Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2023, 12:32 PM

78,644 posts, read 60,823,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Thank you for a constructive response, but looking at the map it appears direct access is available from Rt 222 without having to upgrade the Frontage Road. It seems to make better sense to build an intersection with a light than trying to upgrade the frontage road.
On further reflection and my google map wasn't showing it before at the level I was zoomed in, it looks like the main FORD plant is actually on the west side of 222 and the 2 locations along Stanton are smaller locations.

That would mean they are widening Thorpe which runs east west and maybe also the other road too.

Keep in mind, you are going to have 20k people working there plus hundreds of semis daily, so you're going to need a lot ways in and out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2023, 01:03 PM

19,281 posts, read 17,161,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
On further reflection and my google map wasn't showing it before at the level I was zoomed in, it looks like the main FORD plant is actually on the west side of 222 and the 2 locations along Stanton are smaller locations.

That would mean they are widening Thorpe which runs east west and maybe also the other road too.

Keep in mind, you are going to have 20k people working there plus hundreds of semis daily, so you're going to need a lot ways in and out.
I thought Thorpe also but that appears to be part of the Ford property, either way the left side accesses 222 at both the north and south ends and the right side has significant frontage on 222 to allow for multiple access. If they don't want to pay a fair value then pay nothing and go with the other options

Old 04-11-2023, 01:18 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,010,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
"Supposed to" according to whom?

Why should the Ford corporation, or any of its stockholders, care about that?

I have no idea what this means.
According to the law. That is why zoning exists. No duh, the Ford Corporation or its stockholders wouldnt care. But I think the state and the people living in it should care. And should steer everyone to the already zoned industrial sites, and make sure they are fully utilized before changing their landscape dramatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It wont what, be used for natural succession or sold to another small farmers? I have watched the sale and development of farmland here for the past 40+ years. Farms were passed down through generations. The older generation dies out leaving the farm to their children who have moved on for jobs and sell the property to developers for housing developments or commercial property. Or they just get old and retire selling off most of their land for the same purposes or dividing it up amongst their heirs. Little farmland remains farmland.

Look, the plans for the complex is 6 square miles of property. Its not an if. The company does what is most cost effective and best for the company. So yes they felt the factory needed to be at one site. And if you use multiple sites you will still need road improvement. The cost to demolish, rebuild or renovate bring up to code existing sites built for completely different purposes would not be as cost effective as building from the ground up.
You have one site basically downtown Nashville. Talk about bottlenecking. Rush hour traffic is already horrendous. Then your sister sites is in BFE near the prison. Have you compared the costs to purchase and rebuild/remodel. Have you looked at the workforce. Have you looked at the infrastructure. That a building has been previously built on a zoned site is not the be all end all.

For residents of TN it is about bringing jobs where jobs are needed. The state if providing funding for an onsite tech school. The area is an area that is predominantly black and economically depressed. It is also an area where jobs are needed and new businesses will benefit the small towns. The area very much wants the jobs. The only ones disgruntled are the few landowners who wont be getting the top dollar for their small strips of acreage for roads and road improvements that Ford paid for prime building acreage and even they are in favor of the plant being built there.
I first stated letting the farmland just go fallow, and revert back to nature if no one is monocropping it. Then you stated it does not work like that. So when I respond to you, what do you think I mean or am talking about? It is not that hard to figure out.

Company of course will want to do whatever it wants. The matter is whether the public should just allow them. Neither alternative that I provided is in downtown Nashville. Stop exaggerating. And I doubt Nashville traffic is even that bad.

So exactly how many people living in a black and economically repressed area are going to be able to work at Blue Oval City? How many black and economically repressed people is even there still?

Im sure there are more economically repressed blacks in Memphis which is also in West Tennessee. Are they going to move everyone out of the Memphis Ghetto over to Blue Oval City? Be better to just put Blue Oval City in Memphis. That way the economically repressed blacks dont have to put themselves into more debt to purchase a new home out near the new Blue Oval City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_9xi4H4RO0

Old 04-11-2023, 01:44 PM

36,672 posts, read 30,977,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
According to the law. That is why zoning exists. No duh, the Ford Corporation or its stockholders wouldnt care. But I think the state and the people living in it should care. And should steer everyone to the already zoned industrial sites, and make sure they are fully utilized before changing their landscape dramatically.

I first stated letting the farmland just go fallow, and revert back to nature if no one is monocropping it. Then you stated it does not work like that. So when I respond to you, what do you think I mean or am talking about? It is not that hard to figure out.

Company of course will want to do whatever it wants. The matter is whether the public should just allow them. Neither alternative that I provided is in downtown Nashville. Stop exaggerating. And I doubt Nashville traffic is even that bad.

So exactly how many people living in a black and economically repressed area are going to be able to work at Blue Oval City? How many black and economically repressed people is even there still?

Im sure there are more economically repressed blacks in Memphis which is also in West Tennessee. Are they going to move everyone out of the Memphis Ghetto over to Blue Oval City? Be better to just put Blue Oval City in Memphis. That way the economically repressed blacks dont have to put themselves into more debt to purchase a new home out near the new Blue Oval City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_9xi4H4RO0
Sigh. When is the last time you drove through Nashville at rush hour. Its not NJ, but the traffic is bad. And yes, to get to the old prison you have to through high volume traffic areas unless you are able to come in from the north.

I imagine not only those living in Staton will get jobs there but those in the surrounding small towns will commute as well as those in Memphis, Jackson and Brownsville.

As far as the farmland it still doesn't work like that. It wont go fallow and doubtful it will be sold for farming purposes. Those landowners were more than happy to sell at a very, very good price.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:07 PM

29,223 posts, read 22,434,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Eminent domain is nothing new.
Yup. It's not cheap either. The appropriated land must be paid for at current market prices.

Been there, done that. Our land was already being used as a road to access our farmland by my family, so for us, eminent domain put some substantial extra income in our pockets.

Eminent Domain never got a foot of our good land- we made the dirt road on ground we couldn't farm- waste land that was never able to grow anything but rocks.

But the state made our little road a lot better for us to use once it was scraped down smooth and paved. And it added a lot onto the price our farmland will fetch when it's put up for sale.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:11 PM

28,343 posts, read 16,423,066 times
Quote:
According to the law. That is why zoning exists. No duh, the Ford Corporation or its stockholders wouldnt care. But I think the state and the people living in it should care. And should steer everyone to the already zoned industrial sites, and make sure they are fully utilized before changing their landscape dramatically...
If the zoning changes aren't approved, Ford won't be able to build there, so your zoning distraction is moot.

Further, you keep saying "should". Your opinion is noted. I doubt anyone in Tennessee, or anyone at FoMoCo cares much about it, however.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
If the zoning changes aren't approved, Ford won't be able to build there, so your zoning distraction is moot.

Further, you keep saying "should". Your opinion is noted. I doubt anyone in Tennessee, or anyone at FoMoCo cares much about it, however.
You are sounding very petty now. You have gotten emotional I am not trying to distract. What can I even be distracting from? Its not my opinion. My suggestion of using zones for what they are zoned for is not an opinion.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
You are sounding very petty now. You have gotten emotional I am not trying to distract. What can I even be distracting from? Its not my opinion. My suggestion of using zones for what they are zoned for is not an opinion.
Nope, not at all emotional.

Your claims about what Ford "should" do certainly are opinion.

Have a great evening, Brazen.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Nope, not at all emotional.

Your claims about what Ford "should" do certainly are opinion.

Have a great evening, Brazen.
If I say, "it sucks that they are . . . " then is an opinion, but then I be wearing my emotions on my sleeves like you have been this whole conversation.

I tell you good evening too, but seems like you are too riled up for that to happen. So I just leave it.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
If I say, "it sucks that they are . . . " then is an opinion, but then I be wearing my emotions on my sleeves like you have been this whole conversation.

I tell you good evening too, but seems like you are too riled up for that to happen. So I just leave it.

Whatever you need to tell yourself, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies