021 at 03:01 PM..

Old 11-08-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard2SwallowPills_ View Post
The problem is when everyone thinks they’re the good guy with the gun and the other good guy is the bad guy.
Very, very seldom does a legal gun owner shoot anyone. I have shown my gun twice to deter muggers.

Old 11-08-2021, 02:57 PM

3,086 posts, read 3,273,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Every time there's a mass shooting, the only alternatives people seem to examine, are either "ban more and more guns", or "everybody should be armed".

How about if we simply let the 2nd amendment do what it was originally intended to do?

If everyone is allowed to carry a gun, would everybody do it? Of course not. Most wouldn't bother.

But a few probably would.

And the guy who wants to commit mass murder, would know it. If he wants to go someplace where nobody could shoot back, and divert him from the body counts he wanted to rack up....

.... a get-together, or a public place like a store, office, concert, etc. festival where probably several out of a hundred people were armed, would be the LAST place he'd want to open fire. He might not be afraid of dying. But his plan is often to rack up a huge body count and get weeks of lurid headlines after the police finally show up and kill him.

If the 2nd amendment were actually upheld and enforced as written, and all law-abiding adults were freely allowed to carry a gun, most still wouldn't bother. But a few would.

And a criminal planning to rob a store, shoot up an office, or murder or rape someone in the street, shoot up a school etc., would know that there was a pretty good chance that some of the people in the crowd or campus were armed, and knew how to use their weapons.

Some of the crazier criminals might go ahead and commit their crimes anyway. But a number of them would consider the increased risk to himself, and decide not to commit it, than do nowadays.

Presto, a mass shooting prevented, all without a shot being fired.

Why don't we try upholding the 2nd amendment, instead of expecting government to make everything better? If someone were contemplating killing people, but knows there's probably someone near him armed and ready, he's less likely to even start.

The main use of civilian-owned firearms is to DETER crimes. Which is a far better result than the results we have gotten from every government so-called "gun control" scheme, which have never resulted in ANY reduction in crime.
Simple, show how the several states that have instituted Constitutional Carry have seen a decrease in violent crime and one would have empirical evidence of an armed public being an effective _deterrent_.

Old 11-08-2021, 03:27 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,802,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Simple, show how the several states that have instituted Constitutional Carry have seen a decrease in violent crime and one would have empirical evidence of an armed public being an effective _deterrent_.
MAD was good enough for the Soviet Union. There's nothing you can do to stop a crazy suicidal maniac besides lethal force.

Last edited by albert648; 11-08-2021 at 04:10 PM..

Old 11-08-2021, 03:35 PM

27,190 posts, read 15,367,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post

Gun Control disarms the lawful from the criminal and encourages that behavior.

Old 11-08-2021, 03:36 PM

27,190 posts, read 15,367,981 times

Old 11-08-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Almost all murders in those states are in gang areas and it is the gang culture. St Louis and Kansas City have a lot of murders, but most of the state has very few. And in those cities, like in Chicago, it is in only a few areas. Two gun deaths in my Missouri county in 10 years and one was a homeowner shooting an armed home invader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.