Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 08:27 AM

6,684 posts, read 2,981,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
You just can't do that. The shooter could be facing murder charges and be going away for life over a truck. If he does avoid prison he is going to be bankrupt defending himself.

These guys should have blocked the truck in and not engaged the suspected criminal. That is the cops job.
At face value I agree. This dude could be in big trouble.

Quote:
noting it seems the men did not wait for police to arrive before intervening. He said the one who confronted the man inside the truck claims he saw a weapon before shooting his own gun into the truck.
Quote:
Police are still investigating whether the man in the truck actually had a weapon, which could influence whether the man who shot and killed him faces charges
Quote:
The alleged truck thief, who police described as a Hispanic man in his 30s, was later pronounced dead.
They found them in a shopping mall parking lot. They totally should have waited for police to arrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2023, 08:28 AM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
You just can't do that. The shooter could be facing murder charges and be going away for life over a truck. If he does avoid prison he is going to be bankrupt defending himself.

I can't stand criminals because they often prey on innocent people but did the guy deserve to be shot dead for stealing the truck? Was the guy in the truck even the one that stole it?

It is sad to say this but if this guy was Black and not Brown would we see the Biden DOJ jumping on this and calling it a Hate crime?

This case is very similar to the one where the white guys chased down a black guy to question him about thievery in their neighborhood. The suspect went for the gun and he was shot. All involved are now in prison.

These guys should have blocked the truck in and not engaged the suspected criminal. That is the cops job.
As much as I want to disagree with you, I can't. You are correct. One can't just hunt down a thug and kill them, legally.

That being said, that particular criminal will never steal something again. Being a thug is a high risk occupation.

Old 04-06-2023, 08:40 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,864,961 times
One less thief in the world -- don't act like that's a bad thing!

Old 04-06-2023, 11:17 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,955,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
One less thief in the world -- don't act like that's a bad thing!
I dont think anyone is arguing that. Just the repercussions for the person doing the shooting. I think we realistically need more details before giving it the blanket ok.

Old 04-06-2023, 11:33 AM

10,876 posts, read 4,555,654 times
Quote:

I can't stand criminals because they often prey on innocent people but did the guy deserve to be shot dead for stealing the truck? Was the guy in the truck even the one that stole it?

It is sad to say this but if this guy was Black and not Brown would we see the Biden DOJ jumping on this and calling it a Hate crime?

This case is very similar to the one where the white guys chased down a black guy to question him about thievery in their neighborhood. The suspect went for the gun and he was shot. All involved are now in prison.

not being an atty...and with scant deep facts, I imagine it like this:

Its texas, so the guy was armed, they ALL are. In fact I think its state law ;-) no foul here

His tracking device said his property was at some location he was not, he wanted his property, so he went to it - this is legal in ALL cases, even if the property was moved without his permission to that location - he can at all times access it. no foul here

He confronted someone in or around his truck and asserted his right to claim it and take it no foul here.

NOW, something happened, such that weapons came out, fire was exchanged.

from the story I read, is the owner of the truck even charged?

I dont know about ALL states, but many do not allow the use of deadly force to PROTECT property, not at your own location. some (like CT) have (or had) a duty to retreat such that in some cases you have to flee and attacker in your house. Texas, is not one of them. the perps death has been ruled a homicide, but texas allows intentional, negligent and justifiable tags to be added.

Im not all that sypathetic to blatant criminals. shot, hung AND sent to the russian front is a-ok with me (I show my age with the reference)

Old 04-06-2023, 11:38 AM

1,706 posts, read 637,503 times
The theif died doing what he loved. I like stories with happy endings. Thanks OP!

Old 04-06-2023, 11:41 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,421,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Being a criminal isn’t good for your health.

Any charges need to be dropped, he saved taxpayers a lot of money.
I’m hopeful the gentleman who shot the thief will be charged with murder. I’m more than happy for my tax dollars to support this individual’s stay in one of Texas’ prisons for a very extended stay.

Old 04-06-2023, 11:41 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I can't feel sorry for someone that steals another person's property.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...-1541512262291
I can't say I feel much pity, I'd rather the thief was only wounded, but we have enough filth on our streets as it is. If more carjackers were shot, there would be a lot fewer carjackings.

Old 04-06-2023, 11:57 AM

6,034 posts, read 3,749,644 times
It might very well have been "self-defense" in something similar to this: The owner tracks down the truck and is about to get in it and drive it away when the thief accosts him. The owner tries to explain that the truck belongs to him, but the thief reaches into his pocket as if to pull a weapon, whereupon the owner pulls his own weapon and fires in self-defense killing the thief.

The fact that the thief wasn't carrying a weapon is irrelevant because there is no way for the truck owner to know that beforehand. If the owner had waited to see a gun pointed at him, then he would have waited too long to save his own life because the reaction time required for the truck owner to pull a gun and fire it is longer than it takes for the thief to pull the trigger on the gun he has in his hand pointed at the truck owner's chest.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:11 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,267,244 times
Maybe its a good learning moment for future criminals in Texas and other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies