Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2023, 01:25 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,122,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The structure is built, but not up to code to actually serve as housing. Thus, money is going to be spent on bringing it up to code. And running the facility, to include furnishing, staff, etc. As you mentioned, there are jobs involved here, but I argue that spending taxpayer dollars to build (whether anew or bring an existing building up to code) homeless shelters may not be the best use of these dollars. I'd be more inclined to support increased funding for education and jobs training programs. Hell, even housing voucher programs may cost a lot less money than a state-run housing facility. I've yet to find a project that the state runs and does that costs less than a similar project would cost in the private sector. That's because government doesn't have to turn a profit and can continuously go into debt as they have tax revenues to keep funding something.

While an EV factory only makes money if taxpayers spend disposable income on the cars, the point is that we've already established a baseline where quite a few Americans are willing to invest in EVs. Also, fundamentally, the government isn't paying millions to run the factory or to employ its workers. Again, that's private enterprise at work.

In a choice between creating jobs that private enterprise will produce/train/maintain/etc. vs. the government and taxpayers doing so, I'm almost always going to be on the side of private enterprise.
Actually eminent domain is meant to directly benefit the public, not private enterprise, then trickle down to public.

In fact seizing land/assets to provide for the public, whatever that may be, is something eminent domain is suppose to be used for even if land/assets are from a private enterprise. Now as I stated earlier, this does not have to be up to code like it an actual house or apartment complex because it is not going to be a house or apartment complex. I just depends on what the goal is

Plus I also stated earlier, Ford ought to just move into a vacant lot in an already zoned industrial park. You cannot tell me there are no vacancies in industrial space inventory somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2023, 01:28 PM

21,427 posts, read 7,514,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Tennessee wants to use eminent domain to force out/evict farmers for a new Ford EV plant.

https://reason.com/2023/04/04/tennes...d-e-v-factory/

Some of that land would be used for the roads needed for the new plant.

Environmental leftists ... blah, blah, blah ...
Is it your opinion that this is the first time the State of Tennessee ever used eminent domain? Really?

.. and only because it is a manufacturing plant for electric vehicles? ... like ... if it was for gasoline powered vehicles they wouldn't do this?

Really?

Tennessee, where the state legislature has a super majority of conservative Republicans and a conservative Republican governor and two conservative Republican Senators?

Really? .. Tennessee? ... but, you know ... lefties blah blah blah

LOL

Old 04-10-2023, 01:28 PM

43,746 posts, read 18,772,697 times
Now we have Daimon from JPMorgan saying the government needs to use eminent domain for climate change.
Some activist sites are also promoting eminent domain to fight climate change.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/jp-mor...te-initiatives

Old 04-10-2023, 01:30 PM

30,772 posts, read 18,510,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Actually eminent domain is meant to directly benefit the public, not private enterprise, then trickle down to public.

In fact seizing land/assets to provide for the public, whatever that may be, is something eminent domain is suppose to be used for even if land/assets are from a private enterprise. Now as I stated earlier, this does not have to be up to code like it an actual house or apartment complex. I just depends on what the goal is

Plus I also stated earlier, Ford ought to just move into a vacant lot in an already zoned industrial park. You cannot tell me there are no vacancies in industrial space inventory somewhere.
I agree that this is what eminent domain should be under a more faithful reading of the Constitution (although that opens up a whole different can of worms as the takings clause is only found in the 5th Amendment, which like the rest of the Bill of Rights was only ever meant to apply against the federal government and not the states . . . it only applies to the states via the judge-made incorporation principle from the 14th Amendment). But what I feel on the matter doesn't change the reality that, at least today (and has been the case for decades now) per Supreme Court precedent, eminent domain is more expansive than that and rather easy for a state to satisfy.

And regardless of whether a complex has to be up to code like an actual house, it does still need to be brought up to code. Otherwise, you risk putting people in unsafe, unsanitary, possibly poisonous (asbestos, etc.) conditions, which might end up costing the state even more money in lawsuits, etc. But that wouldn't even be the most money spent on such a project. No, the actual running and staffing of such a project would cost more in the long run.

Old 04-10-2023, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Should be easy for you to point out one that would have been better suited for the Ford plant in question, then. Right?
I hope this link works

https://www.loopnet.com/search/indus...1ba7a079ea&e=u

Old 04-10-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

And regardless of whether a complex has to be up to code like an actual house, it does still need to be brought up to code. Otherwise, you risk putting people in unsafe, unsanitary, possibly poisonous (asbestos, etc.) conditions, which might end up costing the state even more money in lawsuits, etc. But that wouldn't even be the most money spent on such a project. No, the actual running and staffing of such a project would cost more in the long run.
I am pretty sure malls already meet this. They are afterall gathering spots for family leisure.

Old 04-10-2023, 01:36 PM

28,338 posts, read 16,475,982 times
Quote:
Which of these locations would be "better" for Ford, specifically, and why?

Old 04-10-2023, 01:57 PM

36,920 posts, read 31,177,593 times
Quote:
Why dont Ford just build the plant at a zoned industrial park. That way the infrastructure such as wide roads is already there, plus easy access to highways?

Why are they putting it in the middle of farmland? Is it to employ farmers? If farmers want to switch jobs, they can move to the nearby city. Farmland that is not being used is better off reverting to nature. Nature will repair the land from a century of monocropping. And when some other farmer is ready to move in, they will have nice fertile land.
there are many reasons corporation choose particular areas. Taxes, restrictions, regulations, work force, access, incentives from the state, are some things taken into consideration. The facility is 6 square miles or 4,100 acres. It is near Stanton on a major highway and just off 1-40 about halfway between Memphis and Jackson with smaller towns surrounding with easy access.

Farmland not being farmed does not work that way.

Old 04-10-2023, 05:37 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,642,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Marvin Sanderlin is seeing the opposite of an inflated price:

Black farming community fights to get fair deal as state takes land for Ford plant roadways
"Farmers near the new BlueOval City campus are excited by the project but say the state is offering them a fraction of what their land is worth

Marvin Sanderlin, a longtime local farmer with 400 acres, said he’d like to take advantage of the coming development, too.

But the state has taken him to court for 10 acres of his property. The land lies in the path of a planned roadway connecting the Ford plant to the interstate. The state’s offer? $37,500 — or $3,750 per acre.

“That’s unheard of,” Sanderlin said of the offer, which includes the purchase of two acres of farmland outright and compensation for another eight acres of his property that will become inaccessible with the new interchange.

“You can’t buy no land here for $3,500 an acre. You can’t buy a swamp here for $3,500” Sanderlin said. “I told them this is the biggest ripoff there is. They want your land, but they don’t want you to participate in the wealth.”"

PS: "Whitmore said. “There’s nothing we can do with $8,000 except be mad.”"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Difference is Ford was buying property on which to build their Blue Oval city. Supply and demand came into play as it does. The properties were sold at an inflated price because Ford was willing to pay that. The land in question is being purchased by the state for roads. The element of supply and demand does not apply here. It seems to me the farmers are wanting what the going price was for the highly sought after property that was purchased by Ford, but that ship sailed.
Improvements made on surrounding land, will affect the price of all surrounding land. Blue Oval City, is an improvement, land values will raise accordingly.

Old 04-10-2023, 06:04 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,231,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Tennessee wants to use eminent domain to force out/evict farmers for a new Ford EV plant.

https://reason.com/2023/04/04/tennes...d-e-v-factory/

Some of that land would be used for the roads needed for the new plant.

Environmental leftists get a 2 for. More EVs and fewer farms.
This is happening in a red state, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies